Oct 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I just saw that ten minutes ago Chas650r. that is a better deal than HK! I'm all over it. I'm getting over confident with it and stalling it out trying too many moves with it. Good thing they are fairly cheap.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Try to search for this but no luck. Can anyone tell me what they use to secure the cover just ahead of the tail to the fuse? Thanks much!
Oct 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
double sided tape
Oct 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
double sided tape
okay great! i was going to use hot glue! thanks!
Oct 18, 2012, 03:20 AM
Im kinda of curious to what are some of the faster 4 cell setups out there? are the EDF units plastic or aluminum? What motors are people running? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Oct 18, 2012, 06:14 AM
I have read many thoughts on CG after 141 pages!!! Great info but can anyone help me lock in for maiden on stock 3S 1800 25C (148g)? I'm thinking high rates at 70% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 100% Elevator. Low rates at 50% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 80% Elevator. Should i launch on high rates as i do with other non EDF planes? Also it seems that everyone says to leave Elevator rates almost full for more flare for low speed landing. Are Aileron rates still too high for first flights? I'm keeping rudder at a minimum as no knife edge expected initially. Thanks much!
Oct 18, 2012, 06:34 AM
More questions Sorry! I would like to paint or decal the under wing/ fuse as I have all my plane set ups. Top wing always gets a color and bottom wing with black or black stripes on 1/3rd of the under wing tip and usually black on bottom of the fuse under canopy and tail. Helps me a great deal with orientation especially with close fast manuevers. ANYWAY.. Can anyone suggest how to remove decals from bottom wing and is paint or decals better for this type of foam? If paint any suggestions on what brand/type of paint? Thanks much!
Oct 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
I used masking tape to pull off the stickers and paint. I then used Krylon paint for plastics. I decanted the spray can and poured the paint out into a tupperware. I then brushed on the paint.
Oct 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
I used masking tape to pull off the stickers and paint. I then used Krylon paint for plastics. I decanted the spray can and poured the paint out into a tupperware. I then brushed on the paint.
ok great thanks!
Oct 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
I use krylon fusion. After removing decals, you already have a white base to work with. I clean with rubbing alcohol, and mask off 2 stripes on the wings and spray paint. Have done this with a few edf's and works good. Good visibilty.

As for the cg, push the 1800 pack against the foam ledge towards the nose, it's that simple. The cg will be near the REAR of the finger holes. Plus, you still have 10mm fore or aft, it doesn't have to be perfect. The CG as listed in the maual is a little too foreward. Full throttle into the wind and it will fly. Get some altitude and trim. Mine needed 2 clicks of up.

And you're rates sound good but perhaps elevator on low rates should also be 50%. Add a little expo too, like 35%, to soften things up. You can launch on low rates with no problems. After around 45 flights, I still have my ailerons set at 50% travel. At 100%, the roll rate borders on violent. It looks funny to, not very scale. You start to wonder how the lipo doesn't fly out of the fuse when rolling.

Here's a couple of photos with some different mods too.

Good luck and let us know how the maiden goes.
Last edited by supercollider; Oct 18, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add photos
Oct 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider
I use krylon plasticote(I think thats what it's called), for plastics. After removing decals, you already have a white base to work with. I clean with rubbing alcohol, and mask off 3 stripes on the wings and spray paint. Have done this with a few edf's and works good. Good visibilty.

As for the cg, push the 1800 pack against the foam ledge towards the nose, it's that simple. The cg will be near the REAR of the finger holes. But still, you have 10mm or so margin. Full throttle into the wind and it will fly. Get some altitude and trim. Mine needed 2 clicks of up.

And you're rates sound good but perhaps elevator on low rates should also be 50%. Add a little expo too, like 35%, to soften things up. You can launch on low rates with no problems. After around 45 flights, I still have my ailerons set at 50% travel. At 100%, the roll rate borders on violent. It looks funny to, not very scale. You start to wonder how the lipo doesn't fly out of the fuse when rolling.

Good luck and let us know how the maiden goes.
Excellent info thanks very much!!!
Oct 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1
Excellent info thanks very much!!!
Your welcome, I also added some photos to my previous post
Oct 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
personally, I prefer to launch on high rates and switch to low rates for high speed. I've tried low rates and it's more than flyable that way from launch to touchdown.

as far as best setups, Dons is the best by far. for the money, quality and plug and playability, you can't beat it. the metal fans are cool, but they don't belong in a foamie IMHO. the biggest reason, is that they sink the heat straight to the airframe, which is why I don't use them on foamies. weight can also be a factor too. not saying don't use them, just giving reasons why I don't use them for foamies. heat and foam just don't mix well.

I can also tell you this much...............my Dons setup was way less than any metal EDF out there and it performs on par, or better than my metal fans. you just can't beat it. plus, Don stands behind his products. I will continue to support him based on that selling feature alone.
Oct 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7
personally, I prefer to launch on high rates and switch to low rates for high speed. I've tried low rates and it's more than flyable that way from launch to touchdown.

as far as best setups, Dons is the best by far. for the money, quality and plug and playability, you can't beat it. the metal fans are cool, but they don't belong in a foamie IMHO. the biggest reason, is that they sink the heat straight to the airframe, which is why I don't use them on foamies. weight can also be a factor too. not saying don't use them, just giving reasons why I don't use them for foamies. heat and foam just don't mix well.

I can also tell you this much...............my Dons setup was way less than any metal EDF out there and it performs on par, or better than my metal fans. you just can't beat it. plus, Don stands behind his products. I will continue to support him based on that selling feature alone.
I have not dealt with Dons personally, but he is well spoken of and he certainly does his homework on what works best.
Oct 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
Hi Guys I have read all of this thread and love this little plane already what are the best servos to use in this bird ?anyone used the EXTREME CNC ALLOY 10 BLADE 64mm FAN in this jet?
And who else sells this kit in airframe only?
Cheers
Last edited by Quadmad; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply