May 16, 2011, 03:07 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Discussion

Radars

From what I know about there is the following and good for speeds up to:

Gun, Max Speed, Price, From, notes

- Prospeed , 310mph ,

- Stalker pro II , 800mph, $1,195, stalkerradar.com , Good all round but hard to get consistent laps at higher speed

- Bushnell..... Just don't...

- Falcon DS, 575mph, $1,395, http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Radar_Guns_s/44.htm, Good all round but hard to get consistent laps at higher speeds

- Pocket radar , 375mph , $199 Pocketradar.com , Small size makes it hard to aim and pick up models

Please correct me on all that is wrong and help me fill in blanks, and maybe suggest where to get each from? Also please suggest others that are out there and are known to work well for DS speed measurement.

Want to make a thread useful for those looking at buying a radar (including myself) Want to include as much info as possible including reliability etc

I'll update this post as new info is suggested.

Alex
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; May 17, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Just Fly it

The Real capacity of the Gun

Im not so impressed with the claim number on the gun. What makes a gun useful to us is how well it actually captures the speed of the plane. One gun really stands out and yet still misses a few passes. So there is room for improvement especially as the capture window is so small. Im sure most of the guns would come through at their claimed speeds for the fast large objects coming straight at you.
May 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Where is the inspiration
I thought the pocket radar was only good to 275. I found that due to the size it is not as easy to point as a pistol grip. but nice and small fits in a pocket.

Bushnell is just rubish. You have to be too dangerous to get a reading.
May 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Falcon DS is available from Skip Miller for $1,395:
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Falc.../falcon_ds.htm

Stalker Pro II is available from Stalker Radar for $1,195:
http://www.stalkerradar.com/proii/index.html

Falcon DS rated to 575mph
Stalker Pro II rated to 800mph

Both guns seem to have their moments of good and bad when the speeds get high.

Spencer
May 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeighton
I thought the pocket radar was only good to 275. I found that due to the size it is not as easy to point as a pistol grip. but nice and small fits in a pocket.

Bushnell is just rubish. You have to be too dangerous to get a reading.
I picked up a 296mph lap last weekend and it matched up with a Falcon DS gun. I still have not picked up any laps over 300, who knows if we ever will.

Mike
May 16, 2011, 06:47 PM
It's rated to 375mph per their spec sheet.
http://pocketradar.com/spec-sheet.html

But as we've seen with the Falcon DS and Stalker Pro II, top speed rating
and what they can really pick up consistently are two very different things.

ian
May 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
It's rated to 375mph per their spec sheet.
http://pocketradar.com/spec-sheet.html

But as we've seen with the Falcon DS and Stalker Pro II, top speed rating
and what they can really pick up consistently are two very different things.

ian
For sure, the pocket radar is okay for slower readings and up close.

Mike
May 16, 2011, 08:44 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
The original Stalker Pro is good to 308 but expensive in comparison these days
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
May 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
I hate propellors
It seems that pointing in the right direction for long enough to get a reading is the main issue. Because the radars are used for vehicles and for sports measuring where there are multiple targets is suspect that they are designed to have a very narrow point of focus. In other threads the use of reflectors on the plane has been suggested but is suspect that this would run into the small focus problem. Recently while recording fron noises I used a microphone with a parabolic reflector which amplified the sound and seemed to broaded the field of view. I don't have a radar so I can try this but would love someon to
Mount a radar in a parabolic dish. A small sat dish would do. The unit would mount facing the dish at its focal point. The aim the dish at the plane. OK it will be heavier and more awkward but if it works we could make a small lighter dish, say 8 inches diameter. Let me know if it works.
May 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
No, when used on vehicles, they always lock onto the fastest moving target.
Their effective FoV is pretty wide. At the distance we're trying to radar planes,
they'd pick up cars from 2-3 lanes wide. As wide as the it is though, they
still have a pretty high gain antenna, that wouldn't work as the focal point of a
dish which would be trying to reflect energy onto the outside of the antenna
bell of the radar gun.

The problem is about low radar return signature.

ian
May 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
I hate propellors
The dish also improves gain. The shape of dish can be modified to change the shape of the areas of maximum sensitivity.

www.radartutorial.eu/06.antennas/an10.en.html

I think it is worth a try
May 17, 2011, 01:32 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Edited the list a little.

Just tell me what to put there guys, as i know next to nothing about radars etc and collectively you guys know pretty much it all.

I'm just wanting to buy a radar for here and trying to decide which one. I think i may get a pocket radar mostly for the foamies and the local newbies. Also it's cheap at $199.

But i do want to try get my D60 when it arrives to 300...

I think the radar we have used here in the past is a SportsPro???? Something like that. Anyone got any info on one of those? not sure who has the gun here in Christchurch anymore..
May 17, 2011, 02:31 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Also Just noticed that this Info already exists pretty much on RC Speeds, sorry Daboz
May 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
That's ok Alex....

http://rcspeeds.com/radarguns.aspx (I’ve been adding to it lately,,, AND I know I suck at writing, (please correct me), never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, ha a aah ) I'm reading and hoping to get more out of this thread. I’ll be happy to add any information that will help us and others understand our radar needs.

I'm surprised that know one wants to try emufingers suggestion. I think it's a good idea wish I had a gun. Radar guns are basically designed to pick up cars and broadcast their energy in a wide beam so the can track a few cars and return the speediest culprit. If we could somehow focus that energy to narrower band and aim it better perhaps we could get a stronger reflection or return. I have a feeling that because of the broadcast beam we would probably have to have a specifically shaped parabolic dish or reflector. Perhaps a wider flat dish?

I don’t have a radar gun, but I think a good gun to test would be the pocket radar. It’s so small and probably already has a weaker signal. Image putting something like a small tuning fork at a distance where the forks vibration velocity is just barley picked up and then moving the fork further away to where the gun doesn’t pick it up. Keeping all things the same, fix the gun and the fork and try different types of reflectors. What could be cool is a reflector that could change shape, say flexible Mylar covering one end of a pressure vessel like a cylinder where one could change the pressure in the vessel. Kind of fun for the nerdy-ness within many of us RC guys. Maybe even cut out some quick cardboard ribs to get more of a parabola.

Interesting idea all the same…

Chris
May 17, 2011, 10:13 AM

ALex

your link to SkipMillers Falcon page is broken.

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Radar_Guns_s/44.htm

Please ignore the part where he tells you that the World Record Speed of 468mph was picked up with a Falcon DS.

I was the one who picked up 468mph for that plane and I used the Stalker Pro II.

Chris

Quick Reply