New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
Gary Mortimer is offline
Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
@Van just fly like the back is the front...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:53 PM
hawaiitaco is offline
Find More Posts by hawaiitaco
Registered User
hawaiitaco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
@Van just fly like the back is the front...
Thats what I was thinking...just reverse your channels ...dunno about the yaw though....probably still have to keep the same config as a traditional tri
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:03 PM
cactus is offline
Find More Posts by cactus
Registered User
Any idea if they are working on OSD integration for this platform? Specifically using the IMU data for an artificial horizon overlay for FPV.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
reptor is offline
Find More Posts by reptor
a.d.m.i.n
reptor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Any idea if they are working on OSD integration for this platform? Specifically using the IMU data for an artificial horizon overlay for FPV.
Wow, this would be great idea
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:51 PM
Vantasstic is offline
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
you gonna make a Klingon war bird?
Thanks guys. Yeah, pretty simple I guess, just mount the board 180 out and set normal/reverse controls as required.

I did see a video of a guy flying a reversed tri. Yes, it did look like a Klingon War Bird...and it looked like it would be easier to keep orientation with a pointed front end moving forward. I don't know if I'll ever give it a try...wasn't sure if it was something easy to do or something that would take a bit more 'playing' with on the controller side.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:54 PM
Vantasstic is offline
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Any idea if they are working on OSD integration for this platform? Specifically using the IMU data for an artificial horizon overlay for FPV.
I have an ArduIMU integrated with my Dragon OSD. The AHI has drift in it and is probably more annoying to see it displaying a crooked AHI when you can see a horizontal horizon. I'd think these newer controllers might do a better job on the drifting side of the house. I'd love to have some AHI integration, I'm just not smart enough to know how to do it.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
themicahmachine is offline
Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Aircraftus Fragmentum
I sorted out my problems. A post the OC forums about some libraries not being installed in the right place tipped me off. The system I was using to configure the board is also used for software development, so things are strange on it. I installed the GCS on a laptop with a pretty vanilla Windows install, and everything worked fine.

First flights a few minutes ago! I still have a lot to sort out to get it flying just right, but it's doing its job well.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:34 PM
themicahmachine is offline
Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Aircraftus Fragmentum
So it flies! I had a lot of problems to sort out... apparently the yaw servo I'm using works much better with a wider input range. 750-2250 seems about right to get enough throw for it to work properly.

Now it flies, but it wants to drift strongly forward and right. I can hold it in a hover, but it takes quite a bit of stick to do it. I've tried getting everything level and re-zeroing the accel bias, and setting it to zero the gyro bias upon arming. My thinking is that by doing this, as long as I arm the board when the copter is sitting level, everything should be nice and zeroed out for level flight. Doesn't work so well though. Any ideas on what to try next?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
cactus is offline
Find More Posts by cactus
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I have an ArduIMU integrated with my Dragon OSD. The AHI has drift in it and is probably more annoying to see it displaying a crooked AHI when you can see a horizontal horizon. I'd think these newer controllers might do a better job on the drifting side of the house. I'd love to have some AHI integration, I'm just not smart enough to know how to do it.
Every FPV flight I do with my quad I am getting better at judging how I am moving in relation to static objects around me, but the job of hovering in one location would be easier with pitch roll AIH line to see if I am slipping or drifting slightly to one direction. I guess it just takes practice under the hood to get the hang of it. This is truly fun. I'd like to try one of these boards at some point.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
anatoly is offline
Find More Posts by anatoly
RC Addict
anatoly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
Now it flies, but it wants to drift strongly forward and right. I can hold it in a hover, but it takes quite a bit of stick to do it. I've tried getting everything level and re-zeroing the accel bias, and setting it to zero the gyro bias upon arming. My thinking is that by doing this, as long as I arm the board when the copter is sitting level, everything should be nice and zeroed out for level flight. Doesn't work so well though. Any ideas on what to try next?
Sounds similar to the problem I had at first. How did you mount your board? Do you have anything that might cause vibration on your aircraft?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
themicahmachine is offline
Find More Posts by themicahmachine
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly View Post
Sounds similar to the problem I had at first. How did you mount your board? Do you have anything that might cause vibration on your aircraft?
I balanced everything as well as I could. The board is mounted with standoffs directly to the frame, no foam or other damping material.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
Quad_Addict is offline
Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
So it flies! I had a lot of problems to sort out... apparently the yaw servo I'm using works much better with a wider input range. 750-2250 seems about right to get enough throw for it to work properly.

Now it flies, but it wants to drift strongly forward and right. I can hold it in a hover, but it takes quite a bit of stick to do it. I've tried getting everything level and re-zeroing the accel bias, and setting it to zero the gyro bias upon arming. My thinking is that by doing this, as long as I arm the board when the copter is sitting level, everything should be nice and zeroed out for level flight. Doesn't work so well though. Any ideas on what to try next?
very important to have it very level when arming but make sure you have box checked to "Zero gyro bias" pic attached below, u need to leave it steady for like 10 seconds also i would make sure trims are neutral and use the zero gyro bias button in GCS when connected. also most desks are no level 100% so i would check your level surface with a leveler tool or bullseye,
etc. then the obvious other things, proper esc calibration, balanced props, motor drag worn bearing,
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:54 PM
anatoly is offline
Find More Posts by anatoly
RC Addict
anatoly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
I balanced everything as well as I could. The board is mounted with standoffs directly to the frame, no foam or other damping material.
That's what I wound up doing too, it eliminated my problem. Not sure what else to tell you, other than checking for other possible sources of vibration.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:56 PM
Quad_Addict is offline
Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
I balanced everything as well as I could. The board is mounted with standoffs directly to the frame, no foam or other damping material.
how about a picture of your setup?. u have rubber dampners for board or just nylon?
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Jun 16, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 AM
patricklupo is offline
Find More Posts by patricklupo
Registered User
Does anyone have any videos with this controller that were taken on-board via FPV? Not just hovering around but being piloted from 1st person. I'd love to see how it handles banked turns and heading changes, especially in stable mode.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The Aussie RCG Coffee thread (aka "we don't drink instant") glydr Australia 164 Sep 08, 2012 04:33 AM
Discussion NEW? -Openpilot flight controller tc3wins Multirotor Talk 229 Mar 02, 2012 06:14 PM
Discussion Share your art! PinkYakRC Painting and Finishing Tips 13 Apr 27, 2011 08:04 PM
Discussion RCG 07 JR Indoor Live Coverage Thread Jim T. Graham JR Indoor Electric Festival 19 Nov 04, 2007 02:36 PM
Discussion My first RCG flame thread WBE Chit Chat 6 Sep 04, 2007 10:17 PM