Jul 23, 2013, 03:06 AM
Random slope flyer
Dave, is 5gm - 5mm?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2013, 05:44 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
Thread OP
Dave is referring to a joke Bakkie and I had in one of the CorroSpit build videos, 5mm, 5centimeters, 5 inches or 5 grams.... The washout doesn't really seem to matter with these Corro planes, they do not seem to have any tip stall tendancies. :-)
Jul 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
Random slope flyer
Great to know - it's what's put me off building one for ages.
Jul 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
I think I'm Mode 2
Hey Mike_

Is it hot where you live?

Jul 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
They don't seem to have any vices whatsoever
I've had the spinner(with all my noseweight in)get knocked off,and landed it fine,was a little bit floaty/balloony,but still controllable,another guy had maybe a 3rd of one wing tip sliced off,and still landed it safely,they're pretty cool.

Even the corsair flies just like the migs, we were a bit dubious as to how the extra drag would effect it(I have a glass fw190 true scale PSS about 5' span, thats like flying with the brakes on hehe).

There are more on the way by looks of it too, Been letting fellow flyers have a go on my mig,and the model flies so nicely they want one, More the merrier

Safe landings,

Kirk
Jul 23, 2013, 12:20 PM
Random slope flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie
Hey Mike_

Is it hot where you live?

Scotland: you must be joking :O

Why? Do you thermal these machines
Jul 23, 2013, 12:25 PM
Random slope flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendkrv
They don't seem to have any vices whatsoever

Kirk
lol now I'm going to have to build one just to convince my self...either that or drive down to England (may have to go through passport control soon though

Must be the main spar thickness reducing to nought at the tip...
Jul 25, 2013, 10:39 AM
CJL
CJL
Christopher

U-2 Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle
Looks good Chris! Red, White and Black always looks sweet
What is your AUW ? Good luck with your maiden
Hi Jim

Here is a short video of my maiden flight.
The CG seemed to be perfect as shown on your plans.It flew very well in light wind.

Chris Liebenberg

U-2 Maiden (2 min 24 sec)
Jul 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Kool clip Chris!!
Jul 28, 2013, 05:02 AM

Corrospit build update

Again a big thanks to FB and Bakkie for their Build video log - without it - i would not have had the confidence to do this - and am enjoying it so much that i am taking my time finishing the build.
Cause then i'll just have to start another one - in fact have downloaded plans for Miss America - is this what happens with these builds - you start the next before you finish the current build ? ! ! !

Will finish this build with a vinyl Desert Camo - went down to the local print shop and the guy gave me - free of charge- off cuts - blue/black/yellow/ red / grey -which i'll use to make the insignia and the grey with black stripes for the underwing

Lessons learnt

1)Torque rods - cheap galvanised bicycle spoke - much easier to bend than the stainless steel spoke
2) Underbelly of Fuzz - take alot of time and care - to slowly and gradually cut to fit - in the build video its shown speeded up - play it back in slow mo and watch what FB does

Questions
1) Why 2 x aileron servos specified - is the second servo to program flaperons/ snap flaps to decrease speed for landing.
2) is the program mix for the flaperons the one where 1 x servo goes into channel 1 and the other into Aux channel
Jul 28, 2013, 07:40 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
Thread OP
Aileron servos are a personal choice. I have built correx slopers both ways. But I have never used the flap function. Your Spitty is looking good!
Jul 28, 2013, 09:42 AM
just a rumour
Lol Chris the sound track to your vid is cool. What group is that? Gudentag!
Jul 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
Random slope flyer

another mig-7

ok, your corex planes look so good decided to start experimenting with Mig-7 build. Managed to make lots of mistakes...but seems so fast and cheap. Couldn't get 2mm for wings, so had to use 3.5mm instead - too heavy?
Jul 29, 2013, 10:33 PM
I just wondered is there is any reason for not using corro (2x 3mm) to construct wing spars in lieu of the yard rule that seems to be the common way? It seems to me that it would be light, easy to construct and plenty strong enough if made of 2 x 3mm strips at right angles?

I know it mighty be using too much corro if you have to buy it but I have access to an unlimited supply of offcuts plenty long enough.
Jul 30, 2013, 12:08 AM
Glow? What is that?
I built my first mig7 with corro spars. 2x 4mm. At right angles.

After the first non-level touchdown EVEN SLIGHTLY and the spar bent. Then I tried to push a dowel down the wing to straighten the spar. But didnt work so well.
Had to remake the whole wing.

Quick Reply