FMS Lockheed P-38 Lightning 1400mm - Page 30 - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Yeah but 100 + scale speed would be like F-16 fast. Try your J-power on 4S. it really livens it up.

Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan... this is interesting.

Unfortunately, I have "version 1" with the cheap looking bell motors. Will this one (and the stock ESCs) handle 4s?

I'd unplug the rudders and the retracts of course (to save some load on the BEC)... but it still seems like a potential smoke show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHene
Well...
if you need some extra space in your hangar for a 100+ mph P-38, I would be happy to help you out by taking that fragile Eflite version off your hands.
Sure! If you have a pair of Eflite P-47s to trade, we might have a deal!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks Alan... this is interesting.

Unfortunately, I have "version 1" with the cheap looking bell motors. Will this one (and the stock ESCs) handle 4s?

I'd unplug the rudders and the retracts of course (to save some load on the BEC)... but it still seems like a potential smoke show.

Sure! If you have a pair of Eflite P-47s to trade, we might have a deal!
May be a potential smoke show but so far it has not lived up to its potential thankfully. Mine is the same version as yours and is bone stock except that I've shed the gear and it is a dedicated belly flopper. On 4S I usually run around on 1/2 throttle so i rarely push it except for the occasional flyby. I was not the first to try this as i have yet to hear of anyone smoking their electronics using 4S.

Just a thought since you want more speed. Of course two bladers would work too.
Aug 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
May be a potential smoke show but so far it has not lived up to its potential thankfully. Mine is the same version as yours and is bone stock except that I've shed the gear and it is a dedicated belly flopper. On 4S I usually run around on 1/2 throttle so i rarely push it except for the occasional flyby. I was not the first to try this as i have yet to hear of anyone smoking their electronics using 4S.

Just a thought since you want more speed. Of course two bladers would work too.
Cool...I'm going to give it a try!

For whatever it's worth, Lucien Miller www.innov8tivedesigns.com said on All Things That Fly the podcast that the ESC takes a bigger hit at half throttle than at full throttle which is counter intuitive but it made sense when he explained it.
Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Cool...I'm going to give it a try!

For whatever it's worth, Lucien Miller www.innov8tivedesigns.com said on All Things That Fly the podcast that the ESC takes a bigger hit at half throttle than at full throttle which is counter intuitive but it made sense when he explained it.
Interesting. Never would have thought that would be the case. Either way I flew mine again tonight twice on 4S once with a 2200 as stated before about half throttle for 6-7 minutes and put 993 mah back in it. Second flight involved some twisting and mock dogfighting with my buddies FW-190 and that battery came back 3.90 volts per cell. I have had no signs whatsoever that the plane cannot handle it. Flew it on a 3S as well and as you know it requires 3/4 throttle to fly around on.

Regards,
Alan
Aug 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm still undecided on that concept.
On the old (really old) electric stuff, there was a servo operated contact that travelled along a resistor coil (basically a servo operated potentiometer).
So, for low power settings the current had to go through a long length of resistor wire, thus resisting considerable current and creating lots of heat to dissipate.
If you ever drive for an extended amount of time at night, dim your dash and gauge lights as dim as safely possible for half an hour or so...feel the dash where that adjustment knob is at and you'll find it to be quite warm
Also consider, that if the ESC were to resist all of that current, an amp meter reading wouldn't produce anything close to a linear increase in amperage.

Now, an ESC uses MOSFET's to deliver current to a motor in the same way a stereo amplifier uses banks of MOSFET's to power speakers.
The ESC is programmed to monitor the motor speed and adjust the frequency (Hz) of the current in the same way a car amplifier makes an audible frequency through the speakers.
Both tend to have considerable heat sinks, some water cooled, some fan cooled, etc.
With my amplifier experiences, I noticed thermal cutoff (integrated safety feature, something that ESC's should probably have too) only occurred when the amplifier was working close to or at full power...never at low volumes, until I could get enough cooling air to the amp.

It's with this evidence that I'm doubtful of the "half throttle creates more heat" opinion, not that I'm skeptical of their idea, I'm just having a hard time understanding how they came to that conclusion.

Which reminds me...I need to do some more research to see if a car amplifier could be disassembled to create a high amp ESC with some seriously powerful MOSFET's....maybe I could program it to sing me a song too LOL
Aug 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
I just saw this pop up on Nitroplanes facebook I wonder if this is the 800mm P-38
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7528510&type=1
Aug 30, 2011, 06:30 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Awesome. I have the Micro F4U Corsair and the P-51D Mustang. I've been waiting for the Micro P-38.

But I'm REALLY excited about FMS's version!!!
Aug 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler
I just saw this pop up on Nitroplanes facebook I wonder if this is the 800mm P-38
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7528510&type=1
From the looks of the very light and obviously non-retractable landing gear, I would have to say that is the 800mm fms p-38. Me thinks!
Aug 31, 2011, 12:11 AM
Wilde Sau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
From the looks of the very light and obviously non-retractable landing gear, I would have to say that is the 800mm fms p-38. Me thinks!
Yep, NP confirmed that in the comments!
If it were the 1400mm version, I should have gotten pics already.

Anyway, I am sorry they did not get back to me for the paintjob of this smaller bird. I'd given them Cal Cutie or Virginia Marie which came out 3rd and 2nd in the poll for the 1400mm paintjob...

This one here is located at Tillamook, Oregon and is in flying condition, so far so good:
http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/walkaro...mook/index.htm

But I don't know what FMS did here, is there another (original?) version of Tangerine out there that has the roundel type national markings, the yellow fuse markings, different tail markings and a different number in front of the nose art? But most importantly: what happened to the grey of the belly? It looks like beige to yellow on the FMS bird...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Aug 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
I've only seen those dual yellow markings on the booms of the Skidoo.

Sep 05, 2011, 08:43 AM
Wilde Sau

Marge has arrived

Alright guys,

I got an email today from FMS with the first pics of the new P-38, FW190 and Bf109F.

Just enjoy the pics, our efforts were well worth it I guess... at a first glance, it looks quite right, don't you think?
We got the Marge paintjob we all voted for, also all the changes that were asked for after seeing the unpainted prototype have been implemented, notably and most importantly the correct stand of the plane on its wheels...

Sit back, relax and enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Bernhard
Sep 05, 2011, 08:46 AM
PSALM 14:1
Awesome!!
Sep 05, 2011, 08:47 AM
Well, I have a fsk P-38, a Yellow Aircraft 100" P-38 and I guess this one will make #3

Travis
Sep 05, 2011, 08:48 AM
Quad Questions Team member
woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! time to get that fund ready to withdraw
Sep 05, 2011, 08:51 AM
Not disappointed. Nice job on the retract doors - axel is correct on the mains. Looks to have rivetting all over the place...nice. Main wheels look a little smallish - nose gear looks superb! Good job FMS