Feb 12, 2017, 05:59 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
I'm with ya raydar. That was one of my variables yesterday....varying headwind. Being my first flight, I didn't want to risk the Stinger slowing down too much on final so I kept the nose neutral or down until over the numbers then modulated power to about 12" AGL and chopped power with a bit up elevator. I was thankful for a three point. I have a couple of warbirds that have wicked tip stalls and slow & low is no where to be. This plane is going to be a blast!
Latest blog entry: Real Wings!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2017, 03:29 PM
I heart EDFs!!
Well I know I'm really late to this party but I just picked up one of the 4s Freewing Stingers. It's an older one that still had the 5 blade setup in it. My question is does the new 12 blade setup provide any more speed or is it just for better sound?
Feb 13, 2017, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Well I know I'm really late to this party but I just picked up one of the 4s Freewing Stingers. It's an older one that still had the 5 blade setup in it. My question is does the new 12 blade setup provide any more speed or is it just for better sound?
Better sound
Jul 22, 2017, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know if the Hobbyking stinger 64 and motion rc stinger 64 are the same? I have the the Hobbyking version, but want to order motion rc replacement fuselage, because the shippment for hobbyking is $107(!).
Jul 22, 2017, 03:10 PM
Its the same
Aug 21, 2017, 09:09 PM
A few laps around the patch with my buddy and his HSD Tornado 75. Both did very well!
Sep 30, 2017, 01:53 PM
Lights look great how have you mounted the afterburner does it interfere with the air flow?
I have had mine for a few years now running on 3s and using it only sparingly so I ordered a changesun 12blade and esc for 4s and wow awesome!! I shall certainly be using it a lot more now!
Sep 30, 2017, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstar
Lights look great how have you mounted the afterburner does it interfere with the air flow?
I have had mine for a few years now running on 3s and using it only sparingly so I ordered a changesun 12blade and esc for 4s and wow awesome!! I shall certainly be using it a lot more now!
Thanks Robstar! I removed the black foam piece from the end of the fuse, shaved the inside of the fuse ever so slightly, inserted the ring in the fuse, hot glued the ring in place then reinstalled the black foam piece with hot glue. There is a slight high spot where the exhaust hits the ring but I haven't noticed any problems with performance.

4s ?! Go for it!
Sep 30, 2017, 10:48 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstar

I'd like to find a good 4S 12 Blade setup here in the US for my Stinger...not much going on in the 64mm range
Oct 01, 2017, 02:22 AM
I got mine from rc castle one of their power combos. The fan was pre balanced so sounds sweet. Don't know how it compares to dr. Mad thrusts but it is affordable and performs well. The static data says it produces just over a kilo of thrust compared with the 3s which is about 700g.
Oct 13, 2017, 01:41 PM
I searched the thread but did not find any one with the problem of the tail assembly elevator stab 4 screws not going in easily. They get stuck about 1/2 way and I feel like I and going to strip the phillips head of the screw. I am using the shorter set of 4 screws from the kit. They screw into molded plastic pieces in the fuselage that look like they may be pre threaded. I ended up getting the front screws in but the back ones i ended up not installing since they only went 1/2 way. I did hot glue the back down so if I really need to get in there I could cut the hot glue.
Last edited by Aerobatic Addict; Oct 15, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Oct 19, 2017, 03:05 PM
lol my little stinger is a mess now, boiled and glued to the point I am glueing the glue. Has duct tape on the nose and the 4s 2200 stuffed as far back as it goes.

Having the most fun ever with it low and dirty, cant remember what fan/motor is in it might be a unrestricted 3s black tornado? but as my packs are so puffed and old prob not taxing the fan too much on 4s.

It's one crash from retirement but will put a few packs flat out through it every visit to the field care free.

Have noticed I can not hold a knife edge on it, as I add rudder and get near level flight it snaps out, but no matter had my moneys worth.

Edit: just looked back a few pages and found a post from January that states I have the black tornado and had it reduced to 80% and 50 amps via a curve, had a look on my radio and yes curve still there, time to up the power to 60A lol.
Last edited by raydar; Oct 19, 2017 at 03:16 PM.
Oct 26, 2017, 12:34 AM
Calm before the storm
I just picked up one of these planes from motion. Looking forward to flying it! It is about the same size as my Evader. I haven't flown that one in some time now. Something fell on the stabilizer and broke the balsa in it...never got around to repairing it so there it sits.
Oct 28, 2017, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
I’m looking for a first EDF. The pink is kind of hideous, but the HK price is good. Is this easy to hand launch, does it fly well, and is it fast? Anything need to be done from the get-go? Thanks.

Quick Reply