New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RotoRex, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2011, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by RotoRex
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat
Discussion

First Scratch Built Plane

The inspiration for this plane came from a desire to take aerial videos with a forward facing view that didnít have a propeller in the shot. After a few days of thinking, a design finally came to me and I then modeled the plane in Google Sketchup. The construction time for the plane was approximately a month.

The plane has a wingspan of 64 inches and weighs 3 pounds 10 ounces with the battery. The plane uses an E-flite 15e motor and a 30 amp speed controller and carries a 3200mah 3s battery pack. The plane has five channels: elevator, rudder, aileron, throttle, and flaps.

The first flight was a success! The plane only needed a little bit of aileron trim. Besides that it flew perfectly. I also performed a few flights with a camera mounted on the front of the plane. The video turned out ok, but I need to get a better video camera due to the fact that the video quality of my current camera is not up to the quality standards that I would like.

I also came up with a name for my aircraft. I call it the BX-1 Surveyor. B for the first initial of my last name, X for experimental, 1 because it is the first plane that I have ever built and Surveyor because the plane is designed to carry a camera.

If you would like more info on the plane, feel free to contact me.
Last edited by RotoRex; Oct 20, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts