This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 08, 2011, 08:32 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

New plane - Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR 10

While looking at Cessna 182's, I found a very cool plane listed in the Classifieds - I contacted the seller who lives 9 miles from me, took a short drive over to see it.

Met with the seller/owner, who put the plane through it's paces on the ground, showing everything was in proper working order. I had done some research on the plane and liked what I read, so armed with that information, and with such an attractive price, it was a no brainier. Nice unplanned deal.

The plane is not new, but still in good shape. I am admittedly picky, but it passed my quality requirements and the plane came with 2 lipos to sweeten the deal.

I am going to install nav. lights to the plane which I think will add to it's already good scale appearance.

I found a place called Lazertoyz.com that sells a nice LED kit for $29.00. I was not looking for this plane, but it was offered at a very fair price, and this plane strikes me as being more interesting and unique than a yellow J-3 Cub.

The fellow had completed the flap upgrade, so I won't have to do that, which saves me the time and the extra servo. All in all, I am happy with this purchase, and look forward to getting it the air next week.

Here are the planes specifications:
Wingspan: 49.6 in (1260mm)
Overall Length: 33.5 in (850mm)
Flying Weight: 41.9 oz (1190 g)
Motor Size: 480 Brushless Outrunner
Prop Size: 9.5 x 7.5
Speed Control: E-flite 30-amp brushless ESC
CG (center of gravity): 55-65mm from wing root
Last edited by Boomer1; May 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added an image
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP

Maiden Flights went great - lots of fun to fly

Things to know about the Stinson - During the maiden flights recently completed, I learned several note worthy flight characteristics about this great plane. The first is to be aware that if you engage the flaps in normal flight the plane will climb quickly. Next, I learned that flying it to slowly may encourage a "tip stall" in a sharp turn. The lesson there is pretty simple, don't fly it too slowly!

The plane really wants to fly, so take off is easy. The plane handles well on the ground, so no worries there. Landing you need to keep some power on, using the flaps, with the nose pointing slightly down, the plane will land it's self. Don't get the nose up on landing it. You should actually be controlling the decent with the throttle. The flaps help to slow it down.

I really like the plane and am very happy I got one instead of a Cub. Cubies are great planes for sure, but I think the Stinson has a lot more character!

Good purchase
Boomer
Aug 17, 2011, 04:20 PM

Light system for Stinson

Did you get the lights installed? Wondering how you like them.

Norm
Aug 17, 2011, 04:47 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Norm.
Got the lights, but haven't had time to install them. Got another plane Cessna 182 that came with the lights which look very cool at dusk.

I have been working on a boat project as well, so it's the old story of too many projects going on.

I just got another boat, from a fellow who was paid to build it for a guy that flaked out on him. The color is Orange, yuck! So I will have to paint it. It is brand new with high dollars servos - the price was right so I had to get it.

It is a Seawind 1M which is a nice boat - will be very nice after I get it painted a normal color.
Boomer
Aug 17, 2011, 06:48 PM

floats

How do you think this plane will fly with foats on it?
Aug 17, 2011, 07:19 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongler
How do you think this plane will fly with foats on it?
Wow - good question. I have never flown a float plane. I have cub that offered pontoons as an option, felt the planes landing gear was so weak
that landing it on it's wheels needed a soft landing to stay in place, so the pontoons were never under consideration.

I am not yet to the point of my development as a pilot to feel confident of landing on water. I have seen guys do it successfully, and one that crashed.

If you were to choose to do that I'd sure try to water proof everything electronic on the plane.

One of my buddies has a big cub that he converts to a float plane. See the picture below. He can fly anything - professional level pilot so for him it
is not a big deal.

Me.........................not yet. The plane fly well enough but seems a bit stubby to me to make an idea Float plane. I really am not the right guy to ask.
I ask my friend to see what he things. He has flown my Stinson so he'd have a good idea if it would work or not.

I let you know
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 17, 2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply