May 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Just ordered enough 850 three cells from HobbyPartz.com to get them all in the air at the same time, Now if the wind would just die down.
I'll let you know how they work out.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2011, 05:24 PM

got mine today

i am excited to do this one.
May 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Doug, Just a quick reminder that the MIG has not flown to date.
There is no reason that it will not.
Since it is a mid wing the CG sits lower, should make it more stable and the tail is up in clean air for better pitch control at low speeds.
On the down side there is more " junk" inside the tube.
(Larger battery box) and the tube tapers a bit more to make it a MIG.
Only a matter of days befor I know for sure. . . . .Darn wind!

Just being up front with it all.
May 26, 2011, 09:16 PM
Got mine today. Just have to wait for the depron now. How do you guys transfer the plans to the poster board? Do you cut out the template first from the plans and then put them to the poster board? Thanks for the help look forward to the build,

Matt
May 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I cut the patterns slightly outside the lines then sprayed the back with spray adhesive then bonded it to the poster board.
You may need another pair of hands to place the fuselage pattern because of the size.
Start in one corner with your help holding the pattern off the table. Rub it down working toward the opposite corner.
I feel silly bringing it up but cut the notches after the pattern is bonded to the poster board.
May 28, 2011, 06:58 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
hey sparks can you help me with my giant 380 project?? please
May 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
This is one amazing Project Sparks Sir!
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
May 28, 2011, 08:38 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
A big 380 sounds challenging and fun too.

I'll post the motor mounts tomorrow then we fit the wing to the fuselage.
May 29, 2011, 06:13 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
9.5ft to be presice
May 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Mounting motors

Before I start you need to know that the photos show a motor mount made with 6mm foam.
After breaking several mounts I have changed the design to reflect the use of balsa. The steps are the same only the material has changed.
I went with a stick mount because it seems to be more universal. Just make sure it is strong.
Later I'll show you the damage a running prop can do to a foam fuselage.
May 29, 2011, 03:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Preparing the motor

I'm using a old slow stick body to mount my motors, you can use a wood stick sanded to 10mm square. Either way it has to be sanded for a good bond.

If you can, remove the "E" clip from the back of the motor so the bell housing can be removed. This makes changing propeller much easier. Not to worry, the magnets will hold it in place.

note: With the clip removed, if the model stops suddnley with the prop sponning the prop will come off and dammage the fuselage skin. (belly landings is not a sudden stop.)
Last edited by sparks; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Clip note
May 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

modifying the prop

Drive a nail in a board 2 5/8 from the edge.
Use the edge of the board to mark the propeller and cut outside the line to remove the tips.
Place the prop back on the nail and rotate it past a sanding belt or disc. This will produce a rounded prop tip and trim them exactly the same way.
Remove any melted plastic and sand a small radius in the leading edge corner of the prop. This will minimize and damage if the prop contacts the foam.
Balance the prop if you can. I used an old motor shaft and the magnet prop balancer.

After flight testing I have found that a two blade prop works much better.
The GWS 1047 (10 x4) prop cut down made them a whole new model.
The photos below have been added to show what it will look like.
The three blade prop will fly the model so I'm leaving the rest of the photos as is.
Last edited by sparks; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: prop change
May 29, 2011, 03:10 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Stick mount Mast

The MIGs wing fits the fuselage much deeper and requires a motor mount mast that is much shorter. It is as simple as cutting a slot on the center line of the wing and installing the mount. Hold the motor in place with tape for now.
With the wing flat on the table you want the prop disc 90 degrees to the work surface.
May 29, 2011, 03:13 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Stick mount mast

The saber has a taller mast and requires "outriggers" to make the mount firm. The problem is we don't know exactly where center is just yet so the mast is bonded in a slot cut in the wing with the motor held in place with tape. When the final position is found during the fuselage fitting step the outriggers will be installed.
To install the outriggers the top is held against the motor mount stick and a piece of sandpaper is dragged under it to cut the exact angle and curve of the wing. Epoxy completes the installation
May 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Motor options

Under development at the start of the thread I went over the motors I used.
The first model flew with a homemade CD rom motor so i have no idea what the KV rating was. It did however have a two blade prop.

I switched to a three blade prop and a tower pro 1300 outrunner . . .not enough power to fly the model in wind. I think it would be enough for indoor flight though.

The model you see flying in the beginning has a 1800 KV outrunner turning the 3 blade prop , the wind? about 5 mph
The motors you see in the last few posts is a 2000 Kv motor
This gives me the opiton to drop down to a smaller pitch or run a two blade prop.
Eithier way I know I have the RPM's to fly the plane out doors.

IF you use a different power system, and it works; please post it so others reading the thread can have more options.

Quick Reply