Turnigy 9X Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 27, 2011, 06:45 PM
Suspended Account
Discussion

Turnigy 9X Review

I'm posting this here as I reckon it's most likely that new people to helis are most likely to look at these

I'm not one to shy away from anything just because it's cheap or because it doesn't have my favourite brand name printed on it, so after reading reviews and a lot of searching I only found folks who sing the praises of this transmitter

It's very powerful (considering the meagre cost), it has 9 channels (8 useable), receivers are cheap enough too

As a complete newbie I didn't find it too hard to figure out the programming and there's loads of advice on the net on how to do things with it

Let me say this up front though..
If you're not a DIY electronic tech head then leave this one alone and spend more money on something you don't HAVE to tinker with, I say HAVE in bold as there can be some serious flaws that need to be ironed out before using it

It all appears to work as it should, sticks are good no notchyness etc
The battery compartment is a big let down, it's a very tight fit and getting the cover back on can result in the tags breaking off, worse though is that the battery holder is is far too tight in there, this prevents the batteries from sliding along to maintain contact (pushed by the spring) if the case is flexed, even by a tiny degree the batteries will lose contact resulting in your radio going dead, not so bad if your on the simulator at the time like I was but it would be a nightmare with a heli in the air, some switch over to using a 3S lipo and some who have done that have toasted their radio due to the over voltage on a fully charged lipo, also lipos are prone to their own problems.
There is a fix you can do by using two Trustfire Li-Ion batteries which will give out 7.4v, great advantages to these, stable, not self discharging, internal protection from overcharge and over discharging, downside for the radio is that it's not enough voltage to prevent the low voltage warning from incesantly beeping at you, you can fix that by soldering an 8.2k resistor on the internal PCB
Ahhhh now here lies the real catch...
Open that baby up, touch a wire and it comes away
Not a good scenario and I'm fairly sure any of the old timers here would instantly throw it in the bin and I reckon some current owners who swear by them would do the same too if only they knew how delicate and poor some of the assembly inside was, on mine it was one of the wires on the Gear switch, that wouldn't be too bad accept the switch is a normally closed one which means had the wire come off during flight it would have switched to rate mode, not great for a novice pilot who's just learning to hover his/her brand new heli at the club, what's more if I touched one wire and it came away, how many more are there, what about the wires inside connectors ?, what about the components on the pcb ?, well you get the drift

For mine, well I'm certainly no old timer but I fully undertsand the stupidity of having hundreds of pounds of my kit up in the air being dependant on such flaky assembly

You may well come across reviews of this radio on the internet and a common phrase you might also here is "remember it's a $60 radio, for that it's great"
Well quite frankly that's phrase is going to of little comfort as your heli plummets to the ground or your quad flies off into the distance at whatever throttle setting it had when the radio died, yeah I can hear it now "no problem, the radio was only $60"

Oh yes, another funny one...
I set the timer when using the sim and discovered to my horror that when it get's to one minute left the radio starts to beep at you, well that's all normal, that's what it's supposed to do isn't it ?
But is it supposed to twitch all the servos with every beep too ?

Yes I know, I can hear all the old timers saying "I told you so" but let me also say that I've had many usefull and reliable bargains from China and elsewhere and I'll still always look for a good deal, just that occasionally it doesn't work out that way
You can pay more than you get and you can't get something for nothing but there's a balance somewhere inbetween, this radio is bellow that balance point for me

So, anyone want a cheap radio ? oh and a few cheap 9ch rx's ?

Thank God (hopefully) there's a Futaba 8FG on it's way to me becaue I'd be crapping myself flying anything with the Turnigy after seeing inside it

Go on Jasmine I dare ya
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
Rocket Programmer
Hehe...

I think I have said before that it's better to get $200 worth of radio for $200 than to "save" $150 and end up with $0 worth of radio. Some of the bargain goods from China are great, but they aren't up to snuff on the more complex stuff yet. There will be a day when you can't tell the difference between a Futaba and a Turnigy. The Turnigy motors are really good and are a great value, but a motor is not a computerized universal model aircraft transmitter.
May 28, 2011, 02:24 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Hehe...

I think I have said before that it's better to get $200 worth of radio for $200 than to "save" $150 and end up with $0 worth of radio. Some of the bargain goods from China are great, but they aren't up to snuff on the more complex stuff yet. There will be a day when you can't tell the difference between a Futaba and a Turnigy. The Turnigy motors are really good and are a great value, but a motor is not a computerized universal model aircraft transmitter.
I don't beleive it's an issue of complexity Jasmine, just look at my quadcopter for example, very hi tech, component quality is great, design is great, it all goes together perfectly, the engineering is faultless and it works better than expected, it's also cheap comparatively and has fantastic support if needed

No, rather it's down to attitude of the company
May 28, 2011, 05:01 AM
Im gonna look inside mine I think.

