RC Lander T-33 build thread - Page 74 - RC Groups
Mar 06, 2013, 09:36 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Yeah I sanded a small area for the test patch, then removed it later.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2013, 07:55 PM
The trailing edges on the wing are .25" thick , the stab/elev. is .1875" = drag. Add that to whats going on in the intake ducting and you can see some steps could be taken to clean up the airframe aerodynamically. I most likely will do some glasswork on the bottom. As far as dings and seams on the upper surface i think i will fill and paint. Are model master paints ok on this foam?
Mar 07, 2013, 09:39 PM
Yep shes a big draggy airframe all right but flies really nice. i think mine tops out around 110-115mph but I didn't buy it as a speed demon and to be honest it looks better flying scale speeds rather than flat out.

I agree the ducting could do with some significant improvements and would probably make a noticable difference to the fan efficiency.

Any acrylic based paint that works on EPS will work on this.

Post some pics of your build when you get a chance.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:53 AM
its TALON TIME!
i thinned out the trailing edges on mine, mostly for looks lol. mine does 115-120 or so, on about 2700W
Mar 08, 2013, 09:33 AM
I'm just trying to extend flying time more so than increasing the top end. If i can cruise at lower power settings it will pay dividends. I think i'm going to order some hysol today for assembly. If i tape pieces together will the paint pull free from the foam?
Acylic paint. So i'll be brushing and wet sanding to remove brush marks. I don't have a spray gun. All my work has been spray can.
CN, so you just sanded the trailing edges? I expect a filler of some kind is needed after sanding. I was considering balsa strips glued on and sanded to shape.
Mar 08, 2013, 07:14 PM
its TALON TIME!
i just sanded them down, though balsa would be desired. ive got 4-5 coats of wbpu to smooth it out.
Mar 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
I have decided that foam just isn't for me. Bungee ops would be out of the question on this model. I have a local buyer picking it up tonight. I will find a home for my Stumax 100 somewhere...
Thanks for the help guys...
Mar 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
If and when they skin this bird or do a full composite i am there...
Mar 16, 2013, 12:18 PM
Capt. Z
Dude your missing out. Mine is a stock foam airframe on 2400 watts and I fly for 5 minuets and was radared at 118 on a flat pass. It's a great speed for this type of plane. I have been flying mine for two years now and have over 125 flights on it and it's a blast!!!

1.) The plane is barrel of fun to fly bone stock.

2.) Your not putting it on a judges table, don't get anal over it. If you get caught up in all the insignificant trivial trailing edges are too thick stuff or if I can gain an extra 30 seconds of flight time you will drive yourself crazy.

3.) Build it, fly it, and have a blast.!!!!

Here is a short video of mine to show how nice this plane can fly.

T-33 (1 min 41 sec)
Mar 16, 2013, 04:53 PM
Capt. Z
Hi Doug,

I took the T-33 out for a couple flights this morning just for YOU

At 1:17 I do a half throttle pass for ya so you can see what the speed of this T-33 is at about half throttle.

Andy

T-33 flight 31613 (2 min 11 sec)
Mar 16, 2013, 05:42 PM
Andy, thanks man... i did sell the jet, but with the idea i might order the plain white version and glass it. But right now i seem to be having a problem motivating myself to do any finishing work. Been this way for a while. Maybe when the weather breaks for good... The vids are sweet!
Last edited by Doug Bateman; Mar 16, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Mar 16, 2013, 09:29 PM
Wow Andy's really a great guy!! Who else would go to all the trouble of getting out their favourite plane and go fly it "just for you" Doug.

Now that's a true friend
Mar 16, 2013, 11:45 PM
Capt. Z
The sacrifices I make
Mar 16, 2013, 11:55 PM
deltas are cool
looking forward to the Falcon and Nut show at Vegas this year
Mar 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
Might try that one on my wife...."Honey a guy REALLY needs me to go fly my T-33 for him...."