Jun 09, 2011, 05:43 PM
Team PAS
You only need to tinker if you want a better firmware like er9x. I highly recommend ER9X as it lets you pretty much do anything you want with the radio.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2011, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas
You only need to tinker if you want a better firmware like er9x. I highly recommend ER9X as it lets you pretty much do anything you want with the radio.
Yes but you forgot to mention that the ER9X requires a degree in science to understand the programming

Seriously though it's complex in the extreme and only really for those who are well schooled in TX programming
Thing is the price of the 9X attracts newcomers for whom in my opinion this is not suitable, it's a great radio for those who want to "tinker" and modify but as standard it's frighteningly poor build quality (internally) leaves me cold

I've properly sorted mine out as far as dodgy wiring goes and done the Lithium Ion battery mod as well as the 1k ohm resistor so I don't have to keep removing the module for use on the sim, but I drew the line at spending more money on it to do the ER9X firmware mod (programmer etc required), it felt like throwing good money after bad
Jun 09, 2011, 06:27 PM
Team PAS
Well, I don't have a degree in science and only had ER9X for about a month now and got used to it rather quickly. It is intimidating when you first see it but a bit of reading shows you how to use it and how powerful it is compared to the stock firmware.
Jun 09, 2011, 06:57 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger
I just got mine this week and am really happy with it. No tinkering required other than installing batteries and binding it to the receivers
Do yourself a big favour and get rid of the batteries, convert it to use 2 x Trustfire Lithium Ion batteries, otherwise you'll be crying when your heli falls out of the sky cos your tx turned itself off
Last edited by TeeJayBee; Jun 09, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Jun 09, 2011, 07:21 PM
I use a lipo battery in mine. As far as the er9x and other 3rd party firmware goes, that is something that is totally optional. The biggest feature that most people seem to point out is it gives you 16 models instead of 8. I've only got 2 helis and have no intentions of buying any more, so I'll hold off on getting that degree
Jun 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
Team PAS
It does much more than that. You can assign any switch to any function, mixing is WAY better, etc.
Jun 09, 2011, 08:35 PM
>It does much more than that. You can assign any switch to any function, mixing is WAY better, etc.

Yes I realize that, but it's still totally optional. Am I correct in assuming that mixing is generally used for models other than helicopters? I only fly heli's, and can't think of a reason why I would want or need mixing (other than what's already possible without a firmware update)

I know I'll be upgrading the firmware sooner or later anyway. The extra features I'm interested in are the ability to turn off the beeps, adjust the voltage alarm so I can use a 2s lipo, being able to turn off the backlight, and seeing numeric values on the channel display screen. Of course the main reason for me to upgrade firmware would be because it can be done
Jun 09, 2011, 11:49 PM
Team PAS
The main reason for everybody should be to disable the beep, that sure gets annoying quickly.
Jun 10, 2011, 03:08 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger
>It does much more than that. You can assign any switch to any function, mixing is WAY better, etc.

Yes I realize that, but it's still totally optional. Am I correct in assuming that mixing is generally used for models other than helicopters?
One of the reasons I decided to move on to a Futaba was that I wanted to install a KDS Flymentor, just try programming a mix to use the other switches ?
As far as I can tell the only way to do it with the standard firmware is to program the 3 pos switch which means you lose the idle up functions

On the Futab 8FG I have 6 x 3 pos switches, any of which can be programmed to do anything as standard

When you think that the Turnigy over here costs around 70 plus delivery then add to that having to make it safe, buy Trustfire batteries, buy a programing card/backlight, buy packs of resistors, study for days etc compared to paying 170 for the Futaba which is all sorted as standard AND gives me 14 channels, it's a no brainer on value

I'm not knocking the Turnigy really, just pointing out to folk to be aware that if they want a reliable and sorted radio they'll need to do a lot of studying and a lot of tinkering if they buy the Turnigy
Jun 10, 2011, 05:18 AM
Fair enough. In my case, the radio works great and does what I need right out of the box without tinkering, but I love to tinker, so it's great to know that in the future I'll be able too. So for me, buying the Flysky TH9x was a no-brainer.
Jun 10, 2011, 06:35 AM
im waiting for a replacement..the first one I got was DOA.
Jun 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU22Z
im waiting for a replacement..the first one I got was DOA.
Far better DOA than DITA (dead in the air), frightening though eh ?

Most likely the reported DOA one's can be sorted, it's almost certainly a wire that's come off internally
Jun 10, 2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee
Far better DOA than DITA (dead in the air), frightening though eh ?

Most likely the reported DOA one's can be sorted, it's almost certainly a wire that's come off internally
yeah im not one to see what the problem was didnt want to mess around with the board. Anyway replacement is on its way on boat and i made sure they check its working before they send again to me.
Jun 10, 2011, 08:02 AM
Team PAS
WAs it a Turnigy 9x from Hobby King or a FlySky TH9X from leaderhobby?

They are the same radio but I think people are having better luck with the HK ones.
Jun 10, 2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas
WAs it a Turnigy 9x from Hobby King or a FlySky TH9X from leaderhobby?

They are the same radio but I think people are having better luck with the HK ones.

9X from Hobby King...pretty disappointed when I got a DOA one. It only took 4 days to get to me since I paid for EMS delivery but the replacement they send me via registered post only so It will take 30 days.

Quick Reply