Sep 13, 2019, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhorn
I have a new to me but started Electra. There was a packing slip on the box from 2012, so 7yrs old. The servos are all JR, elevators, rudder and ailerons are DS3421, flaps and stearing DS9411. The fan is a EVF 5012 7 blade which I believe is Bobs 12 cell setup. It has the old mechanical retracts and wire struts, which i would like to change. Besides Bobs setup what else is out there. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack to find struts and retracts. The Electron 30 series I think would fit? Any thoughts guys?
I put the BVM e blue electric retracts in mine with Tams trailing link struts. If I was to do it over again I would probably do the mechanical ones to save weight. The e blue are pretty heavy. Otherwise if you are looking for a budget option some of the JP hobby ones might work. I have a set in my Turbinator and the build quality is a top notch.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 02:36 AM
Rico
Quote:
I have a new to me but started Electra. There was a packing slip on the box from 2012, so 7yrs old. The servos are all JR, elevators, rudder and ailerons are DS3421, flaps and stearing DS9411. The fan is a EVF 5012 7 blade which I believe is Bobs 12 cell setup. It has the old mechanical retracts and wire struts, which i would like to change. Besides Bobs setup what else is out there. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack to find struts and retracts. The Electron 30 series I think would fit? Any thoughts guys?
Hey if you want it light go with the mechanical stuff , thats the lightest setup you can get. The blue air is also perfekt and i dont find them heavy at all. The trailing link struts from BVM are unfortunatly discontinued . If you fly from tarmac keep the light setup If you want a nice sound i would upgrade to the 9er rotor.(still nor cheap around 400 bugs) If you dont mind to lfy a little "louder " stck with the 5012 its a perfect setup for the 12 setup.
Electron 30 needs adapter plates you need to manufacture yourself. The disadvantage is they have 4mm steel shafts and you need ot find legs that fit. Electron offers this trailing link struts and Jet1A too. I bought a set but you still need to cut and drill with a machine which sucks if you dont have a machine available. The axles in the struts dont fit the axles BVM has and the other way around the axles on the struts dont fit the BVM wheels. So all in all some kind of messy. I might get something sorted on the Electron retracts and can update you if you want.

regards
Rico
Sep 14, 2019, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
I put the BVM e blue electric retracts in mine with Tams trailing link struts. If I was to do it over again I would probably do the mechanical ones to save weight. The e blue are pretty heavy. Otherwise if you are looking for a budget option some of the JP hobby ones might work. I have a set in my Turbinator and the build quality is a top notch.
Thanks, I will take a look at the JP. If i didnt need to take the wings off I might have left the mechanical in.
I fly from grass and concrete and Im afraid the mechanical wont hold up. I could be completely wrong though??
Sep 14, 2019, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminator
Hey if you want it light go with the mechanical stuff , thats the lightest setup you can get. The blue air is also perfekt and i dont find them heavy at all. The trailing link struts from BVM are unfortunatly discontinued . If you fly from tarmac keep the light setup If you want a nice sound i would upgrade to the 9er rotor.(still nor cheap around 400 bugs) If you dont mind to lfy a little "louder " stck with the 5012 its a perfect setup for the 12 setup.
Electron 30 needs adapter plates you need to manufacture yourself. The disadvantage is they have 4mm steel shafts and you need ot find legs that fit. Electron offers this trailing link struts and Jet1A too. I bought a set but you still need to cut and drill with a machine which sucks if you dont have a machine available. The axles in the struts dont fit the axles BVM has and the other way around the axles on the struts dont fit the BVM wheels. So all in all some kind of messy. I might get something sorted on the Electron retracts and can update you if you want.

regards
Rico
Thanks for the input Rico. I dont mind the 7 blade sound and if i change my mind I could change it out. Your absolutely correct of the Electron gear. I will have to make some adapters to fit shouldnt be to much to do. I couldnt find any struts on Electrons site that would fit. They were all too long or had offset. I fly from grass and pavement and I am afraid the stock springsteel legs will be too much for the airframe. Maybe I am wrong, but i would think a set of trailing link would be better. Please keep me in the loop and let me kno what you find.
Thanks,
Mike
Sep 14, 2019, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Some info for you:
BVM Mechanical Retracts 249.3-362.2grams + linkages (Varables: plastic or metal variants and two or three servos)
BVM E-Blue Retracts 306.9grams
E-Flite 60-120 261.3grams + adapters
On the above options, extension servo wire(s) will be needed.

As you can see, the variables determine which retract is the lightest. Also, the mechanical retract with only two servos is a real pain. The E-Blue retract requires the controller, but works perfectly with servo driven gear doors. I used this with all three of my Electras, but last time I tried to order them, they were not available. E-Flight is a small fraction of the price and very light. It is the most simple to setup, but requires BVM supplied adapters to fit to the wing. I used this on a BVM Maverick. Perfect for a light Electra. A 12S Electra with brakes, flight controller, extra epoxy, unmanaged wires, probably not. I can not speak for the BVM air retracts, but they need a servo, linkage, air tank, valves, and lines. It is hard to believe they would weigh less, but they cost half as much.

About the struts, BVM wire struts work on grass, but you may need to bend them back. For E-Flite retracts they come with free wire struts, but part# eflg520f4u is the nice strut option. I have only ever found two struts as light as a BVM wire struts. TamStruts for the Electra, his second variant in the picture down below is it, for nonwire struts. Everything else is significantly heavier, including his brake and earlier version. As well as all other brands. Tam no longer makes them. A new guy makes Tamstruts now, but he does not have the machine to make them for the Electra. Titanium wire struts are the only other struts lighter. I used them on the Electras and a BVM Ultra Viper. They are very hard to work with. The weight savings is almost all in the front of the jet. No problem for a 12S Electra sporting 4S in between the inlets. 10S Electras my need to get rid of weight in the back.

I added a picture of some of my personal notes involving retracts. Toward the bottom of the picture, if you can figure my notes, your welcome to it.

If you get rid of your mechanical retracts, I may be interested in a buying them, or a trade. Ultra Vipers wings are too narrow for much else. I my use them in there. The guy I bought it from did not package it right. The currier crushed it, so it is missing the pieces I need to assemble the mechanical retracts.

Scott
Last edited by Scottfpv; Sep 18, 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:52 AM
BVM mechanical retracts with 3/16" wire struts have been effective for 25+ years now on grass, concrete or asphalt. If you have to remove the wings for transport, mount a servo in each wing to operate the mechanical units, instead of a single servo operating both units.

BVM AirBlue retracts are state of the art in pneumatics. Combined with JetModelProducts control valves, they are the toughest, most reliable system I've ever run in BVM sportjets. The nosegear retract unit is an engineering triumph. Those of you who use one of these know what I mean.

Electric retracts are heavy and rely on many tiny parts making contact every time. At the field, it is those guys who are experiencing failures far more often than the pneumatics and mechanicals do.

Trailing link struts are a good option if you are making carrier landings ...
Last edited by Fanflyer; Sep 14, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfpv
Some info for you:
BVM Mechanical Retracts 249.3-362.2grams + linkages (Varables: plastic or metal variants and two or three servos)
BVM E-Blue Retracts 289.6-306.9grams(Variables: New variant doesnít require onboard Xicoy controller.)
E-Flite 60-120 261.3grams + adapters
On the above options, extension servo wire(s) will be needed.

As you can see, the variables determine which retract is the lightest. Also, the mechanical retract with only two servos is a real pain. The older E-Blue retract that required the controller adds wight, but works perfectly with servo driven gear doors. I used this with all three of my Electras, but last time I tried to order them, they were not available. E-Flight is a small fraction of the price and very light. It is the most simple to setup, but requires BVM supplied adapters to fit to the wing. I used this on a BVM Maverick. Perfect for a light Electra. A 12S Electra with brakes, flight controller, extra epoxy, unmanaged wires, probably not. I can not speak for the BVM air retracts, but they need a servo, linkage, air tank, valves, and lines. It is hard to believe they would weigh less.

