This thread is privately moderated by rick.benjamin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2011, 04:26 PM
Reduce the drama...
Thread OP
Discussion

Pride

When I was a youth, I pretended to be a warrior. The White Knight. Any stick became a sword or gun of mighty power to slay the evil-doers.

My fantasy turned to interest in the study of war. Herr Von Clausewitz
identified war as "politics revealed", imposing one's will over another by force of arms.

I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.
My orders stated that upon successful completion of recruit training, I would be trained as an anti-aircraft missile systems repairman.
My motivation to complete recruit training almost immediately slipped from being a missile systems repairman to surviving each day. My drill instructors not only taught me to march, THEY taught all of us to eat, sleep, and move as one entity. We learned by lecture, reading, hands-on instruction, observation, and practical application.

My drill-instructors chose me to be first squad leader, then platoon guide. When I didn't please them, THEY demoted me and put pvt Otero in my place (demotion was painful). There was no competition between Otero and I. THEY exploited our strengths as THEY chose to.

At training day 77 we received our next set of orders. Mine said to report to Camp Pendleton, CA for field radio training (govno!).

Training day 78, Graduation! Earned the privilege to wear the Eagle Globe and Anchor of the United States Marine Corps. Graduated as platoon honor man, meritorious promotion to PFC, set of Dress Blues, a Leatherneck watch.

My father traveled to attend the graduation. He said he was proud of me.
Last edited by rick.benjamin; May 09, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply