Nov 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab
got the motor installed, I noticed though that the fan stick out of the shroud is that normal,
Now I understand , that is the Freewing rotor it should have had its own collar/collet to connect to the shaft on your old motor. As long as the old stock motor was 3mm shaft you can use it on the new motor, just remove the rotor plug on the motor I sent you with either a gear puller or with heat from a lighter (about 20 seconds worth on the aluminum part only) then the plug will expand from the heat and will slip off the motor shaft. For some reason I thought the Stinger came with the EDO rotor and that is the adapter I installed on the motor. My mistake.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Now I understand , that is the Freewing rotor it should have had its own collar/collet to connect to the shaft on your old motor. As long as the old stock motor was 3mm shaft you can use it on the new motor, just remove the rotor plug on the motor I sent you with either a gear puller or with heat from a lighter (about 20 seconds worth on the aluminum part only) then the plug will expand from the heat and will slip off the motor shaft. For some reason I thought the Stinger came with the EDO rotor and that is the adapter I installed on the motor. My mistake.

Don
is it worth doing that or just buying a new rotor? I would hate to rune something i may need in the future.
Nov 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Your choice, you can always reinstall the EDO plug with some loctite down the road.

Don
Nov 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab
what is the difference between the hawk edf and the stinger? also can you explain cutting it down to three blades. Can this be done with the stock set up?

Just did my first flight today, have a wicked 4000 in it on stock fan and upgraded esc to a eflite 40a i had around. So thinking of going 4s soon.
Should go really well on 4s Will that 40A ESC be enough for 4s??? ...good to have a little safety margin I think too!

The Stinger stock motor is 2627 4300kv with a 5 blade fan... you can't cut it back to 3 blades because it will be uneven.

The T45 Hawk from HK has a B3830 4300kv as stock motor with a 6 blade fan... which you can cut back to 3 blades if you want higher top end and lower amp draw(longer flight times), this is what I have put in my Stinger on 4s 2650's... for now at least!
Nov 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3
Should go really well on 4s Will that 40A ESC be enough for 4s??? ...good to have a little safety margin I think too!

The Stinger stock motor is 2627 4300kv with a 5 blade fan... you can't cut it back to 3 blades because it will be uneven.

The T45 Hawk from HK has a B3830 4300kv as stock motor with a 6 blade fan... which you can cut back to 3 blades if you want higher top end and lower amp draw(longer flight times), this is what I have put in my Stinger on 4s 2650's... for now at least!
Dave, tempted to buy one of these stinger64's for myself if my 4s 3000's will fit and run the same power combo as my hawk.
Nov 18, 2011, 01:02 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Do it Jim... I'm sure you can handle it, flies pretty straight and true where you point it once it's setup.... that power system would make her boogie! 3000 4s might be a little heavy unless you cut a bit of foam to get it more aft of where mine sits. You can try one of your packs in mine if you like, see if it balances!
Nov 18, 2011, 01:38 AM
Sounds like a plan. You heading out for a flight tomorrow?

p.s. Tried the 4s 4000 in the hawk last night although i'm not sure about them. Not sure i like the extra weight.
Flew them back to back with my 4s 3000 and i prefer the flight characteristics with the 3000's.
I'll give them another go in some wind as it was quite calm last night.
Nov 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350
I'll give them another go in some wind as it was quite calm last night.
Have any of you flown this plane with constant winds of 10mph+ yet. With the hour change, flying time has been cut some, and therefore I'm willing to fly in heavier winds. I have a flew 1400mm Warbirds that can handle 15mph wind.
Harold
Nov 18, 2011, 01:40 PM
Retired US Navy
I have and it handles wind OK.
Nov 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock
Have any of you flown this plane with constant winds of 10mph+ yet. With the hour change, flying time has been cut some, and therefore I'm willing to fly in heavier winds. I have a flew 1400mm Warbirds that can handle 15mph wind.
Harold
i flew in about 15mph today it did ok when it gusted in the 20's it didn't have enough umf to get past it. but it tracked really nice.
sorry no camera man just my 808 on my hat.
HK Stinger 64mm (4 min 1 sec)
Nov 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Can this plane be purchased from the US warehouse?
When I go to the US warehouse, am I still able to use the search function, just for the US warehouse? It seems to take me back to search results from the International warehouse. If this is the case, do I just have to scroll through everything until I find the plane?
On another note... a club member was flying one yesterday in 10mph winds with no trouble at all. It seemed to be able to fly slow as well as fast. Perfect for someone like myself who will make this there first EDF jet.
Nov 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
we kinda have a new fan candidate..
HET 64mm
http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=282
Nov 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon
we kinda have a new fan candidate..
HET 64mm
http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=282
looks interesting. do you have any thrust figures for a given motor? eg: with a 2W-18 for instance.
Nov 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Suspended Account
no.. this is brand new.. but having experience with HET edf units.. I know I pushed their 70mm to the limits.. witha 4130kv hoffman magnetics the beast and 5s
I also know that they come balanced and they compare well to the wemos..their performance fihures are so identical but they work differently. the wemo though always has the edge but it costs far too much..
they don't have the whooshing sound but theyperform real well especially with higher kv motors and also won't give you tons of amp draw.

another plus is that you can find replacement parts.
Nov 21, 2011, 09:44 AM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
Thanks to a great motor from Wicked Don, this baby will haul on a 4S 2200...

This video was from Saturday, on Sunday we clocked it when i flattened it out of a dive over the runway at 106. Thanks for a WICKED setup DON!

Wicked Stinger 64 (2 min 22 sec)

Quick Reply