This thread is privately moderated by G_T, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 18, 2011, 09:56 AM
Walter Roos

Dual Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T
Not having varying or changeable rates is simpler to learn.

Our planes really don't have a wide speed range, so there isn't even that justification for rate changes.

Gerald
I use dual rates.
The low rates are for normal flying and competition.
The high rates are for Aerobatics (showing my ass) , for killing my DLGs, and scaring the hell out of me, and everybody else at the field.
I'm really trying to cut back on that kind of stuff, especially with my #1 & #2 DLGs.

BTW Gerald,
Thanks so much for reposting your setup, etc. stuff. I was in the process of (again) copying those two original posts yesterday when my Laser Printer finally gave it's last full measure of toner. Drilling holes and refilling that this hour.

Thanks again,

walt

PS
I do sometimes use the high rates on ailerons to roll my plane back upright when launching straight over my head going downwind. Almost ever time I do that, I forget to flip the switch back to normal low rates and suffer from overcontrol, so lately I'm mostly doing a normal (?) "Turn-n-Burn" by hooking the DLG to my left.

One other thing though. I have been using all the down elevator I could get, for the launch pushover, but have decided that that may be getting me in trouble on my usual problem with coming back from downwind in windy/turbulent conditions. I have therefor, reduced the down elevator throw by half to prevent over control and now pushover with a bit more speed.

OH ! One more one other thing , I've been meaning to tighten up those control sticks, ever since I first heard about doing that (several years ago).
So, tonight's the night, for sure.

now on to cutting into my toner cartridge to refill
Last edited by ROOSWH; May 18, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2011, 01:22 PM
Blind Hawk
Tons of great info, this thread should be a sticky
May 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Walt,

When you tighten the sticks (to the max), you should find that the over control issues go away. Good luck!

Gerald
May 18, 2011, 09:01 PM
Kyle Clayton
Walt, what radio are you using nowadays? I fly a futaba and what I do for roll-over is in my launch mode only I have 10% more aileron travel. Makes turn and burns real snappy, when the mode goes off, back to normal rates. Might be worth a shot if you can program it into your radio.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
May 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
It's a mere flesh wound!
After all this talk about control stick tension, I compared the stick tension on my new SD-10G with the tension on the Vision transmitter that I have been flying HLGs with for the last 20 years. Compared to the Vision, the sticks on the SD-10G felt really mushy. Maybe that is why my flying with the SD-10G has been more erratic than when I fly with my Vision.

Tonight, I changed the springs on the control sticks of my SD-10G to the stronger springs that are included with the transmitter, and now the sticks feel even better than the ones on my Vision!

Now, I can't wait to get out and fly with my new stick tension!

Thanks, Gerald...I should have done this a long time ago!!!

Buddy
May 19, 2011, 07:09 AM
Another vote for heavy stick tension and no expo... changed my life
Dave
May 19, 2011, 08:02 AM
Walter Roos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
Walt, what radio are you using nowadays? I fly a futaba and what I do for roll-over is in my launch mode only I have 10% more aileron travel. Makes turn and burns real snappy, when the mode goes off, back to normal rates. Might be worth a shot if you can program it into your radio.
I could probably do that with my transmitter Kyle, but I release my launch button about half way up during the launch, so by the time I needed to roll out from inverted, I would be in speed mode.

Also, seems like most times rolling over at the top to go downwind ends up losing altitude over a good hooking turn and burn. Once in a while though it works incredibly well. Since I can't depend on the result, I'm going to stop using it in competition untill I can get consistent results.

In a small contest this last weekend I tried the over the top thing once and I probably gave up 30 ft at the top, then could not get out to the tree line
Some of the west coast guys do the roll while going up on launch, then it's an easy push over right side up at the top to straight downwind. Paul Anderson and Jun come to mind.

walt
Last edited by ROOSWH; May 22, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
May 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Walter Roos
BTW,

To go over the top, to go downwind, I usually add about 5 clicks extra of up trim into launch. Well that seems to be tearing up my DLGs on launch lately due to the added forces during the pull up. In the last month alone I've Delaminated a new GT wing, broken loose the boom from it's nubb on the pod of my Predator several times and today split the boom just behind the Nubb and kevlar wrap. Plus the several folded wings in March/April. Either I must quit adding the extra up for vertical launches, Stop throwing hard as I can, or get me a Gavin proof DLG.

walt
May 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
excelling at mediocrity
...nevermind
Last edited by JONKE; May 23, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
May 29, 2011, 04:02 PM
I line up to the queue to thanks G.T. for the tutorial.
I gather all three parts and some more stuff in a Word and PDF document. Some text formatting were done for those of us who wish to have all the info in one piece and/or to print it easier (I do wish!).
Should the author disagree this initiative, feel free to delete the files and apologise...
May 30, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks V! Perfect timing for my new DLG...you saved me a lot of hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valteras
I line up to the queue to thanks G.T. for the tutorial.
I gather all three parts and some more stuff in a Word and PDF document. Some text formatting were done for those of us who wish to have all the info in one piece and/or to print it easier (I do wish!).
Should the author disagree this initiative, feel free to delete the files and apologise...
Jun 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hi Gerald/guys, I would like you to comment on a setup question. My friend has a repaired plane that is now significantly heavier than stock and he is finding that he has to put quite a bit of camber in cruise mode in order to fly at a reasonable speed. I thought that he should use less camber and slow the plane with more up elevator . Which do you think is more efficient?

I guess that the same situation would apply when flying with ballast. Do you change the camber when flying with ballast, retrim the elevator or perhaps just fly at the faster speed?
Jun 07, 2011, 02:03 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Camber setting is related to the lift coefficient the wing is being required to fly at.

Flying slower or flying heavier or flying in a bank (higher G loading) means the wing has to fly at a higher lift coefficient. If it needs to fly at a higher lift coefficient, then fly with a little more camber to keep it closer to optimal.

Alternatively, if one instead flies faster or lighter then a lower lift coefficient is required. This means one should fly at a little less camber to keep the wing closer to optimal.

So, one can trade off the heavier weight with a little more airspeed, and keep the wing near optimal without changing camber. This is essentially what we do when adding ballast.

The greater the camber setting, the less forgiving the plane will be of being flown at the wrong speeds, but the lower the sink rate. This is only true to a point; one can easily go too far.

In the case you mention, I'd likely add a hair's breadth more camber and fly very slightly faster.

Gerald
Jun 08, 2011, 11:19 AM
Gerald, thanks for your response and I'll pass it along to my friend.

Also I did increase the spring tension on my JR9303 and it reduced the cross control on the right stick somewhat. I was thinking of trying an even stronger spring but I do not know where to buy stiffer springs - any suggestions?

Dave
Last edited by djcb; Jun 08, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Jun 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
David Eddy (Dave from CT)

Dx7 Stick Tension

Found the manual online and the answer therein. All set!

Dave in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes
Another vote for heavy stick tension and no expo... changed my life
Dave
Last edited by thistle2311; Jun 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Found answer to my question

Quick Reply