was geht , müssen unten kommen
how shoul i make the belly pan for the 380
whilst your on the topic ????
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2011, 05:10 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
You really should buy the Book "Building with Foam."
There are several ways to complete your project.
I wrote the book so I wouldn't have to type this stuff over and over.
I've been to your build thread, if you would post more photos I might have some suggestions.

The book is on the website.
www.parkflyerplastics.com
Jun 01, 2011, 07:13 PM
USAF Retired
Sparks,
I just ordered the plans and plastics...I see above you ordered from hobbycity...can you list the motor and esc you ordered. I figure I'll order the same...I definitely trust your judgement!

I'm looking at my osprey korean war aces book right now...got to have some nose art...
Thanks,

Dennis
Jun 02, 2011, 04:30 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
ok ill withdraw some money from the bank of mum
Jun 02, 2011, 07:09 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
So you are going to hold my hands to the fire

This is the motor I used
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5428
It's not as light or as hot as the one on post #49, If I build another I think I would like to try it.
Who knows loops might be easy with it.

Servos
This is the servos I used.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=663
The prototype had those little "bluebird" servos in it, at about 1/3 smaller it still gave me flight control.
I believe you could go smaller but this was the smallest could find in stock.

Receiver
Here is the receiver I used.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=663
They have one lighter but it was out of stock so I went with the heavier one.
Here it is.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11972
It has the range we need and does not have the plastic box

ESC.
This is the ESC but they are unreliable.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14870
if you try to pull 10 amps from it, it will make the motor chatter or shutdown.
I had to go with an 15 amp ESC to get 10 out of them, if you pull more you may need a 20 amp, I guess you get what you pay for.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6456
Jun 02, 2011, 09:04 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Test stand

Since we are on the motor, I went looking for and found my test run stuff.
First shot is the specs on the HK motor.
Next shot is the prop test results.
The last is the "test bench"
I know static thrust is not a good example of flight thrust because the prop is not unloaded.
It did give me a good baseline for comparison in case I decide to go with a two blade prop.
The best reason to remove the "E" clip from the back of the motor shown several steps ago.
Jun 02, 2011, 03:27 PM
Sparks,
I am confused about the wax part for the wing. What wax do you use? Also is it applied like a glue? Sorry, first time scratch build so trying to get it right.
Jun 02, 2011, 04:09 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Good question.

When I don't want two parts to bond coat it with wax.
Wax is cheap, and totally safe to use not to mention it is foam safe too.
I use the stuff toilets are sealed with. It comes in the shape of a ring for under $3 and slightly higher than $1 if you get the one without the rubber piece inside.

It is very soft and melts to a fluid quickly with the help of a hair blow drier. (that's how I get it in my storage can.)
it's almost like soft spread margarine and easy to apply with a finger.
The cool part about using wax as a mold release is NOTHING will stick to it.
The down side is you don't want to handle the model with it on your fingers because paint won't stick either.

You will find this wax to be very handy to have around the shop and when you consider the price.

Glad you asked.
Jun 02, 2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I now understand why you are putting the wax on the two pieces of on the wing. I'm going to start tonight now that my depron showed up. I ordered mine from grayson hobby there prices were good and it was much less to ship cost me 14 dollars for 2 boxes. When I ordered from rcfoam they wanted 40 dollars to ship the depron

Matt
Jun 02, 2011, 06:47 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Wow $40 bucks, must be something wrong with their website.
My site screws up sometimes but after investigation I normally find I Plugged in the wrong weight for the shipping calculations.

Link to their foam.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...7ab87a3fc7be0f
Jun 04, 2011, 03:38 PM

Started on the Saber

Ok everyone started putting together the saber got the first part done, was easy just had to make the tape long enough on both sides to make the butt end joint stay together.
Jun 05, 2011, 10:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Looking good, the long strips will bring the butt going together better than short ones.
You are off to a good start with a nice round foam tube.

In the video I mentioned a trick I learned by the fourth fuselage.
What I was after was a round tube to start with and kept getting sort of a tear drop shape.
Longer clamping tape helped a bunch and when you bring the ends together the roundness gets even better.
The trick is to push the joint beyond the round shape a bit so when it springs back it is round. This push point is just behind the place you are clamping.
be careful not to overdo it though, it's already under stress.

In the end it really did not matter much anyway because I used another piece to complete the belly.
Jun 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
Sparks,
Everything turned out good. It really has a nice round shape to it once i slide the nose cone onto the tube. I will post a pic later. A tip for the tail section is I slid a rubber band over the tube and that drew the slits together nicely, just like the cone does for the nose. It helped me a bunch since i was working solo.

Onto the wing tomorrow. Cheers,

Matt
Last edited by MPS86; Jun 06, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Jun 05, 2011, 11:52 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

glue question

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie4life
Ok everyone started putting together the saber got the first part done, was easy just had to make the tape long enough on both sides to make the butt end joint stay together.
Hi Matt.
i had a question about what glue brand or type are you using for this project.
Everything i have used in the past is for wood but the thin sheet foam is a different animal for me.
I have all the electric bits and pieces for this project now and I'm just waiting for USMail to deliver the parkflyer.com plans+plastics

Thanks in advance, john s.
Jun 06, 2011, 05:26 AM
John,
I am just using gorilla glue the clear kind. I picked mine up at the grocery store believe it or not. You just have to watch it when you are gluing like sparky says because it will foam and leave it on the surface. Good luck!

Matt
Last edited by MPS86; Jun 06, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply