May 10, 2011, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

High Winds, Windy flyers. Whats your favorite High Wind Plane and style of flying???

High Winds, Windy flyers. Whats your favorite High Wind Plane and style of flying???

For months now here in Texas and across the mid-west it's extreamly windy. So that the perdictum....what do you fly in high winds that is still safe? My wing span is growing, but also has the wind speed. Almost every weekend has been spend building instead of flying. I know the old Space Scooter is good in 25mph winds. I would'nt fly in anything higher. I have a Parkzone Radian that loves the wind, but anything that gets blown over during taxi on the way back to the pits is crazy. I fly fine, but trouble during taxi? Sheesh.

What works, what do you fly? Hows the winds in your neck of the woods?

Doug
Last edited by 43851E; May 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2011, 08:33 AM
Your customer
I was out yesterday in 10-25 mph winds with my PZ Wildcat. It has 3 heli gyros in it, and handled the winds pretty good.

A guy showed up during my 2nd flight at this field with a GWS Focke Wulff that had nothing more than a hot Turnigy motor and ESC. With about 30 yrs of experience in flying RC, he made it look like there was no wind at all. He did all sorts of acrobatic moves within the span of the parking lot - using the wind to help him - he was like surfing it with the plane. I was amazed.

I just started flying airplanes, and in 30 yrs I'll be in my 70's.
May 10, 2011, 08:46 AM
Starring as Devils Advocate
PZ Corsair, because of wing shape when flying inverted into the wind you can do inverted harriers that are basically motionless. They handle the wind very well for a small plane with a different design. Here's just an example go to 2:20.
Parkzone Corsair: Stepping Over the Line (4 min 58 sec)
May 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
TMO
TMO
I agree with the warbird recommendations: basically, the higher the wingloading, the better off you are.
Alternatively:
Sport planes with symmetrical airfoils and neutral incidences also work well. Two sport planes that I have found to be good in the wind are the Ultra Stick 25e and also the Carbon Z Yak.
May 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Parkzone T-28 and the Skysurfer from Banana Hobby.
May 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
I tried my hangar 9 Super Stick 60 last sunday in high winds and it flies very well in the wind. I was worried about landing because of the cross winds. I was scared that is would be a handful to land but to my surprise, it's very stable in crosswinds.
May 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
parkzone t-28.just finished putting a monster power 10 on it bout half n hr ago so tomoro I'll see how she works!
May 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
You guys won't have to worry about it much longer. With all the high winds this spring I've decided I need a new plane that will handle the wind. As soon as I buy it the winds will stop and there will be nothing but gentle breeze.

Azarr
May 10, 2011, 01:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E
Whats your favorite High Wind Plane and style of flying???
Any speed plane, pylon racer, Stryker... burning past the runway with the wind is awesome when you get that boost. Make an 80mph plane go 100mph
May 10, 2011, 01:43 PM
Awsome stryker!!!!!
May 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
Your customer
Lol, I figure any plane that's made or modded to fly at 100+ mph will have no problem flying in hurricane type winds.
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 10, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
May 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
Your customer
here's another that would be good in wind....

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...L-p-16631.html
May 10, 2011, 02:22 PM
just flew my t-28 in front yard with 15mph gusts!
May 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
..."bank'in off the northeast winds, sail'in on a summer breeze"....

Along with what kind of plane works best in high winds, are the skills that one is called on to fly & still have a blast, & even make envy of those who do! So cudos to all that prosper in such conditions.

Silverexpress-
Nice wind chart, though I was looking at what exactly wind speed is where you open the perverbial cold one and pack it in? This could be usefull for strickly safety reasons only
And nice Bullet plane, I was just looking for something like this as I am mainly a scratch builder and attempting to resurect a "4 hour club junkyard build" plane where I ceremonially awarded with it, that Bullit looks exactly what I'm going for. 3 gryos you say, hummm, now that's stability. Good recommendation the gryo usage Sir!

Azarr, rafiek, if you can fix these excessive winds, I'll send you some stuffed grape leaves, Kibi, and maybe if you can make it calm, some shankleesh!

A buddy forked out the $$ for that Parkzone T-28, with that diheadral, it flys nice even with the stock motor.

Yes, down wind is fun, and turns can be sharp into the wind. Airleron control is really a whole 'nother deal to make flight look normal, but what the heck! If it will make me a better pilot for it, I'm in. I just hate the thing flipping on taxi back to the pits. I've also had good luck with my "air Hogs Tital chuck glider", mod'ed with the whole cha-bang. Makes a very sweet pusher. 3600 kv, 5x3 prop & a 3000mah 3s LiPo. It could care less what the winds are doing. We fly BIG down here in windy Texas, but this wind is blow'in to beat the band since Feburary.

I've included the mod'ed Airogs Titan chuck glider ($10), cut 6" off the wings tips.

Thanks all for your responses, keep 'em coming. Lets have fun with this thread. Some off topic stuff I can live with. -Doug
Last edited by 43851E; May 10, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
May 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
Got a place you can try slope soaring?

Listening to some of the guys chat at the flying field has me interested in trying it...

Quick Reply