This thread is privately moderated by flyinjrc74, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 11, 2011, 02:19 AM
Fabrication Extraordinaire!
Thread OP
Gallery

The OWL

This is my latest creation and my first scratch built wing. 37" wingspan and 22" in length. It should go like hell with the Eflite Park 400 in-runner putting out 3700kv. The esc is a Eflite 40A Pro and prop is a 5.1X4.5, I plan to use 3S 2200 lipo's but haven't tested on a watt meter as of yet. Finished trimming it tonight and anticipating the first flight.

The frame is 1/2" insulation foam sheeted with 1/16" balsa. I used a arrow shaft as a spar and epoxied it in foam before sheeting. Elevons are 3" and should be very responsive at high or low speeds. More pics and videos to come.

RTF weight is under 1&1/2 lbs!
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2011, 05:16 AM
make>fail>retry>fail>give up

awesome :D

this plane is great ! , can you tell me what material did you use to build this plane and what is its weight ?
May 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Materials and weight is in description.
May 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
tree scavenger

wow, Nice!

dang thats Sweeet! waaay betta than My 1st scratch built wing lol
...any good news yet?
May 15, 2011, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsurfer
dang thats Sweeet! waaay betta than My 1st scratch built wing lol ...any good news yet?
Thanks for the kind words, it is a hoot! lol I am in Sharonville,OH watching it rain right now. Its been rainy and cold in MI too so maybe the sun will shine soon so I can update with pics and a video or two...
May 17, 2011, 03:49 AM
kill your idols
sick!
i really gotta come out your way when im checking this property in mi ex military base its a house on a street called aircobra!

good idea with the arrow shafts havent thought of those for planes but they suit rc airplanes pretty well in guessing, and i dont like cf rods to much
May 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76
sick!
i really gotta come out your way when im checking this property in mi ex military base its a house on a street called aircobra!

good idea with the arrow shafts havent thought of those for planes but they suit rc airplanes pretty well in guessing, and i dont like cf rods to much
The arrow shafts are light and strong. Where is the base? You are welcome here anytime. I plan to take the owl out today or tomorrow and maiden it. I just finished a smaller version of a slow stick with a variable pitch motor and fully symmetrical wing. I will blog it later but it is over powered and can't wait to put them both thru their paces!
May 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
kill your idols
sawyer afb if i remember correctly

it a decommissioned base, chep property very good for rental income due to the schools withing 20 minutes (most will pay for themselves withing 3 years!)

but the names of the streets are what got me aircobra street , liberator ave, all great air force planes!
Sep 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thread OP

"OWL" Sightings!

I sold it but it was spotted by government agents near Niles. Intelligence pics posted!
Dec 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
I miss this Owl, sold it to a friend local. He then sold it to a guy and shipped it. Anyone see this plane at a swap meet or flying at a local club???

Just curious to know if it is still out there....

Quick Reply