This thread is privately moderated by G_T, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 07, 2011, 06:38 PM
Is my CG correct?
You just opened up a whole new world of hate Nice and complicated set ups!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2011, 11:56 PM
I am setting up my first DLG I am having a lot of trouble. I have a futaba 6exp it has mixing and I have the receiver set up right. My problem is I am trying to use set it up so that i can use the throttle and i cant figure out how. I have the flaperons set up right the rudder and elevator and the rudder to flaps mixed right but I cant figure out how to set the flaps up to brake or a thermal setting. I dont know if anyone has any pointers of something i might obviously be overlooking. I know its not easy to help someone in this department on here
Aug 12, 2011, 01:36 AM
BVM & JR/DFA Rep
Great read.

Coming from over 30 years of precision aerobatics, I can tell you that most people when they say an airplane flies great, really mean the airplane is setup really well. There aren't a lot of bad airplanes out there anymore, but a great airplane, setup poorly will suck compared to a mediocre airplane setup well.

I've just taken the plunge on DLG stuff personally, but can't wait to get my 1st airplane built and flying.
Aug 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
Welcome Dcronkhite to the addiction that is building, trimming and flying DLG's. I have lots of planes but seem to fly my DLG most of the time. If I could only fly one type of plane for the rest of my life it would without question be a DLG. They are not inexpensive but the fun quotient for the money spent is high. Also they give you a pretty good workout as well as the enjoyment of hunting and finding thermals.

I certainly agree with your comment about setup and Gerald has done us all a favour in spelling out a very good starting point to get the glider setup to fly well. Of course, we all like to adjust the setup for our individual flying styles but you only have to tweak a bit from his proven base.
Aug 23, 2011, 02:54 AM
No splinters=Good landing
I'm finishing up my very first DLG; the Topsky Super Mini. I have a couple of questions and will probably have more when I start to set this thing up which will hopefully be this weekend:
  1. How much throw should I see on the flap function of my flaperons?
  2. What does launch mode look like? speed mode camber setting with a few up clicks of elevator?
  3. I assume flying around flaps are up so your are normally flying your rudder stick all the way up.
  4. If I'm understanding correctly, I will probably end up with an elevator to camber mix that gradually increases (down) with increased flaps until a certain point, then elevator throw (down) will actually reduce with increased flaps?

Like I said, I am completely new to this, so I'm trying to get a feel of what a typical flight might look like. Launch in l"aunch mode" which is close to speed mode? Then kick her over at the top of the launch and go into cruise mode for thermal flying? Then float mode during approach to landing? Then adding more flaps as necessary to facilitate a nice landing?

Any guidance would be a great help. Like I said, I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the coming days. I started out flying sailplanes when I was a kid (Gentle Lady, and Aquilla in the late 70's), and now after flying helis for several years, I'm getting back into sailplanes with DLG's. I'm assuming I'm going to like it. I'm looking for low-stress flying to partner with the high-stress of helis

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

David
Aug 25, 2011, 03:46 AM
Anyone ???
Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Your questions are good ones; it is just that it is almost the subject for a whole different thread! Likely people are trying to figure out how to respond. But in general, your conception of a basic flight is correct. The only real error is for the flap->elevator compensation mix (I write it this way so that there can be no confusion about which is the master control and which the slave). In the upper end of the flap travel range, the rate of compensation is higher than in the lower end of the flap travel range.

FWIW, total flap travel is a matter of flying style and taste. You don't need more than 45 degrees down for a DLG, but you want at least 30. The more travel you have, the more braking action you can generate with the flaps. That means you can come in steeper on the approach and wait longer before slowing down. But, the more total travel, the sloppier the linkage would end up, assuming you are using the full range of travel of the servo to get the desired travel.

Gerald
Aug 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks Gerald. That will get me started. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the posts to a couple questions. You know how it is when you first get into something. I know so little that it's difficult to even write questions that make sense. I'm installing radio equip now, so hopefully I'll be flying this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

David
Aug 26, 2011, 07:16 PM
Chesty
Hey guys,

I totally suck at programming my JR X-378 radio to this method - It's a huge thing I'm going to ask but I'm at my whits end - Could someone please go through each of the steps in this guide and refer me to each section of the manual --> http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...412-manual.pdf

As I said, I know it's a huge ask but naybe someone has a spare hour to go thru this with me ? Thanks for any replies
Aug 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
Is there any place I can go to read about proper DLG throw technique? I find my throw ends up with the plane in a steep left bank.

David
Aug 29, 2011, 04:47 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnzoo3
Is there any place I can go to read about proper DLG throw technique? I find my throw ends up with the plane in a steep left bank.

David

Search for launch videos.
Aug 29, 2011, 05:32 PM
John Foltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnzoo3
  1. What does launch mode look like? speed mode camber setting with a few up clicks of elevator?
Most people also need some right rudder preset in launch mode, so the plane goes straight and isn't hooked to the left by the throwing motion (by a right-hander).
Last edited by jfflyer; Aug 29, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Aug 29, 2011, 05:34 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Ummm, no, not really (presume you mean right rudder not right elevator). Generally that roll is a result of hooking the launch (letting go a little late), or of an insufficiently rigid rudder servo and linkage. It may also possibly be caused by building a plane with too much dihedral causing excessive yaw->roll coupling.

Gerald
Aug 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
John Foltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T
Ummm, no, not really (presume you mean right rudder not right elevator). Generally that roll is a result of hooking the launch (letting go a little late), or of an insufficiently rigid rudder servo and linkage. It may also possibly be caused by building a plane with too much dihedral causing excessive yaw->roll coupling.

Gerald
I'm sure you're right about the causes, but I bet half the guys who read this thread use some rudder preset on launch.
Aug 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
What rudder. Who needs those. LOL

Quick Reply