May 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
Thread OP

DPS-600PB Power Supply Shuts Down

Hello,

I modified a couple of DPS-600PB power supplies as described here for amateur radio use.

On one, I didn't do anything to adjust the voltage, just jumped the appropriate ribbon cable wires to get the power supply to turn on.

On the other, I decided to increase the voltage to around 13.8v It works fine on lower amperage draws, but once you draw anywhere in the neighborhood of 20 amps, the power supply kicks out and must be reset before it will turn back on.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced that happening to them. I'm planning on reversing the voltage increase mod and just be happy with the 12.5v or so the power supply puts out. My radio doesn't seem to mind, but if there is a way to allow the power supply to run full out at 13.8v I would appreciate the information.

Thank You
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think you are on the edge of over voltage protection.
If that could be modified, i am interested.
I would also like to know if the over current protection is separate from voltage control, meaning if the PS will shut down at the same Amps no matter what voltage you have on output (12-13.5V).
From the other side - i tested 50A output on two units outputting 12.66V and it did not shut down.
It might be also wise not to overload the PS in general, because they are all older units and especially the capacitors inside might not be as good as new.
May 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
I changed the resistor from a 265 Ohm today to a 330 or so. It dropped the voltage from 13.8v to 13.5 and now the power supply doesn't kick off at a 20+ amp load... The .3v is not going to make any difference in the function of my rig, so the power supply is happy and I am as well. Thanks
Jun 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
Can you tell me what pins you put the resistor across? I'm having the same problem with the power supply shutting down at higher charging amps.

Thanks!

Quick Reply