May 23, 2011, 08:02 PM
Needs more bacon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins
Nice setup. So Were you using the stock level setup to. where it is set to 14.
Yes, all PID settings are stock. I built my own Multiwii and I had to lower the numbers big time and its using a blue vc20-450 frame. So unless the color has an effect this controller is working better.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
what type of standoffs are you using for the board?
May 23, 2011, 08:09 PM
< 250g FPV
I had a better flight this evening with the following settings. There is no longer a pronounced wobble or bounce on inputs and it's stable in a hover. I still get a very light bounce on hard moves, but its controllable. I tried LEVEL mode again too and it was not wobbling but was also not fighting my inputs very much and has some drift. I need to work on that now, then try mag and baro last.
May 23, 2011, 08:17 PM
Waiting for my Medication

Quad Hover 1 (3 min 17 sec)
May 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Funny thing you should mention standoffs. Quick story here:
I received my QuaRino board a couple of weeks ago and it went out on me withing the first few minutes of use. I worked with Colin on the issue and ended up sending the board back to him. He found a blown diode, replaced it, tested it, and sent it back to me. I just got the board today, mounted it, connected only the Signal line from the ESCs to the motor pins, and powered the board via a BEC connection to the Rx. When I attached my flight battery...nothing. The board didn't lite up, neither did my Rx. I removed the power lead from the Rx to the board, connected the flight battery again and the Rx lite up. Reattached everything, powered up, nothing again. I pulled the board off the standoffs, attached the battery, viola, the board lite up. I did a little more investigation and found a test point very close to the rearmost mount hole. The standoffs I'm using...ALUMINUM! Apparently the standoff was shorting the ground plane of the board and whatever the test point connects to.

To fix, I grabbed some old servo vibration isolators, cut off part of the end piece, installed the rubber isolator between the board and the aluminum standoff. When I attached the flight battery...everything lite up fine and I was able to get some trim and control adjustments in with no problems. Well...almost. I think the same diode blew again as the board won't power up with a Rx battery attached to the motor pins. Colin had sent me some spares, just in case, and it looks like I'll need to use one. That's not a biggy unless you power the board from the motor pins...which I'm not.

So...moral of the story, use either plastic or rubber standoffs OR install some sort of insulator between the board and the standoffs if using metal standoffs.

FWIW (everyone)...have you read how the board reacts to Rx failures? If the board is powered via the motor pins OR the Vin pin and you lose the Rx the board will continue to fly the quad...uncommanded. That could be a safety issue...a flyaway quad. If you power the board via the Rx pins and lose the Rx the quad will quit and drop like a rock. I'd hate see see a crash, but that's a lot safer than a flyaway quad IMHO.
May 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
zyp
zyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
FWIW (everyone)...have you read how the board reacts to Rx failures? If the board is powered via the motor pins OR the Vin pin and you lose the Rx the board will continue to fly the quad...uncommanded. That could be a safety issue...a flyaway quad. If you power the board via the Rx pins and lose the Rx the quad will quit and drop like a rock. I'd hate see see a crash, but that's a lot safer than a flyaway quad IMHO.
That doesn't make sense, unless the receiver somehow stopped providing power to the board when connection is lost. None of the receivers I've seen does that, and there is no reason to do it either.

Unless the circuit is designed specifically for it, the microcontroller has no way of knowing how it is powered. It's either powered or not.

The only difference when the connection is lost is that the receiver stops giving updates to the microcontroller. It's up to the software in the microcontroller to either carry on with the last command, crap out or revert to failsafe values. I have no experience with MWC so I don't know what it does, but whatever it is, it's unrelated to how the board is powered.

I might of course be wrong, but not until I see a schematic telling me I am.
May 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
Needs more bacon!
Quote:
Just using nylon standoffs with no anti-vibration. http://www.multiwiicopter.com/collec...off-15mm-nylon
May 24, 2011, 04:17 AM
witespy,

will you please clean some of your pms, your inbox is full

thanks in advance,
bob
May 24, 2011, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432
witespy,

will you please clean some of your pms, your inbox is full

thanks in advance,
bob
Yep

And when are the next basic boards going out and When are the advanced boards going out
May 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyp
That doesn't make sense, unless the receiver somehow stopped providing power to the board when connection is lost. None of the receivers I've seen does that, and there is no reason to do it either.

Unless the circuit is designed specifically for it, the microcontroller has no way of knowing how it is powered. It's either powered or not.

The only difference when the connection is lost is that the receiver stops giving updates to the microcontroller. It's up to the software in the microcontroller to either carry on with the last command, crap out or revert to failsafe values. I have no experience with MWC so I don't know what it does, but whatever it is, it's unrelated to how the board is powered.

I might of course be wrong, but not until I see a schematic telling me I am.
From the manual...that's the way the failsafe is setup. As long as the board is powered it will try to fly itself if it looses Rx. Powering by the Vin or ESCs could leave power on the board even if the Rx dies. If the power is coming from the Rx to the board and the Rx dies then power to the QuadRino board also dies, so it stops and drops. A total Rx loss is a pretty rare event so not a huge player...and no, I'm not willing to test it to see what it really does...just repeating what the manual says.
May 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
Member FPV UK
Quote:
SNIP
There is some stuff in the 1.7 code to deal with the loss of reciever input and deal with it accoring to some presets defined. Without specifically checking after a defined time period of a loss of reciever input, then the controller should then set what ever throttle has other conditions that have bee preset.

Mike.
May 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
zyp
zyp
Quote:
… If the power is coming from the Rx to the board and the Rx dies then power to the QuadRino board also dies, so it stops and drops. A total Rx loss is a pretty rare event so not a huge player...
On every receiver I've seen, all vcc and gnd pins are just directly connected together, meaning that the input power pin is directly connected to the output power pins, meaning that as long as the receiver have power in, it will provide power out.
May 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi
My advanced board is coming!!! I want to put the board in a flat hexa. Can someone show me how I can connect the signal wires of the escīs to the board pins?
Thanks
Last edited by Ernes; May 24, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
May 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin
Yep

And when are the next basic boards going out and When are the advanced boards going out

Nater,,, I have a AVD board here for you if you wanted to upgrade..

I sent you a message did you get it ??
May 24, 2011, 04:30 PM
Suspended Account
<logs into PayPal>

Okay folks, where do I order?

Cheers,

Sander.

Quick Reply