Oct 17, 2001, 12:25 PM
Thread OP

balsa suppliers?

Hello,

I am looking to get a bunch of balsa for some new projects, and was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere I can order from for consistent quality and service? I would like to be able to specify contest grade for some of the sheets.

Online I have found

http://www.nationalbalsa.com/index.html
http://www.lonestar-models.com/ (they offer 1/20" sheets as well as the standard 1/16 and 1/32 which is a plus, but I can always sand...)
http://www.superiorbalsa.com/

The prices seem to be comprable, so any input would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
-e
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2001, 01:12 PM
I haven't mail ordered from Superior, but I have been down to their shop. They had a great selection of balsa, sorted by weight and grade. They were knowledgeable and friendly, and I would have no qualms about recommending them.

Going to a balsa supplier is like being a kid in a candy store.

Pete
Oct 17, 2001, 02:26 PM
I've found SIG to be of consistent quality. when you ask for contest.. that's exactly what they ship.
Oct 17, 2001, 08:40 PM
D.G.B.

balsa ordered

I just put in a order for $38.00 from national balsa on monday.i will let you know how they are on there service.Two things that are a killer is that,they have a $25.00 minumum order and they aren't open to the public! (Because there only 40miles north from me!) stefanP
Oct 17, 2001, 08:48 PM
Acme Powered!

Superior Balsa

Hi I would reccomend Superior in a second I go there at least once a month or so to stock up on balsa and ply. Plus other stuff they have great prices and wood. I have to agree with Fok, kid in a candy store.
Joe
Oct 18, 2001, 01:48 PM
Another good place is Model Airplane Laboratory, Irving, TX. The owner, Edgar Seay, has been cutting balsa for 70+ years. You want .001 thick contest balsa, he has it. He cuts for the discriminating modelers that need good wood.
Oct 18, 2001, 02:18 PM

Re: balsa ordered

Quote:
Originally posted by KOMET 44
I just put in a order for $38.00 from national balsa on monday.i will let you know how they are on there service.Two things that are a killer is that,they have a $25.00 minumum order and they aren't open to the public! (Because there only 40miles north from me!) stefanP
I have used National for some time, and I'm very pleased with them. $25.00 of wood isn't hard to conjure up at my house

They also have other items not in the website, such as hardwood veneers in prices that blow Midwest away. You owe it to yourself to get their printed catalog at least (you'll get one in your order).

Andy
Oct 19, 2001, 08:13 PM
D.G.B.

I'VE GOT "WOOD"!!!!!!!!!!

I just received my shippment of wood from national balsa.AWSOME, A DOUBLE THUMBS UP!!!! I called on monday night and recieved it today by ups(friday)All the wood was stacked and wrapped clear pastic rapp.nice job.stefanP

I guess i have to stop flying and start winter projects early! "Where's Santa?"
Nov 14, 2001, 12:41 PM
Just orderd 50 bux worth of balsa from National. I hope its better than Lone Star (though I did not order contest grade from them, their standard balsa was pretty heavy).

Greg
Nov 14, 2001, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
I finally ordered my stuff from National a couple weeks ago.

The shipping was quick considering the distance, and I got it within a week. Packaging was good, plastic wrapped on top of a foam block to make it fit the box perfectly.

They did miss on a couple points. They were out of 1/64th ply, which is understandable. They sent me 4 trailing edge pieces when I had ordered 2 trailing edge pieces and 2 aileron stock pieces (and they were VERY HEAVY). And a couple pieces of the 1/32 sheet balsa I ordered was torn up a bit by what looks to be the feed roller on a saw or plainer or such.

The overall majority of the order was fine though, and I didn't care enough about the problems to bother them.

-e
Nov 14, 2001, 01:15 PM
Thats good to hear. I ordered mainly 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4, and 1/2 inch sheets along with some sticks. They shouldnt have a problem with out of stock This order should build me two planes. The last order from Lone Star required me to sand vigerously on the 1/16th sheeting to get them lighter. I was used to Sig balsa that I picked out myself, but it was breaking the bank buying it from the hobby store!

Greg
Nov 14, 2001, 09:14 PM
D.G.B.

dOUBLE CHECK YOUR WOOD!!!

Hey guys sorry to mislead you but check all the size's!!!! i ment all of the compliments on the above thread.What i didn't do was to check all the thickness's. i order 1/16 sheathing but after 3/4 of the way covering the wing i realized it was 3/32!! i was pissed but i assumed they new what there doing.etbadger i will agree with the heavy part.some of that 3/32 you can almost mistake it for HARD balsa.the wood is more dence than me.So greg check your WOOD!!! stefanP

Ghost Rider Requesting a Fly By........

Quick Reply