This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Discussion

The DLG and Me

My first plane after my .40 size trainer was a profile 3D plane. It was a total accident that I bought a $30 scratch built profile but it paved the way for the rest of my RC career. Over powered and huge throws were all I wanted. This led to me creating the Profile Brotherhood and that led to me working as the PR marketing person at Hobby Lobby back in the early days of 3D. It was the beginning of the brushless outrunners and lipos. Mike Glass and I created the first pre-printed foamy planes. I have a garage and workshop full of profile planes and some Nikitis foamies that still do the job but things have taken a turn!
Last summer I was at the Clover Creek Invitational doing coverage for RCGroups.com and FlyingGiants.com. During the lunch break a pilot walked out on the grass and threw up a discuss launch glider. The DLG hit it's peak height and then he starting doing some hardcore aerobatics. He did them all the way back to his hand and then spun around and threw the plane back into the air. That was it, I knew I wanted one. Now I have one, thanks to Skip Miller, and it's on the bench and ready to be tossed into the sky. I spent the afternoon working with my new Aurora 9, learning how it worked and tweaking the DLG. It's raining right now but I'm hoping to get a quick first flight in the morning.
What would make me shift from over powered 3D planes to a DLG plane? I think it might be the simplicity - a plane, two servos, a battery, an RX, and the wind. Here is a plane that actually has to be flown. Many years ago Jim Martin, the founder of Hobby Lobby, stood behind me one day and watched as I flew 3D. When I asked him what I thought he said, "What you are doing up there is an abomination!" "That's not flight! That's an affront to aviation!" While I didn't agree then, and I don't agree now, I do think that Mr. Martin might actually appreciate my DLG.

A vid of a DLG in action:
DLG F3K aerobatic funfly by Kölleteam (0 min 45 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
Jim,
I have also been bitten by the DLG bug and I mostly fly EDFs! I watch the for sale section looking for a used one...but I am left handed

Good luck!
May 26, 2011, 08:00 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Jim, I am looking forward to your DLG adventures! I am thinking I need one myself...
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
May 26, 2011, 08:07 AM
Bob Olson

Dlg

BE CAREFUL - there is a certain addicting power when you launch once and fly for 15 minutes! It will happen - then you will realize how great the ratio of stick time to prep time truly is! There are times when I will fly dozens of hours over a period of months without making any ajustments, just charge & fly. Am looking forward to hearing about your experience with DLG on the Hand Launch page, and by the way - What a great bunch of guys!!! Bob Olson...
May 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
The weather has kept me down this week but I'm hoping to get her in the air soon. I do wish I had some ailerons for rolls. Has anyone taken a non aileron wing like mine and added them? Doesn't seem like it would be too tough.
May 26, 2011, 04:46 PM
Wood Chucker

Ailerons

You can add ailerons if the wing is thick enough. Typical micro servos are in the 10mm range. It seems anything much smaller than that just doesn't have the torque you'd need. I would only entertain this if you're willing to risk the airframe completely. I might suggest just getting something like the TopSky II that was designed for flaperons. It will have lower dihedral and much, much better roll response. Be careful in flaperon equipped models though. The temptation to reduce dihedral should be resisted unless you're really fond of skidding through all your turns and loosing a crap ton of altitude every time you do.

The others are right though. DLG can be pretty addicting.
Last edited by Lacquerhead; May 26, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
May 26, 2011, 06:11 PM
You shouldn't be skidding around corners regardless of how much dihedral you have...

Jim, buying a new wing is probably the best way to go. You can get a set of TopSky 2 Super wings from www.themonstr.com for $190, and that's kevlar skin with a carbon dbox.

DLGs are definitely addicting, I haven't flown anything else since I started flying DLGs. You might start selling off your other planes soon!
May 26, 2011, 07:18 PM
just go FLY !!
oh Jim...here's a challenge....write a song about DLG and post it. i have bought my first DLG after watching some guys at SEFF.
May 27, 2011, 12:05 AM
2 years ago, I saved up to purchase 2 3DHS 70" RTF if not for a video posted here which changed my RC course. I only fly DLG now. Thank you for RCG, i sold my engines, motors, balsa airplane to buy DLGs.

Tai
May 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Jim, if you get a chance, go to DLG competition, or find other flyers near you. Like music, it's a lot more fun when you find others to do it with, and your skills will improve exponentially. FWIW, "The Bruce", by far the fastest growing "large" contest in the US, will be held later this year a few hours north of you. The vast majority of the best DLG pilots in the Nation will be flying at "The Thermal Farm" at Bruce Davidson's place. It would be a good one for you to check out. If you go, be careful posing for pictures. Make sure "that Gavin guy" isn't anywhere around. It's a set up.
Last edited by carlsoti; May 29, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
May 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
I don't know of any DLG pilots in Nashville but I do know that Jason Cole and some others fly sail planes around here. I will check them out. A user on the site is sending me a wing with ailerons so I will be able to get that going soon. Thanks for all the help so far!
May 31, 2011, 02:00 PM
Wood Chucker
What ya need to do is get those other stodgy glider guiders in Nashville to start flying DLGs. I'm meeting more and more people in the LHS that are interested in them. If you're not after full-zoot carbon composite molded ships they are relatively inexpensive. I'd rather fly my DLG than go golfing. It's as close to exercise as I care to get these days.
May 31, 2011, 02:26 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Maybe I can get Andrew Jesky to give me some tips at the next show. I hear he is pretty good a the DLG.
May 31, 2011, 04:15 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Really? You should probably edit that post, so the hardcore 3D guys don't get all weepy. I know of a few guys here in AZ that would be on suicide watch if they found out A.J. flys gliders.
Jun 02, 2011, 10:47 AM
Wood Chucker
My neighbor is a hardcore 3D guy in the making. He's got at least three 3DHS models, one of which is sitting on my workbench right now. He used to get a kick out of me launching my DLG until I nearly took his head off. In my defense I did tell him not to stand where he was.

Quick Reply