May 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

school me up on airplane tx's as boat use

can this tx/rx be used on a tug to operate twin screw,dual motors and esc plus seperate rudders
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXYWM9

I remember trying to use a 4 channel heli tx but couldnt due to the rx/mixer built in.
Can this set up be used since I already have it at home in a crashed plane?
would I have to change the rx?
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2011, 03:55 AM
Yes you could. Its just a basic 4ch radio with servo reversing switches and v-tail or elvon mix available at the flick of a switch. You would only have to convert the other gymble to ratchet slide operation in the up/down direction as for the throttle stick. This would give up/down for dual motors and left/right for dual rudders on each stick. Interesting concept.
Try it out with 4 servos plugged into the Rx to see the effect.
May 20, 2011, 11:06 AM
GILL
ONLY IF THE RADIOS ARE 2.4 or converted from 72 to 75 mhz.

DO NOT use a 72 mhz radio fro surface use. only 27 and 75 mhz.

Other then that the radios are the same. I do use mixing on some of my boats. The last one I built has 6 rudders, 4 flanking and 2 rear. It also has twin trottles. So I use mixing and switch the mixes on/off as needed for the rudders and speed control.
Check the Futaba T9CAP thread.
May 20, 2011, 09:56 PM
Will fly for food
I use a Turnigy 9x potted with epoxy in my homemade RC boats. Works great! (They tend to get a lot of water in them...)
May 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hobby King Hater
All the flying fields here have gone to 2.4
all together. They told us it is fine to use the
old air radios for the boats.
The odds of some one flying at the lake are
about the same as two people, unknown to
each other flying at the lake.

We have seven boats and only two of them
are surface radios.

You do need to find out if the fields in your
area are close to where you will be using
your boat and what they use.
May 22, 2011, 12:24 AM
Will fly for food
I'm all for using old TXs for boats. Where my friends drive boats, there is nowhere near where anyone can fly, and some of us use old FM and AM radios.
May 22, 2011, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
There are no flying feilds anywhere close to me,like 25 miles
My main concern is this tx/rx working for the function I want it for

Is there a kit that will spring center the left stick
May 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
actually, there are still quite a few people on 72mhz still- so please, don't use it in a boat.
You can search for several threads here on the topic.
As cheaply as we can get a 2.4 set from china its just not worth the chance of crashing someones plane and possibly hurting someone.
btw, it can happen- last year at one of the flying fields I go to my car got hit by a plane that had stalled and was out of control. Wasn't a radio issue as far as we know, but it still put a dent about 1 1/2" deep in my roof. Would have hit me with the debris if I had been on the other side of my car. So, it can happen.
The FCC made it a law to keep air and surface channels separate for this reason.

But I use a tactic 2.4 radio in my boats and it works just fine.
Unless you are using a rather old Tactic, its probably 2.4 ghz.

Patric
May 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
Will fly for food
What do hydroplanes qualify as? surface or air?

RC Flying Hydro Plane Thing (6 min 57 sec)
May 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
i would reccomend getting a radio that has elevon funtions. for say a flying wing airplane. i use the function to opreate the individual motors and have separate rudders. been doing that for a while. funny the guys in the club i was in had just discovered this last year. i was doing it a year before them. lol. great function to have. makes the tug very versatile. doug.
May 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilektron
What do hydroplanes qualify as? surface or air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q24sjLUzF4
Technically, true hydroplanes (MISS AMERICA IX, MISS BUDWEISER, etc.) are boats because the true screw propellor is in the water. Swinging a large air screw propellor at the front and including elevons, doesn't make it a true hydroplane; rather it qualifies as a flying boat.
May 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Will fly for food
My rebuttal

Flying boats...

May 24, 2011, 07:34 AM
GILL
Kimber, I have to disagree, NOT ALL flying fields are 2.4, The flying club I belong too has a 72 only field as every 2.4 that came out crashed.
It is legal to use 2.4 for surface and air, BUT it is NOT legal to use 72MHz for surface any where in the US. If you check the federal law you will find that using 72 on for surface is subject to a $ 2,000.00 fine and the equipment is confiscated.
The same goes for using 75MHz for air craft.
I have already seen this happen.
Some of these older radios have a range over 5 miles.

DO NOT USE 72MHz RADIOS FOR BOATS OR CARS. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
May 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC
ONLY IF THE RADIOS ARE 2.4 or converted from 72 to 75 mhz.
DO NOT use a 72 mhz radio fro surface use. only 27 and 75 mhz.
Other then that the radios are the same. .
Gill said it like it is---.
May 25, 2011, 05:06 AM
Stilwell Shipyard

Planes, trains and automobiles

Gill is correct but don't get your knickers in a twist. 2.4 with spread spectrum or frequency hopping is here to stay on land sea and air. Why? Because it is a better system.

Many model airplane facilities/flying fields no longer make provisions for 72 mhz equipment. While on duty one day in our March event (75 pilots and nearly 200 planes) I did not see one pilot using the old 72 mhz equipment although it was authorized.

Larry
http://www.rseahawks.org

Quick Reply