Apr 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
Opt
Opt
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
In all cases you need to either use a dedicated battery to have it silent enough, or use intensive filtering which will pump the complexity of the transmitter up to what you can buy as a full flegged transmitter if you do it propperly...

HTH

Markus
Hi Markus
Can you please elaborate - silent enough for clean video or silent enough to extract the maximum power/range from the transmitter?
thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
Chris
Quote:
The RC305 uses only a linear voltage regulator which you CAN in fact drive with 3s. However, if you do so it gets freaking hot, and if the sun at the same time also shines onto the rx housing, it gets so hot that the rx module, or better said the chipset in there, decides to stop working and you get a black picuture output. You have to cycle power to get a video signal back if this happens, and unless you are lucky enough to be close enough to you to land the plane without FPV, your plane is gone... So, it's better to drive the rx with 2s. The good news is that most components are happy with 2s anyways. I formyself drive my antenna tracker, receiver and video recorder, that said the complete groundstation with 2s only....

HTH

Markus
Thanks! Will modify my cabling!
Apr 16, 2013, 03:44 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt
Hi Markus
Can you please elaborate - silent enough for clean video or silent enough to extract the maximum power/range from the transmitter?
thanks!
Silent enough for clean video. Filtering out the noise generated by a ESC is no rocket sience, but it takes some efforts to do it right.

Markus
May 22, 2013, 07:23 AM

1KM+ with 200mw and SPW/CL

Using a 200mW TX I was able to get out to 1km without any problems.

I built a SPW and a CL antenna set using 0.6mm MIG wire. Neither is tuned as I'm cheap and don't have the equipment to do it. I measured both for 5800GHz exactly using digital callipers, and tried my best to keep the feed gap to less than 1mm.

At higher altitudes the video signal got very snowy, but if I stayed lower the signal was amazing. I probably could have gone a bit further but my spotter would have lost sight of the plane.
May 22, 2013, 08:11 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWill
Using a 200mW TX I was able to get out to 1km without any problems.

I built a SPW and a CL antenna set using 0.6mm MIG wire. Neither is tuned as I'm cheap and don't have the equipment to do it. I measured both for 5800GHz exactly using digital callipers, and tried my best to keep the feed gap to less than 1mm.

At higher altitudes the video signal got very snowy, but if I stayed lower the signal was amazing. I probably could have gone a bit further but my spotter would have lost sight of the plane.
Your results are absolutely along of what's expected with a DYI CL/SPW set of antennas and this tx/rx.

With fine tuned antennas, I reached 6km using also a pair of CL/SPW and 4km is doable absolutely regularly. Of course this asumes a low noise envireonement.

HTH

Markus
May 22, 2013, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Your results are absolutely along of what's expected with a DYI CL/SPW set of antennas and this tx/rx.

With fine tuned antennas, I reached 6km using also a pair of CL/SPW and 4km is doable absolutely regularly. Of course this asumes a low noise envireonement.

HTH

Markus
Thanks Markus. At least I know my home-brew antennas are working as expected. I've got a 5 turn helical to test out now-- any ideas as to what I should expect range wise?

A 4x increase in range is a pretty good incentive to shell out the $40 for a set of tuned antennas. I've spent more for less.
May 23, 2013, 04:10 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
on homebrew stuff .. the 5 turn will get you about 6km if it is good. hell I made a crappy one that got me out 5km when I first started this thread

Stick the antenna to your head and you will have a safe 3km clean flight and if you go too far off .... turn your head. This is the great things about 5.8ghz ... small.
May 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
Guess I was lucky, my diy set of 5.8 cl&spw has 2.5km of groundtested range (flyable video quality) if the vrx is mounted high (like 3m in the air)...And they are very ugly made compared to pro-builders.

Now I got to impendance match my helix, since without the match it had bad video quality, worse than the omni's...Guess that match is pretty important.
May 23, 2013, 05:34 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
I finally jumped into FPV after 33 years in the hobby. Decided the 200w range was best for my needs. I will be reading the thread to catch up. Will have lots of questions for you guys later.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jun 02, 2013, 12:25 AM

Awesome stuff buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by costi_n
Hi folks!

On Saturday morning our attempt to establish a new FPV 5.8 -200 mW distance record succeeded. Futurebreeze was the pilot, me...antenna tracker . But there was a price: we lost the plane. Our target was reaching 12km but eventually (unfortunately) there were over 18km.
Only yesterday we could see the video because after we lost video contact we rushed to our car to chase the signal from the plane and I just unplugged the power connector of the video recorder (thank you Renato for it) without stopping the recording. So our file wasn’t properly closed so we had to recover with some complicated procedures implying headers modifying etc.
Only now we can give an explanation of what caused my disorientation, because yes, at 12km I got disoriented. Why? Because the Remzibi’s OSD arrow got crazy at that time. Every turn I tried to take the god damn it arrow won’t show a trusty way to follow. One moment I tried to ignore the arrow and I was watching the distance but everything I did this was increasing. Underneath there was a river valley… I knew that if I had followed this I could reach home. Combining the landmarks, the sun’s position (or maybe what I thought it was the sun) and the distance showed by the OSD I tried desperately to return home. But unfortunately I failed. Maybe If I had taken the opposite directions following the river I would have reach home safely.
Anyway, the final explanation is simple: when we took off the wind had some direction…in the meantime he changed its direction in a very bad way for our initial flight path. So even if I kept in view some landmarks in fact I was circling around them and at the final point I got disoriented and the way back wasn’t just turning 180 degree. The wind was strong enough that even if I tried to head different ways the resulting movement of the plane was what the arrow was showing. Maybe a magnetic compass would have helped. On the next plane I’ll have a different approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPw6qQO3YY

You guys did an awesome job ! Thank you so much for that eye candy !

If you could be kind enough to tell me what you RC set up and video set up interms of antenna was that will be great . Were you using 2.4ghz for RC ?

Thanks once again .
Jun 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
FPV addicted
This was long time ago, we have a solid 19,2km record, I think is somewhere on this thread.
But there is the 20km record on post #1018 by Kondor, better ask there about the setup
Jul 05, 2013, 02:14 PM
Expat
How do you guys find high humidity and clouds with 200mw 5.8? I'm hoping for 1 km solid in such conditions. Is a CL, 3 turn helical combo reasonable? Will homemade have a chance? Or advisable to buy IBCrazy made?
I was all set to use this on my tricopter with FRSKY, but hear conflicting reports about range in humid conditions.
Thanks!
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html
Jul 06, 2013, 04:39 AM
Chris
I reached 2km with home-badly made Cl+ 4 turn helical on 5.8 200mw. I think it can do better if made a bit better (still, with no tuning)

I think I always need to make 2-3 antennas before I reach a good state of skill to build "the good one".

Don't know about clouds etc.
Aug 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Is it ok to use a pair of rp sma fat shark spironet on fox tech equipment,
they are right hand polarized I beleive
Aug 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
If plugs match, yes. If you mean Rc305 combo, yes, it is rp sma.

Quick Reply