CR Turbo S construction - RC Groups
Aug 21, 2003, 02:07 PM

CR Turbo S construction

Hello,

Here is a vintage all wood Turbo "S" 52 inch wingeron sloper designed by Charlie Richardson circa 1991. I scratchbuilt the ship from plans and converted it to pitcheron control with linkage similar to VS and Shrike types. I used TraCfoil to generate a set of ribs. All I have left to do is more sanding, covering, and hurling off a tall cliff.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
Lookin' good.

Get that bad boy finished, so we can see some in flight shots.
Aug 21, 2003, 04:17 PM
Nice looking plane! I wish I had the patients and skill to create something like that from scratch. How are you going to cover it?
Aug 21, 2003, 08:11 PM
Brian Holmes
Brian Holmes
Heyyy Tiramisu! finally decided to post a project eh? yours may be done first, but mine will own you on the slope. I predict that your bird will be a heap of balsa and CA flakes when Mine takes its maiden voyage I'll be needin' those plans

Brian H
Aug 21, 2003, 08:26 PM
Free as a bird now.
Looks good Tiramisu. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction you get from completing a scratch building project. We will look forward to seeing it all finished and getting a flight report.

Thermite: You might be surprised that scratch building really isn't that hard. Except for the fact that you have to cut your own parts, it really isn't harder than building a kit.
Aug 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
I'll try it some day.

I just thought it a little daunting, designing and spending a lot of time on a project which may or may not work out.
I certainly hope that one does, it looks great!
Aug 21, 2003, 09:21 PM
Have no fear on scratchbuilding dude..its really easy. I had all the basic shapes cut out in about an hour. All I did on the big shapes was put a sheet of freezer paper over the plans, traced them, transferred to balsa and cut them out with a straightedge and sharp knife. I then plugged all the airfoil/chord data from the plans into TraCfoil and printed out a set of ribs. All I did was cut them out with scissors and paste them onto a sheet of balsa. Took minutes to get all the ribs done. The rest was just following the plans. I doubt I have more then 4-5 straight hours into the project so far. Not a drop of epoxy..all CA so it went together in minutes.

Holmes..give it up dude..your always owned, on and off the slope.
Aug 21, 2003, 09:39 PM
Oh, I see. You had plans already to follow. I guess that wouldn't be too hard. I'll stick to busting foamies for a while before I get into it seriously though. Just built a nice little Nano Floh which is great for keeping in the trunk for when I come across a little slope somewhere. Flies great!
Hope the rest of the project goes well.