Aug 16, 2020, 09:15 AM
Happy at the beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
My son and I are focusing on knocking out some balsa ARF projects that need to finally get done. The EFlite Super Cub 25E is next in line after a Hangar 9 J3. Followed by a Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15CC. Then probably work on the FMS Super Cub repaint. Did I mention we are fans of Cub aircraft around here?
I've stripped down to the essential (2 or3 dozen?) models for my move west, and I yet I don't think I let any Cubs go. I have to figure out how to pack my Super Cub 25e (now a 56FS, lol), my foam carbon cub, and others, and once we get settled next projects are finally tackling my Hanger 9 Carbon Cub, and winter project is a Sig 1/6th scale Cub. My biggest plane I'm keeping is my 1/4 scale Sig Cub with floats, which is going to take up my entire Mini Cooper which I'm towing with my Mini Van... We are gonna need lots of balloon tires, I'm gonna be flying off the beach from here on out if all goes to plan...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2020, 10:47 PM
"I will return" Federico

Airborne Again After Four years

In 2016, after about 30 flights or so, the landing gear brace broke on my Cub. So I put this bird aside for a while to compete in IMAC. Four years later I finally dusted her off, repaired the gear with a piece of scrap aluminum tube and epoxy, upgraded the firmware on the FrSky receiver, and got her airborne again.

This time it was a geotex runway, not grass. Oh boy, what a difference. And not in a good way! I had a hard time not flipping over on almost every landing on grass. On the geotex the problem was landing without bouncing. I suspect that my replacement of a couple O-rings with springs may have contributed to the problem, as the gear seems to flex a bit easier than it should. I only had one spare O-ring with me, so I added that and a rubber band on the other side. No improvement.

After a number of bouncy landings that invariably ended with a prop strike I had enough. I added an idle mix to the throttle that I could control with a separate slider to the left of the throttle stick. Now I had just enough air flow, even with the throttle all the way back, to maintain elevator authority. Then, as soon as the mains touched down I applied just a touch of down elevator. Bingo! No bounce. One after another I did touch and goes and full stop landings, flaps half or full, and no bounce. Problem solved.
Last edited by rclad; Oct 31, 2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added photos.

Quick Reply