Aug 30, 2011, 06:59 AM
Guys so which is the current price/performance favourite when it comes to 5.8ghz 200mW? It's this one right: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15295

Why are there bad reviews at the top...
Last edited by msev; Aug 30, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hi, maybe not the right place, but ...
Does any of you have a link to DIY diversity controller?
Thanks
Aug 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Guys so which is the current price/performance favourite when it comes to 5.8ghz 200mW? It's this one right: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15295

Why are there bad reviews at the top...
Well because hobbyking give no documents with it. no worries though as they are the same units sold at foxtechfpv.com and bevrc.com

We are using the same ones but NOT with those antennas. We all use CP antennas as the stock are pointless. But don't throw them away as you can rip off the cap and then use that cable to make your own cp antennas.
Aug 30, 2011, 08:22 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSa2 View Post
Hi, maybe not the right place, but ...
Does any of you have a link to DIY diversity controller?
Thanks
of course .. click on IBCrazy's name .... they are all there!
Aug 30, 2011, 09:32 AM
I am aware of the goodness of CP antenna's ....that unit that we are talking about, it can be powered from a seperate video battery right (would 2S do? how big battery do I need for the vtx)...what about vrx battery (2S or 3S)..I know the stock antennas are generally bad but has anyone tried increasing the range with a windsurfer reflector (scrtsqrl had good success with a windsurfer on 2.4ghz)...
Last edited by msev; Aug 30, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Aug 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Quote:
I am aware of the goodness of CP antenna's ....that unit that we are talking about, it can be powered from a seperate video battery right (would 2S do? how big battery do I need for the vtx)...what about vrx battery (2S or 3S)..I know the stock antennas are generally bad but has anyone tried increasing the range with a windsurfer reflector (scrtsqrl had good success with a windsurfer on 2.4ghz)...
the video tx and rx can both be powered from s2. I run my plane on s3 because of the camera needing 12 volts but I use s2 on the ground as it keeps my fatshark cooler. On the ground I run a 800mah for the receiver and goggles for an hour. In the plane I run a 1 battery system, all on s3.

No idea about the windsurfer but since it remains linear I am going nowhere near it. I have a 5.8ghz patch which I never use. I get much better results from CP antennas.
Aug 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
You can power the rx with a 2s battery, and you also could use a dedicated battery for the tx, but there is no problem with powering the tx directly from your 3s flight battery.

Don't even bother with a windsurfer etc. Get CP antennas as others mentioned. It's a quantum leap and especially with 5.8Ghz reflections will otherwise kill you.

Markus
Aug 30, 2011, 01:18 PM
I think you guys should also try the turbine cp antenna, just for scientific purpuses

What's the beam width for a 6 turn helical? With such a small antenna aiming must be pretty delicate right?

Theoretical question, if I were to make also a cp omni for rc (both on receiver and transmitter), what range could I achieve, the power output is probably 100mW (turnigy 9x)...Some guys get even 3km from the 9x with the stock antennas, how is that possible?
Last edited by msev; Aug 30, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Aug 30, 2011, 01:24 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Thread OP
Quote:
I think you guys should also try the turbine cp antenna, just for scientific purpuses

What's the beam width for a 6 turn helical? With such a small antenna aiming must be pretty delicate right?
not really. Look at my video on the front page. At the end I am in pretty close going sideways. .5km and all still good.

I would love to try the turbine. It seems like a great antenna
Aug 30, 2011, 01:27 PM
But it looks very hard to make
Aug 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
But it looks very hard to make
The turbine and virewent etc. antennas are great also. Those antennas are fairly compareable in performance with a CL or SPW. The "hard to make" has it's reflection in the price Hugo asks for one.

I'm currently experimenting a lot and I will share my findings once I have completed the test round I started.

Markus
Aug 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Those antennas are fairly compareable in performance with a CL or SPW
You tried them?

-Hugo
Aug 30, 2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnquill View Post
Can you post your setup, especially 1) what camera and 2) what recorder? I think the pic quality looks exceptionally good! Best I've ever seen.
Thanx.
Cam is a 600TVL from kamera2000.com
(http://www.kamera2000.com/products/6...8mm-Linse.html )
Recorder is 2,5" DVR, RM RMVB REKORDER Multimedia 2.5 HDD PLAYER RECORDER 3 (not availiable anymore, i think)

( http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_5102wt_906)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
I think he is using a 6 turn helical. They are easy to build too Once you get them up and going you won't turn back. I am very happy with the performance and I am going to build another with a wave trap setup.

@rabe2000 you said you were getting some interference ... blueangle posted this
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=24

try picking a band that is outside the wifi area. Here in europe I use band 5. 5885mhz

oh, are you using an antenna tracker?
Was my new 14-turn Helical, but had also video with the 8-turn (bit worse).
Yes, use a Tracker, EagleEyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
rabe2000 - great achivent!! It looks i missed it, how many turns on the helix?
Thanx. 14 turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Congrats rabe2000! Keep pushing the limits, guys. I'm sure you'll get even further in future flights.

-Alex
Thanx Alex. Without your work this would not have been possible.
I have to thank you for your published How-to's.
Hopefully with the Guardian my RTH works fine, then I will try the 10 km.
Aug 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
You tried them?
-Hugo
Hugo,

I built a virevent and tried it. I am in the process of trying your other designs too. They are great Hugo, really, no offense. All our optimisations we do here lead to better results, but the biggest change I experienced so far was going from linear to circular polarized antennas. This is IMHO a must for anyone trying to do FPV on 5.8Ghz (which is what this thread is about). The difference between a FINE TUNED CL or SPW and a virevent and your other designs is subject to ongoing tests I'm performing whenever possible.

My admitedly so far only quick and dirty comparison tests revealed that the difference in performance among those CP antennas - provided they are really made well and fine tuned - is not THAT big that it would justify the bigger building efforts. Those are my prelimenary findings, and I intentionally tried to stay vague in my previous post because I really truly in depth test all those antennas. These tests - as you may know from personal experience - take a lot of time. Rest assured that I for myself will go to the bottom of all this, doing whatever it takes.

I may should not have said anything at this still early point in time as I haven't come to a final conclusion, so I'm sorry for this. However, someone starting with FPV on 5.8Ghz like the poster to which I replied can't go wrong with omni directional CP antennas no matter if he opt's for a CL/SPW pair or your antennas.

Markus
Aug 30, 2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
These tests - as you may know from personal experience - takes a lot of times
Yes, it been 6 months of almost everyday testing/simulating and I'm still perfecting the design. Also, some new stuff is born from that work that will be released later this year.

Keep us posted Markus.

-Hugo

Quick Reply