May 20, 2011, 07:54 AM
New to planes
Thread OP
Discussion

Im New, Asking some questions about my new project

Im building An Ugly Stick 1/2A from plans for a 1/8A.
Since I aqured 2 cox .049s

I need to build it 1/2A so im going to scale it up ive scaled the plans up 50% on my scanner.

And I have a few questions.

What size is the dihedrel Angle and do I scale this up by 50% ( dont think I should)

And the angles for the engine placement should these also stay the same.
dose this change with differnt prop variations.

These are the plans im using hope im not braking any rules in my first post placing them here.
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf

Thanks vary much for any help
.Joe.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2011, 10:27 AM
Personally?? I'd go NO dihederal. fit the Ailerons and Forget rudder control.
May 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
New to planes
Thread OP
Will it be as easy to learn with? Also I only want it two channel so I can use my existing transmitter.

Do you know wether the thrust angles need changeing
May 20, 2011, 03:10 PM
My plans are in my blog
The thrust angles of the firewall may not need changing, just be sure they aren't off by a lot when you get around to building it. Personally I'l go to maybe two or three degrees down thrust, if I add it. Right thrust is almost always needed though. I've had no trouble with several degrees.
If you dump the diehedral you can use ailerons and elevator to turn the plane. "Yank and bank" they refer to it. Works well.
If it was me building thisplane I'd go with a 36 inch wingspan, and make efforts to make sure it's under 16 ounces.
Nice plans, it ought to make for a nice flyer.
May 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
New to planes
Thread OP
Thanks for the info people, ill have make it with alerons then. It should come out alright ill get grandfather on the case, hes used to building tissue matchstick planes but he'll enjoy helping.

If all else fails ill build an air boat there easy

Stripped the engines before tea, there in good condition one is an origonal .049 thimble drome. The other is a mk2 cox .049 the latters the better one but they both seem quite good nick. Only fault is one of the glow heads looks to be burnt out. Im getting some fuel on monday to test them out.
May 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
me madjoe 90,

The LA Stick is derived from the Ace Littlest Stick. Built stock it's a quick flyer meant for experienced pilots. If you fly with ailerons keep the wing flat - it'll fly a lot better. While an experienced pilot will be fine with it, it doesn't have the desirable flight characteristics that a trainer has. Even if you build it with rudder instead, it still won't be a good trainer. Small planes like this can be very responsive. A better choice would be to build something like a Q-Tee (RCM plans service still carries them).

Hogflyer
May 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
You can easily turn that thing into a "trainer' by simply adding 1" length between engine mount and wing leading edge AND 2" between wing trailing edge and rudder (lengthen the fuse appropriately Front and Back)

IMO Aileron & Elevator is the BEST beginner/trainer setup.
Beginners respond better to controls that are quick and positive.. not delayed/sluggish in response.
Doesn't stop them from silly mistakes, but at least the thing actually does what it's told :-)
May 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
My plans are in my blog
I printed out the plans yesterday and studied them for a bit. One can easily add a "cabin" to the design, thus putting the main wing up higher, and create a Das Ugly Trainer. Of course, as Bare says, adding length to the fuselage will help too.
May 22, 2011, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
You can easily turn that thing into a "trainer' by simply adding 1" length between engine mount and wing leading edge AND 2" between wing trailing edge and rudder (lengthen the fuse appropriately Front and Back)

IMO Aileron & Elevator is the BEST beginner/trainer setup.
Beginners respond better to controls that are quick and positive.. not delayed/sluggish in response.
Doesn't stop them from silly mistakes, but at least the thing actually does what it's told :-)
I don't get that at all...

A trainer for a complete beginners should be self-stabilizing and fly slow. Changing the fuse will do none of that. What you need is a high wing with dihederal. This can then be flown with the rudder and elevator alone. The rudder can be placed on the aileron channel to avoid confusion with later aileron planes. On a modern radio you can even add a full mix between rudder and elevator so that even the ground control is learnt the proper way. For a complete beginner you'll be well off with something like the thunder tiger scooter.

The LA-Stick type of planes are excellent "second" planes that you'll never grow out of.

Last edited by surfer_kris; May 22, 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Added a picture of the Thunder tiger "Scooter"
May 22, 2011, 04:47 AM
New to planes
Thread OP
Well im building it now and im sure it wont be to hard to get the hang of. Ive flowen my mates trainer a few times its slow and boreing.

But thank you all for your input years ago they dident realy have trainer planes did they they just bught a kit built it flew it crashed it built another. untill you got good at building them and not crashing them
May 22, 2011, 06:14 AM
If you already can fly, then go with elevator and ailerons, no diheadral, and don't blink when it is in the air...

May 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
Back to the question "Will it be easy to learn with?" The answer is "no". Those who advised you to get a trainer are on the money.

I taught myself with an .049 on a Top Flite Schoolmaster. It had a 39 inch span. 300 sq inches and weighed 20 oz. I had throttle control...a needle through the intake hole in the backplate. Crude, but the important thing was that I could cut the engine as soon as I got in trouble, which was often in the beginning. Only other control was rudder, but later added an elevator servo. This was pretty slow (but I didn't think so at first!) and it had a moderate amount of dihedral, no ailerons. Lots of fun and it really taught me.

Jim
May 22, 2011, 08:17 AM
One more thing...since you are willing to scratch build, I would get a copy of Randy Randolph's plans for the "Nickel" from AMA Plans. It is light, 44 inch span, simple, easy design for 049 and I think it will be a perfect trainer for you with that engine.

Another choice would be Twilighter II from MAN plans, another RR design. That one is larger, no landing gear...a powered glider but it doesn't have such a long wing as most powered gliders and I suspect it would be more responsive and easier to handle. It would be nice and slow...a really fun plane to learn on I believe.

Jim
May 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
Here's the pictures of the one I just built, I'm using a Parkzone 180 electric motor on it. (I'm still waiting for the motor) I built mine 4ch.
May 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
Will fly for food
If you are just starting, I would go with something more like the Q-Tee.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1387587

Very easy to fly. I taught myself to fly on one.

Angles do not need to be changed when you scale up or down. Angles are angles.

Quick Reply