May 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
well?
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2011, 06:57 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Smith, The question about other motors was intended for those that have tried something different.
I released the plans about two weeks ago so I don't think we can expect an answer for a while.
Any other motors brought up now would be pure speculation but if you know a hot little motor that can flip a 5 inch prop fast we may as well list it.

As far as I know an in runner would do good too but I have to caution about the weight.
May 29, 2011, 08:08 PM
Sparky, I am going to install a EMAX CF2805 from value hobby, they are only 7 bucks and it has a kv of 2800. I am not sure if I am going to run a three blade or not. Will repost to let everyone know how it goes.

Matt
May 29, 2011, 08:29 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Thanks Matt!

This looks like a good pick, plenty of rpm and can take 14 amps also can turn a larger prop. Weight: 0.9oz (25g). Lighter weight than mine as well. My motor pick . . . . 37G

http://superflyrc.3dcartstores.com/E...tors_p_21.html $14

http://www.hobby-wing.com/emax-cf280...ess-motor.html $12

http://stores.servosandstuff.com/-st...ess/Detail.bok $21 but comes with a stick mount.

http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/...roductItem=795 what is with websites that don't show prices?

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_details.php?item_id=1 $6
May 30, 2011, 07:52 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
i meant about the A380
May 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

oh no, here i go again....

subscribed, but this project should have less than usual impact on my wallet
May 31, 2011, 11:41 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Exactly!

This is a hobby project, you will have more time than money in the plane when it is done as it should be.
For me it's about sipping a good drink, listening to the radio and enjoying the hobby.

I haven't been keeping a real total but I did get the receivers, ESC's, motors and servos for $67 for all four models. (paint, foam, hardware not included.)
They did come from Hobby King though.
I know, I know . . . . . Boo, Boo , Hiss
In my defense I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible. The majority of my projects have equipment bought in the US.
(notice I didn't say made in the US.)
May 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

plans in motion for these fattie's

I haven't been this enthused for awhile, this will push me to finish my Steven's Aero Edge540 build so i can start in on the these little porkers
in a couple weeks.....

Foam, plans, props, and plastics ordered today.
micro servo's and maybe motors from headsuprc tommorow...

js
Jun 01, 2011, 11:50 AM
Sparks,
Do you think FFF will work or maybe $tree foam?
I have plenty of FFF but and a $tree nearby
Thanks, Dave
Jun 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I think you can replace the 6mm material with fan fold and be fine.
All the foam at $tree tends to have waves in it. and I think it's thicker.
If you think you can curl it to a 5 inch diameter I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Your weight would only be slightly more and the butt joints at the ends would be better due to the extra thickness.
Since the nosecones have a tapered fit they should work as well, just not go on the model as far.
Jun 01, 2011, 03:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

saddle mount or fuselage fit.

Place the wing saddle pattern on the center line and in-between the wing marks on the fuselage. LE & TE
Use a pencil to leave faint dents in the foam as marks and cut the foam away.
Be careful when cutting the four corners and don't slip with the knife. The tube is still under pressure and it cuts very easy.

Place the fuselage on the wing and use the pencil and a 3mm strip to copy the actual curve of The wing to the fuselage and cut the mark.

Note the mig pattern cuts deeper into the fuselage.
Jun 01, 2011, 04:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Final Fit

Fit the fuselage to the wing with the prop installed and check the prop clearance all the way around the tube. Note the bottom blade in the photo.
The pattern has been faulted on purpose so the prop will be close to the bottom to allow for adjustment.
Slide sandpaper with the smooth side against the wing to lower the fuselage and center the prop.
Bond the fuselage to the wing and double check the prop clearance.

This step is where you should really babysit the bond.
What I mean is; when the glue foams up, knock it down with a Q tip or something soft and round. Keep an eye on it about every 10 min or so for an hour. Don't let it trick you into thinking it's finished. Seems like when you turn your back , POW a big foam ball appears.

Almost forgot, The plate you see in the back of the plane is for the mig, I'll cover that soon.
Jun 01, 2011, 04:08 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Aileron clearance.

The MIG will require pins in the wing to hold the fuselage sides away from the ailerons while the glue dries.
Jun 01, 2011, 04:13 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Fitting the belly pan.

You can try to reuse the portion you removed earlier but I was going for less seams.
there should be a rolled piece large enough from the fuselage tube cut to apply to the belly pan.
I used tape to attach the belly pan edge at the fuselage front and removed foam from the back until the pan matched the aft fuselage edge.
With both ends taped in place, I used the sandpaper trick (from post 57) to make the skin match the wing surface until the belly skin touched the fuselage skin.
On the sides . . A razor was used to cut both the belly pan and the fuselage skin at the same time for a perfect fit.

Hard to put this step in words so f I lost any one let me know.
Jun 01, 2011, 04:17 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Mig Belly

With a larger belly pan the MIG will need pins to hold the skin inward while the glue dries.

Quick Reply