May 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
Newbie!
Thread OP
Discussion

best bang for the buck

what is a good programmable transmitter out there that is say around 100 dollars? i want 2.4 ghz and at least 6 channels, if not 7. i dont need brand name or anything, i just need it to work. having inexpensive recievers helps too thanks ahead of time guys!
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2011, 11:13 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Turnigy 9x from Hobby King (or other versions of the FlySky 9x).

It's listed at about $60 but will cost closer to $100 with shipping. Includes receiver. Works only with the appropriate HK or FlySky receivers, of course (all 2.4 is proprietary), so order extras when you buy.

HK also have programmable 6 channel radios for around $35 but they need to be plugged into a computer.
May 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Just a warning, a friend had one and he lost a 700.00+ plane when the tx failed to transmit when he was flying.....

Brian, an EAJ
May 23, 2011, 09:43 AM
Best bang for the buck is totally different than what is cheap especially when you consider reliability, features, and support.

If you like the bind and fly models then a spektrum radio is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. In that case probably a DX6i. It's not the nicest radio available by no means and lacks a lot of features that I want in a radio (flight modes, ability to bind all of your high/low rates to a single switch, throttle controlled timer, etc) so for me it's not the best bang for the buck, but I would trust it over the stuff designed in China any day of the week.

schu
May 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Cambridge Plateau, NSW, Aust
I'll second the coments by schu, the DX6i is a great low-end Tx

Rob
May 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderboy
I'll second the coments by schu, the DX6i is a great low-end Tx

Rob
I fully agree, but it doesn't meet the $100 limit specified.

As for the $700 plane that crashed. First, one would normally not use a $100 transmitter for such a model. Second, the 9X can be quite reliable if used intelligently.
May 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Just a warning, a friend had one and he lost a 700.00+ plane when the tx failed to transmit when he was flying.....

Brian, an EAJ
If your friend flies $700 plane, why does he skimp on radio?
Flying $700 plane with $53 radio doesn't make a sense.

From my experience, Turnigy/SkyFly/iMAX 9X brand radios are as reliable as any major brands. RF link is solid. I have never crashed a plane using these 9X radios while I crashed twice using Spektrum.

9X is still the best bang for the buck if you are looking a low priced radio. Its programing is as good, or even superior to any other 8ch or 9ch radios costing several hundred dollars. I dumped all other major brand radios below 7ch.
Last edited by John Kim; May 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
May 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
Newbie!
Thread OP
i dont like ordering from hobby king, so i think ill go with the dx6i. thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply