Buildin'em and flyin'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblur View Post
Any good setup recomendation to hit high speed on turnigy or hobbyking motor

Im planning to get one arf model soon

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
Would like to know this as well. I've already burnt two stock motors running on 4S.
I planned on going 4s from the start so pushing the stock motor hard wasn't really an option since I didnt want to lawn dart it on its first flight. None of the HK EDF motors have specs like EDFhobbies or Dons wicked setup have. Both Dons wicked setup and EDFhobbies 4500kv are a great buy.

Wicked Plus 4500kv $40: http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=93
EDF Hobbies 4500kv $40: http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=64
Last edited by JaggedEdge; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
I also have a cheaper option, the regular Wicked 4000KV which is for $30 (not as cheap as HK but you will have it in a few days) and will be fine on 4S in the stock fan and it will be about 600 watts on 4S. The 4400KV I sell will most likely make the stock fan rotor fail as the motor is kind of too powerful for the stock fan. Even though the stock motor is like 4300KV it is a physically smaller motor than the regular 4000KV I sell so even with the slightly low KV of 4000 you still get the power as not so much is wasted to heat generation instead it is turned in to rpm which is what matters. The only thing I believe you will need to do is remove the four splines in the stock EDF housing to get the standoff adapter to fit into it. I do that with a Dremel tool and it takes a few second to grind them off.

Don
Apr 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
RJJ
RJJ
I have purchased a stinger and a turnigy 2815-4800kv to put into it. Already have a turnigy 60a plush esc and will run 3s 11.1v 2200mah 45c packs as all my planes use these.

Should I upgrade the fan or edf unit as well.

Also could somebody post ail/elev/rudd max travel mm please and I can dial in low rates from there & expo.

I have a spare ar8000 that came with dx8, will it fit and should I plug each ail/ servo into separate channels or use y cable. Does anybody have mixes for knife edge etc for the dx8.

This is my 1st edf jet, fly a mpx blizzard, Stryker, zagi and a sebach 342.
Really looking forward to it, all help appreciated
Apr 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge View Post
Hi all. Got my Sting64 together for a quick static test and I'm pretty psyched to fly it.

Cyclone Power turbojet EDF 4500kv Motor
6 blade
Hi JE, Was the Cyclone Power turbojet EDF a straight fit without adjustment?
Apr 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
How about the fans? Need to be upgraded too?
Last edited by redblur; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Apr 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Hi JE, Was the Cyclone Power turbojet EDF a straight fit without adjustment?

Yes, I bought the complete unit and it slipped right in without any foam removal.
After screwing on the wing once there was no abnormal pressure on the duct causing fan to duct interference. Should work fine.
Apr 13, 2012, 04:18 AM
RJJ
RJJ
Can I use the turnigy 2815-4800kv motor on the cyclone Power unit ?

Also what difference will the seven bladed fan make ?

Basically want a balanced unit, any other suggestions or is the cyclone power unit the best for a straight forward replacement.
Apr 13, 2012, 04:23 AM
finally crashed my Stinger last week....
had two consecutive brownouts on my spektrum AR6000, and when I regained control I rushed a landing with the wind on stinger's back...
anyway... now I have a great setup and looking for a new, fast airframe, even considering to buy again the stinger!
Apr 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
FireHawx
Yes, if (when) I crash my Stinger I will proly' buy another. Usuall I would move on to something new BUT this one just flies great. It is just a strong platform with many power options. (motor,fan,batt). It has something special........
Apr 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
had two consecutive brownouts on my spektrum AR6000, and when I regained control I rushed a landing with the wind on stinger's back...
anyway... now I have a great setup and looking for a new, fast airframe, even considering to buy again the stinger!
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but after such problems with your radio gear it's perhaps time to swap to something more reliable?
Apr 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
maybe a dsmx setup?
Apr 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
Mine has had a few ground encounters with the stock set up. Trying to figure out the best CG and the hand launching has taken its toll at times
Would still buy another one, a stronger motor/fan would help the launching phase.
Will stick with 3 cells, since already have a few.
Apr 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
Even on 3s I'll never run a plane or heli without a separate BEC.
Apr 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but after such problems with your radio gear it's perhaps time to swap to something more reliable?
with my DX7 (dsm2) the AR6000 (dsm) acts as a full range receiver
me and many fellows modelers have done hundreds of flights (even on gliders, going very high) with this setup and never had a single glitch
the problems on my stinger started when I moved from 3 to 4S lipos...
had another two consecutive brownouts on another flight, but I managed to save the plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge View Post
Even on 3s I'll never run a plane or heli without a separate BEC.
in fact I use a separate BEC!! I don't know what caused those brownouts, the plane was close to me when happened and nobody else was flying at this moment
Apr 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
better do another range check of that receiver ..
if you pass the range test change your bec just to be sure.

Quick Reply