May 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
I actually have a full fuse version of that glider for catapult launch that didn't work as well as I hoped (the extremes in speed between initial launch and end of glide made it very hard to trim). When I was playing around with ground effect vehicles I didn't have proper RC gear which is why I built them free-flight. I'm now tempted to mount a small motor on one of them.

Keep us posted on your build Nick.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2011, 04:38 AM
What could possibly go wrong?

Constructing the Strakes

This is where I got to this morning, before setting off for work. I'm thinking that the fins and tail will be accident prone. Maybe I'll build them on a plywood sheet that can be unbolted for transport.

I wonder if I'm going to need ailerons. Possibly, the outboard winglets will have a sufficient dihedral effect to keep the roll stability. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Last edited by nickchud; May 20, 2011 at 04:55 AM.
May 21, 2011, 12:04 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Looking good so far Nick. Watching with great interest.
May 21, 2011, 05:21 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
The dog may not be impressed now, but he will become a convert when he sees it go.
Dogs are notoriously conservative when it comes to aerodynamic design.
May 22, 2011, 07:38 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
They are great.
The dog is keeping away from the Starship because it too advanced for his tastes.
He really likes the 'Own design something' because of the retro look.
He's rather stern looking at the crash scene. He liked that plane and disapproves of its treatment.
The Wal has really put a gleam in his eye.
I don't know about the Gladiator. But hey, what's not to like about a Gladiator?
May 22, 2011, 12:15 PM
marijn
i havent hace to respond to u re bixel etc. 1st about reverse CP, it maybe that as lift is centered at 1/4 chord an increase in lift causes the front to rise, decrease to fall. more speed more lift, more rise(pitch up), etc. cambered pitch down with more speed as the wing tries to follow the camber line. the stability comes from the fact that with pitch up comes lots of induced drag which reduces speed, reduces lift which lowers nose. the boxel with more wing area in rear would resist pitch up because of more lift in rear. in fact because CP is about midway the whole wing willl be pushed up instead of the forward part.
the bixel with flat wings needs more speed to make lift to fly so would need more power but if its faster with same power then it is more effecient. bixel said to me that the .5 aspect ratio (total wingspan same as chord) would be fore low speed. this would probably take off easier. i notice the aircat outer wings r almost same span as main wing.
also the outerwings r in an upwash which makes them more effecient
. thanks again for your insights.
david
May 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
David

I don't wish to be unhospitable, in any case you're very welcome on this Flightship thread. As you can see, it's pretty rambling anyway.

You might get a better response to your Bixel questions if you go to the general Ekranoplan Topic.

Best of luck. Your suggestions or contributions on this thread will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick
May 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Lookin pretty cool. did you try test gliding that across the floor like the glider model above?
May 23, 2011, 03:16 AM
Thanks Larry

No I haven't tried gliding it yet, though I have fired up those motors. They give me about 140watts each with 5.5" x 4.5" props, which I think will be plenty.

Here's some progress on the stabilisers.

Beginning to take shape now.
May 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
David

I don't wish to be unhospitable, in any case you're very welcome on this Flightship thread. As you can see, it's pretty rambling anyway.

You might get a better response to your Bixel questions if you go to the general Ekranoplan Topic.

Best of luck. Your suggestions or contributions on this thread will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick
thanks wilco
May 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
Leonard

Subscribing

Outstanding thread!

Leonard
May 23, 2011, 12:35 PM
Haha it's really looking great, nice job. You first said you were worried if the hull was too large, believe me I had the same thing when building my FS-8. Once the tail and floats are added, it suddenly all fits

@Captarmour(David) - I don't know, I don't think the stability of the bixel relies on the fact that it's got a greater surface at the tail. The T-shape also works the other way around, with the outboard wings mounted at the front. Nick is probably right, it's best to discuss this in The General Ekranoplan Thread

Keep up the good work!

Marijn

Quick Reply