Question is what to replace it with
May 28, 2011, 06:03 AM
ooooh yeah
2nd hand DX7's can be had pretty cheap of you keep your eyes out. Ebay and the FS/W adds here are a great place to buy radios as people upgrade. I got my Futaba 9CAP off ebay several years ago for under $250. I replaced the module with a Spektrum one and was good to go for 2.4ghz. It had about 55 hours on the timer, now up to about 67 and still going strong, nothing is worn, gimbals still precise, all the switches still work and no stuffed pixels on the screen, I even think it's still on the original battery (been recharged a lot of course lol).
May 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
No no... the quad copter is a machine a thousand times simpler than a RC transmitter... manufacturing isn't the problem, it's the designing that isn't quite there yet. They can build a DX7, no problem, but they can't invent one - their industry isn't that mature yet. Not yet...

I realize that what you're seeing looks like manufacturing problems, but it's not entirely - the product is designed to fall apart.
May 28, 2011, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
No no... the quad copter is a machine a thousand times simpler than a RC transmitter... manufacturing isn't the problem, it's the designing that isn't quite there yet. They can build a DX7, no problem, but they can't invent one - their industry isn't that mature yet. Not yet...

I realize that what you're seeing looks like manufacturing problems, but it's not entirely - the product is designed to fall apart.

You do know the board is a Futaba copy ?

Design really isn't the issue (see above problems), it's assembly and quality control
Some Chinese industries and technical ability go way beyond other nations, they're not backward folk you know
May 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi
Im gonna look inside mine I think.

Question is what to replace it with
I chose the Futaba 8FG because it's great value considering it can be expanded free of charge into a 14ch TX, plus when I get the compass and GPS add-ons for the quad I will then need 10 channels, also it's easier to figure out how to set up for a Flymentor (search Google)

I can't see that it's possible for the Turnigy without going to the lengths of flashing the custom firmware as the Prog Mix only allows you to assign values to the 3 position switch ?, academic anyway when I'm going to need 10 channels

Hopefully I'll end up with just one radio for all my models that I can trust
May 29, 2011, 05:31 AM
I have a problem with mine... there seemas to be a delay between stick input on the TX and the servo moving.
Very strange and a little unnerving.

Any thoughts?

Oh and did you get more than just the gimbals working in Phoenix?
May 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Oh and did you get more than just the gimbals working in Phoenix?
Yes
In AUX menu make sure to activate the channel i.e. channel 5 as gear
Then recalibrate the controls in Phoenix making sure to flick the gear switch as instructed during calibration
May 29, 2011, 10:32 AM
LOL - this thing seems to me more trouble than it worth. I really don't feel comfortable with it and I'm not sure I want to use it on my helis

So I've picked up one of these, brand new from a guy selling up on a Finnish forum
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP2910

200€ including postage thank you sir!
May 29, 2011, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
LOL - this thing seems to me more trouble than it worth. I really don't feel comfortable with it and I'm not sure I want to use it on my helis

So I've picked up one of these, brand new from a guy selling up on a Finnish forum
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP2910

200 including postage thank you sir!
That's a real bargain

I got my 8FG for 170
May 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
new TX should be here any day soon

Ordered a couple of AR7010s receivers as well

My advice to anyone buying a 9x or variation thereof:-

Be prepared to spend a lot of time tinkering in order to get the thing working properly.
Last edited by Essex2visuvesi; May 31, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Jun 09, 2011, 06:28 PM
Team PAS
I've bought two and flashing the firmware takes 1hr if you buy the PCB Board from SmartieParts.com.

I also installed the FrSky module in one of them to be able to use cheap $25 receivers with failsafe and telemetry.

It is a great radio and it costs not even half of what a brand name 9 channel radio would cost you even after doing all the modifications.

Normal receivers are $9 each (compared to 50+ on other brands) and if you install the FrSky module you can get a 8ch receiver with telemetry for $25.

Overall you save quite a bit of money in the long run as long as you make sure your radio works properly when you receive it.

I haven't heard of many people having issues with the Turnigy Radios (except when they come from defects from the factory), however I do hear a LOT of problems with Spektrum radios locking out, brown outs, etc, etc, etc. And also a bunch of recalls... most recent being last week.

Buy what you want, but I think the 9x is a great value for its money and if there are any issues you will see them on day 1. So far I have two and the first one hasn't given me any issues and the second one I am planning on using it with a Giant Scale P-51 (that's why I switched to the FrSky module on this one to get failsafe and not kill anyone in case of issues).
Jun 09, 2011, 06:37 PM
I just got mine this week and am really happy with it. No tinkering required other than installing batteries and binding it to the receivers