Nov 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafterDodger
Thanks to a great motor from Wicked Don, this baby will haul on a 4S 2200...
Nice video and great camera work
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab
Nice video and great camera work
Thanks...I'll pass the camera compliment on...he was complaining about my little sony camera not having an eye view finder.

I've learned two things about flying this stinger a few times....

1) Dont let a 70 yr old hand launch for you....

2) Bidirectional Packing Tape is needed on the nose
Nov 21, 2011, 01:39 PM
Mildly Confused
Sounds great too, nice and smooth. Mines stock and flys nice but sounds like a bag of spanners chained to a tractor wheel.
Nov 21, 2011, 03:18 PM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Thanks...I'll pass the camera compliment on...he was complaining about my little sony camera not having an eye view finder.

I've learned two things about flying this stinger a few times....

1) Dont let a 70 yr old hand launch for you....

2) Bidirectional Packing Tape is needed on the nose
I have Don's smaller wicked 4000 in mine with 4s 2350's and a CC45. It scoots very well. One thing that I did notice (just exactly like in your video) is the pitch to the left after the underhand launch. Mine does this every time but since I know it is coming, it has not been a problem.

I need to get up there and fly with you guys.
Nov 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Quote:
One thing that I did notice (just exactly like in your video) is the pitch to the left after the underhand launch. Mine does this every time but since I know it is coming, it has not been a problem.

I need to get up there and fly with you guys.
Yeah it seems to have that slight left torque upon letting go. Come on down anytime tdab...where in NC are ya? I fly with two groups of guys...one in south charlotte and the gaston rc flyers. PM me sometime and we can work out the details. The more the merrier!
Nov 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Yeah it seems to have that slight left torque upon letting go. Come on down anytime tdab...where in NC are ya? I fly with two groups of guys...one in south charlotte and the gaston rc flyers. PM me sometime and we can work out the details. The more the merrier!
I moved south from Gaston County in 2006 so I am in SC now. East of Columbia. I was flying at Martha Rivers Park the day it opened in Gastonia.....actually months before it opened and I had the place to myself!....That changed fast though and you had to pick and choose your times and there was no way to fly anything really fast unless you went early. I taught at least 3 guys to fly at MR park before I moved down here.

We have a huge huge field behind the neighborhood where I live right now but it is rough and it eats landing gear up so for me it is belly-floppers only. A few of the local guys mowed a big section down and were using that as a runway but it isn't that much better. I try to go by myself most of the time because they are more "fly in big ol' circle" kind of guys which is cool. None of them fly EDF's that I have seen and I think they get a little tense when I bring all mine out. I flew 8 jets and 2 planes the other day so I was kind of "Bogart-ing" the whole scene but I had an ass-load of lipos to burn through! They are good guys though. The good thing is that it only takes me 2 minutes from my house to see the field and see who is there it just sucks because there is no runway.

There are a few in your group (Charlotte outlaws ) that I used to fly with years ago from time to time. Cool guys for sure! Ask Russell and Pavel about the day they were flying the his Ventus (sp) way up (2000 feet) and lost it in the clouds over 485.....It was a tense 15-20 seconds LOL!
Nov 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
This video was from Saturday, on Sunday we clocked it when i flattened it out of a dive over the runway at 106. Thanks for a WICKED setup DON!
Glad you like it :-) That is what I was getting on mine with the same setup. Did you put the thrust tube in it as well?
Nov 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon
no.. this is brand new.. but having experience with HET edf units.. I know I pushed their 70mm to the limits.. witha 4130kv hoffman magnetics the beast and 5s
I also know that they come balanced and they compare well to the wemos..their performance fihures are so identical but they work differently. the wemo though always has the edge but it costs far too much..
they don't have the whooshing sound but theyperform real well especially with higher kv motors and also won't give you tons of amp draw.

another plus is that you can find replacement parts.
How would something like this work on a wicked 4000 motor running 3s/4s?
Nov 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Glad you like it :-) That is what I was getting on mine with the same setup. Did you put the thrust tube in it as well?
Cant compare to stock cause the motor went out before i could even fly it, but thanks for the fast delivery Don. I should soon be running it on 4s.
Nov 21, 2011, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab
How would something like this work on a wicked 4000 motor running 3s/4s?
on 4s It will scream.. literally
Nov 21, 2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
I was flying at Martha Rivers Park the day it opened in Gastonia.....actually months before it opened and I had the place to myself!....That changed fast though and you had to pick and choose your times and there was no way to fly anything really fast unless you went early. I taught at least 3 guys to fly at MR park before I moved down here.
I've flown there maybe twice...once when i shouldn't of (newb)...too many walkers/soccer people now. I've been flying with the outlaws since last august or so. Good group of guys. The 485 site is gone now.
Nov 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Actually Don, I got the jet out of the classifieds with it one already installed. I know that the jet was maidened and flown 30 flights with a 4000 setup and then a hoffman mighty mite with a modified het 6904 rotor/64mm housing was installed in it... I was convinced that it was a sure deal but the setup kept cutting out past 3/4 throttle on both 3s and 4s...took it all out to find a motor with two burnt sets of poles... Im glad you had a setup that worked out well...The thrust tube probably is setup from your specs, will measure when i get a chance.

Yeah Pavcon...it literally screams for its life
Nov 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
I do not recommend using the Wicked 4000 Plus motor in the HET 6904 fan unit or any 70mm fan unit actually with the exception of the Squall 70mm fan unit (either 3 or 5 blade rotor).

Don
Nov 21, 2011, 06:19 PM
Quote:
I do not recommend using the Wicked 4000 Plus motor in the HET 6904 fan unit or any 70mm fan unit actually with the exception of the Squall 70mm fan unit (either 3 or 5 blade rotor).

Don
Don, Im using your 4000 plus motor with a type 1 edo fan that you dynamically balanced. The fan came with my jet had a hoffman mighty mite with a modified fan.(the seller originally had a wicked don setup in it for the first 30 flights)

sorry for the confusion Don
Nov 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thats what I get for eating dinner and reading at the same time

Don

Quick Reply