Jul 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider
There was someone on this thread a while ago that was going to cut the winglets off and see how the Stinger flew. Haven't heard back from them, but it's an interesting idea. Maybe when I've had enough of it I'll cut them off myself and see.
I remember the post in question. Not sure who it was, but I still think about what happened with that idea every time I see the Stinger's wings.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Grayflyer,
Could it be that there was wind this day more than average. When I fly mine in some wind, it does wag its tail just like you are describing.
AntHoly,
You have to tell us some details of your Stinger 90mm... looks real cool.
Jul 25, 2013, 09:40 PM
If it's a ViperJet 90, just say so. Why speak in riddles? I've been considering one myself.

@ NCRealEstateGuy,

Good thought, and I'd wondered if that was it myself. The first day I put it back in the air it was pretty breezy, and I thought that might have been it. But the next day was almost no wind, and it still tail wagged. Not as much, but still did it.

I'll keep an eye on it. Who knows, maybe it'll just settle itself down.
Jul 30, 2013, 04:32 AM
The Last Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFlyer
If it's a ViperJet 90, just say so. Why speak in riddles? I've been considering one myself.
Except that it doesn't look quite like a Viperjet and Antholy works for Freewing....hmmm
Jul 30, 2013, 06:15 AM
@ Entropy76,

OK. I don't know Antholy, so I wouldn't know where he works. I'm not really a fan of guessing games, so I guess I'll just wait to see when he posts an explanation, if he does.

Back to the plane at hand, my landing gear for my Stinger came in, so this weekend we'll see how she handles the grass. I'll probably try hand-launching still and wheeled landing. Not sure if it could get enough speed on our grass for takeoff.

GrayFlyer
Jul 30, 2013, 06:15 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76
Except that it doesn't look quite like a Viperjet and Antholy works for Freewing....hmmm
............Hmmm indeed. Fascinating thought; love how these guys love to string us along. Must be an effective sales tool, since we sure take the bait.

Wonder how it flies. A hot 90mm in there would be a pretty awesome setup, if it's in any way comparable to the original.

OK, Antholy, c'mon back and feed us a little more.
Jul 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
Looks like a cheapo Viper clone to me with some stickers that say Stinger 90. But hey, MAKE a 90mm Stinger identical to the 64mm (winglets, wink wink) and I'll be first in line to get one. I would throw one of those wemo evos in there and smile all day.

@GrayFlyer, I have tried LG too and it was a little too heavy for me. They work ok on pavement but I have not tried off grass, not sure if would get up to speed. Good luck.
Jul 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
The Last Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFlyer
@ Entropy76,

OK. I don't know Antholy, so I wouldn't know where he works. I'm not really a fan of guessing games, so I guess I'll just wait to see when he posts an explanation, if he does.
I don't know him either. I just browsed his posts and that's who he says he works for. I'm sure more info will come when they're ready...
Aug 09, 2013, 11:41 PM
Just plane addicted!
I just picked up one of these with the 3s setup. Flies great. I've been plowing through the posts to get info on ideas for a power increase, but it's 185 pages!

Can someone point me to some posts or summarize some ideas on what guys are doing for more power? I don't mind adding weight, as I am using this as a trainer toward heavier composite 90mms.

- bang for buck upgrade?
- If I change out the esc, will the motor handle 4s?
- do I need to just update the motor/fan/esc?
- what are people doing?

I have Revo platinum 3s 40C 2200 packs. But open to going to 4s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 10, 2013, 02:18 AM
Glow? What is that?
Go to a 50-60amp 4s capable ESC.
And use a 1800- 2200mah 4S
Fan stays stock.

4 min of absolute fun!
Aug 10, 2013, 07:21 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
[QUOTE=RobNHood;25805120]I just picked up one of these with the 3s setup. Flies great. I've been plowing through the posts to get info on ideas for a power increase, but it's 185 pages!

Can someone point me to some posts or summarize some ideas on what guys are doing for more power? I don't mind adding weight, as I am using this as a trainer toward heavier composite 90mms.

- bang for buck upgrade?
- If I change out the esc, will the motor handle 4s?
- do I need to just update the motor/fan/esc?
- what are people doing?

I have Revo platinum 3s 40C 2200 packs. But open to going to 4s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hi, a few people went with Dons Wicked 4s setups for this jet.
Motor and esc need upgraded. They have had great results with his upgrades. A couple have hogged out some foam and put in 70mm units. There are guys on you tube doing VTO's, funny stuff man.

Here's dons wicked rc

http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php

Here's the VTO

Hobby King Stinger takes of vertically from the ground. (0 min 11 sec)
Aug 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider

Hi, a few people went with Dons Wicked 4s setups for this jet.Motor and esc need upgraded. They have had great results with his upgrades.
i am one of those people. and i HIGHLY recommend the 4S switcharoo

i flew mine for the first time last sat on the 4s setup. i came home and immediately ordered more batts !
Aug 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
I've been flying mine for a year now on 3s. It's really relaxing for me, I have a couple of 6s Habus and they rip compared to the Stinger. So I fly this one to slow down a bit.

I was thinking to get another Stinger and either cut down a 70mm CS12 fan to 64mm size or just squeeze a 70mm CS12 in there so it doesn't sound like a dremel tool but I haven't had the time.

@ RobNHood, Another mod to consider is relocating the ESC into the intake. This will free up the fuse for larger packs and keep things cool. I did this to my Stinger and it worked out good. I don't have the photos on my phone, but I just copied them from my previous posts (long time ago). Here are the links to those::

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...1-DSC07548.jpg

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...4-DSC07547.jpg

If you click on "thread tools" at the top of the page, and then click on "show attachments", you can see a few others with similar esc mods. Also some cool paint jobs too. It's a good starter jet. A Habu 2 would be another good one, perhaps a stepping stone to larger composites. You can get really crazy with the foam Habus. They have flaps and retracts, and plenty of spare parts if (I should say "when") needed. A couple guys have them flying 140'ish mph.
Last edited by supercollider; Aug 10, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Aug 11, 2013, 01:57 AM
Just plane addicted!
Awesome! I read some of the Don's 4s mods and that's what I will do then.

Any recommendations on rotors/fans that are multi-blade that have more of the woosh sound and less like a dremel?

I saw this...
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Impeller.html

I realize the higher blade count rotors will have a bigger load - but am sure Don has a motor for something like that.

Thanks again.

- Rob
Aug 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
Just plane addicted!
I'll look at some ideas for relocating the esc - it's definitely in the way where they put it.

Quick Reply