Aug 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
It would require the right field, but if you used your small gear drive winch to pull a pulley in the middle of the pull line instead using it to pull the winch line to the plane, it could pull as hard as a conventional winch.

Basically you would use you winch instead of the two tow men. (As I understand how two men towing works.)

As I see it, the setup would work like this:
The line that will connect to the plane will be fastened to the ground at the far end of the field next to the turn around. The other end will go to the plane. Between the turnaround and the point fastened to the ground would be a pulley with a yoke that your winch would pull. This would double your line speed, but also double your plane line pull tension. (it would work line a block and tackle.) The pulley could ride on a small cart or trolley.

Just me thinking....
Last edited by mdennis; Aug 21, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2011, 12:40 AM
"This would double your line speed, but also double your plane line pull tension."

Sorry, you only get to pick one option. In this case, you get higher line speed with less tension.
Aug 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
You are correct. actually with the way I was envisioning it the plane line speed would double, but the pull tension on the winch would also double. Not good on a lower powered winch.

As Rosanna Rosanna Danna used to say "Never mind"
Aug 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
I have seen contest pilots break new 200 pound line launching a large moldie at full pedal so 200 pounds of pull is probably on the low side for a FLS winch. But a strong hi-start only exerts about 24 pounds at launch so anything over 50 pounds of sustained pull should be more than enough for a sport winch launching system. But hose competition guys will want the power of the FLS or something equivalent.
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 23, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Aug 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
I suspect that there are weak spots in the 200 pound line and that it's more like 100 lbs or something that breaks it.

Quick Reply