May 12, 2011, 03:28 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Build Log

Flightship FS-8

Has anybody built one of these before?

My idea is to build using 6mm Depron, principally. Wingspan 1140mm (45")

Keep it light and simple, power it with 2 little 45gm outrunners I've already got. Prob'bly a 2200 MaHr 3S1P battery. I'm guessing that any smaller battery might result in the need for extra ballast at the front. Ordinary, ailerons, rudders and elevator - no funny business with programmed links between rudder and aileron, till I see what happens. I do, however, have a plan to link the rudders to differential throttle control.

I've been using the 3-view to produce a cutting plan. so, before I cut everything....

Will it be manageable?
What'll happen if I get over-excited and fly out of ground -effect? For instance: will I wish I had a different C/G in that case?

All advice, encouragement, tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!

Nick
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2011, 04:27 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
OK, here is a big bucket of encouragement
I think the model, unlike the real one, will fly above ground-effect (given enough power) and I think it could be made to fly quite OK too.
I'll be watching with interest.
May 12, 2011, 09:49 AM
Registered FFF Addict
I had brought this up a year ago or so and didn't get much interest. Hope you follow through. My first observation is that the main wing has a huge positive incidence. Secondly it looks like the rudder and elevator are kind of small.
Thirdly it doesn't look like it could be made a simple build.

I'll be watching with great interest.
Good luck
May 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
You make good observations Professor Larry, however the huge positive incidence need not be a deal breaker. Guys are always flying at high alpha and loving it, so we know it is doable.
The rudder and elevator, as you so rightly say, are far too small and would need to be made 'normal' size or the thing will be a free-flighter.
When I eyed it off looking for the CG I thought, 'trailing edge of the wing tips' then I saw the circled cross on the cabin top on about the same line, so perhaps that's it, already marked.
May 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just call me crash for short
I would say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It would be shiny to see this thing work like it is designed to.
May 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
Quick, I agree. However there is a thing called 'scale effect' which means the the control surfaces must be made bigger if they are to work.
If you mean 'don't fly it' then it should not be in Boats and not here
The real thing is classed as a boat.
May 12, 2011, 08:40 PM
Just call me crash for short
True enough Whiskers, but it does actually 'fly' and just because it gets a legal classification as one thing don't make it exactly so. We have this thing called government welfare and yet most everyone on it suffers.... Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a shiny plane (flying up high) but sense I haven't seen a 'scratchbuilt foamies ground effects flying' category, I would think that even built as such, this would be the best place for it, as it does more flying than tooling around in the water. Probably spends as much time 'in' the water as a float plane does, just doesn't fly as high. (which in my mind makes it a pant load easier to get back from the tree monster!) Yea, I get the scale effect, and it would be needing a bit bigger rudder surfaces and a full flying elevator sure would seem in line. On a further note, given the motors he has listed, all this discussion could go out the window as he has a good chance of having magnitudes greater thrust to weight ratio as compared to the real thing and might have trouble keeping low enough to keep it in sight.
May 12, 2011, 08:45 PM
Zen in the art of foam
It's a cross between a hover craft and a plane ;-)
May 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
Registered FFF Addict
I don't know, but are you sure the thing flies out of the ground effect? It is designed to fly in the ground effect and all environmental effects change when it leaves the ground effect. Like I said I don't know... I am assuming a lot here.

I guess you were just kidding when you made this statement: "All advice, encouragement, tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!"
May 12, 2011, 09:58 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Whiskers... I agree with you on most things, but it is scratch built and a foamy... I think it qualifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Quick, I agree. However there is a thing called 'scale effect' which means the the control surfaces must be made bigger if they are to work.
If you mean 'don't fly it' then it should not be in Boats and not here
The real thing is classed as a boat.
May 12, 2011, 10:31 PM
Don't get me wrong! I 100% think it should be here.
It's a way cool project, as is the real thing.
I really hope this thing gets built. Then having seen how it goes in ground effect... just a bit more throttle to test the envelope Then a bit more
May 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
Registered FFF Addict
He hasn't been back on for a while... maybe we scared him off?
May 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
I hope not, but if that is the unfortunate case you may have to build a little 8 footer and rip around on those rivers you have there.
May 13, 2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm glad I got you going. All good informative stuff.

The construction will be a bit like the Polaris
Except I'll give the centre section of the wing an airfoil and a spar, reinforced with cf strip to form an "anhedral brace". Makes the geometry a bit complicated, but it should give it plenty of strength and works alright inside my head.

The incidence of the wing is less than 9 deg and the propwash flows right over those control surfaces. As you suggest, I'll make them bigger and I'll take the rudder right down to the waterline.

If it flies out of ground effect, that'll be a bonus. As you say, there's plenty of power. I'm imagining that flying it will be a bit like flying a harrier, so, keep it level with those little ailerons and steer it with the rudders.

Cheers

Nick
May 13, 2011, 02:53 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
the rudders are in prop wash , and may gain thier power to yaw that way .

so larger but a i bet they will need to dial the throws down .

very cool.

Quick Reply