May 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Will my BEC still work if I blow my ESC?

I would like to know what happens if I blow my ESC by proping a system to heavily, in other words over amping and blowing the ESC

Will the BEC still work? Will it still provide power to my servos so I can safely fly my plane home?

I realize the answer might depend on brand name, etc, so here are a few specifics: I fly mainly electric powered gliders where I am pushing the upper limits of some of my ESC's. I am running Brushless motors and have a variety of high quality Castle Creations ESCs as well as some other brands ranging all the way to the cheaper priced ones from Hobby King

My main concern is that if I do blow a ESC, will I be able to bring my glider home using the power from the main battery via the BEC?

I suspect this topic may have been addressed before, but I am unable to locate it within RC Groups, perhaps I am searching for the wrong keywords

thanks

Jumpin Joe
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
characters welcome!
The FETS and the BEC chip are two fairly separate parts of the whole. If you toast a few FETS that run the motor side of the ESC there is a good chance that the BEC chip may survive and get you home. If the whole thing goes critical, not so much.

YMMV of course.

mw
May 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Its possible, but from what I have seen its not likely.
May 17, 2011, 02:50 AM
As you probably realise, if you use a separate stand-alone BEC you're almost guaranteed to have power to your radio whatever happens to the ESC.

Quick Reply