About the struts, BVM wire struts work on grass, but you may need to bend them back. For E-Flite retracts they come with free wire struts, but part# eflg520f4u is the nice strut option. I have only ever found two struts as light as a BVM wire struts. TamStruts for the Electra, his second variant in the picture down below is it, for nonwire struts. Everything else is significantly heavier, including his brake and earlier version. As well as all other brands. Tam no longer makes them. A new guy makes Tamstruts now, but he does not have the machine to make them for the Electra. Titanium wire struts are the only other struts lighter. I used them on the Electras and a BVM Ultra Viper. They are very hard to work with. The weight savings is almost all in the front of the jet. No problem for a 12S Electra sporting 4S in between the inlets. 10S Electras my need to get rid of weight in the back.

I added a picture of some of my personal notes involving retracts. Toward the bottom of the picture, if you can figure my notes, your welcome to it.

If you get rid of your mechanical retracts, I may be interested in a buying them, or a trade. Ultra Vipers wings are too narrow for much else. I my use them in there. The guy I bought it from did not package it right. The currier crushed it, so it is missing the pieces I need to assemble the mechanical retracts.

Scott
Thank you Scott for all this info. If don't use these me mechanical i will let u kno. I have some of the Tamjet struts in my Super Sniper, they are very nice. I will keep looking for some. You have given me a lot to think about. Have you used the struts from Dreamworks for the Electra?
Sep 15, 2019, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
BVM mechanical retracts with 3/16" wire struts have been effective for 25+ years now on grass, concrete or asphalt. If you have to remove the wings for transport, mount a servo in each wing to operate the mechanical units, instead of a single servo operating both units.

BVM AirBlue retracts are state of the art in pneumatics. Combined with JetModelProducts control valves, they are the toughest, most reliable system I've ever run in BVM sportjets. The nosegear retract unit is an engineering triumph. Those of you who use one of these know what I mean.

Electric retracts are heavy and rely on many tiny parts making contact every time. At the field, it is those guys who are experiencing failures far more often than the pneumatics and mechanicals do.

Trailing link struts are a good option if you are making carrier landings ...
I never thought of putting a servo in the wing for the retract unit, good idea. It will be tight but possible?
Sep 15, 2019, 08:09 AM
I have my factory wire struts if someone needs them.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:11 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Quote:
I never thought of putting a servo in the wing for the retract unit, good idea. It will be tight but possible?
I didn't have any problem using thin wing servos. I just had to make sure to adjust the travel far enough to lock the lever over the cam center when the retracts are down.

Joe
Sep 15, 2019, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY
I didn't have any problem using thin wing servos. I just had to make sure to adjust the travel far enough to lock the lever over the cam center when the retracts are down.

Joe
Do you have any pictures to show where you installed the servo?
Sep 16, 2019, 01:22 AM
aka JetMan Joe
These are all I have.

Joe
Last edited by MCSGUY; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:41 PM
Quote:
These are all I have.

Joe
I thought the same location was ideal. What servo did you use? I could only find servos put out about 50oz @6v.
Thanks,
Mike
Sep 16, 2019, 06:49 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Kinda pricey but bullet proof once I got the linkage adjusted correctly for a solid down lock. Best to position the servo arm as close as possible to being in line with the linkage rod (pointing to the retract) to reinforce lock down.

https://www.mksservosusa.com/product.php?productid=182
https://www.mksservosusa.com/product...&cat=14&page=2

Joe
Sep 16, 2019, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Kinda pricey but bullet proof once I got the linkage adjusted correctly for a solid down lock. Best to position the servo arm as close as possible to being in line with the linkage rod (pointing to the retract) to reinforce lock down.

https://www.mksservosusa.com/product.php?productid=182

Joe
Thanks for taking the time to post the links. Those are nice servos, trying to justify it in my head. If they allow me to have gear down on every landing and simplify assemble time at the field i think they are worth it.

Mike

Quick Reply