This thread is privately moderated by raglafart, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
The British publication "Model Boats" would always have a complete, though reduced to fit the page, set of plans in each issue. This practice however ended sometime in 1983.

My guess is that it was discontinued due to the readily available copy machines in office supply stores, which were cutting into the plan sales---.
May 17, 2011, 02:29 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Hope this helps Col Blink,

Regards Ian.
You are a gentleman, Sir!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
The British publication "Model Boats" would always have a complete, though reduced to fit the page, set of plans in each issue. This practice however ended sometime in 1983.

My guess is that it was discontinued due to the readily available copy machines in office supply stores, which were cutting into the plan sales---.
On the aircraft thread, many of those type of reduced plans are being turned into usable, buildable, scaled up .pdfs.............
Jun 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have scans of Bouncie and Bouncie II from the about 1950 Mechanix Illustrated but I don't have a clue about how to make PDFs outa them.
Jun 12, 2011, 04:45 AM
Which part of the universe are you based in H/Y?

First, scans are best done in greyscale at 300DPI in either Jpeg or Tiff format and then converted with a free PDF converter. Check the Adobe site for free downloads.

If you go across to the "Vintage and old timer plans" section in the aircraft side, there's a full explanation of how to scan and manipulate larger plans by a few of the guys in that section.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...65873&page=293

Good Luck and fill yer boots.

Regards Ian.
Jun 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Greetings Circlip, from 19th century Pennsylvania, USA. Actually, my base universe is quite rural - I'm 2 miles from the nearest paved road and all I have is dial-up so up/downloading files and/or images of over one or two megs is time consuming, which may explain/excuse my unfamiliarity with the more exotic file types. What would really help would be a pointer to "how to post" files/images on this site.
Regards Bob
Jun 12, 2011, 12:04 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1173739&page=5

Have a read at post #65

Even I understood it.

Good Luck.

Regards Ian.

Ref to location of your base is that it's difficult trying to recommend things when different Continents may be involved so local terms may differ.
Jun 13, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hi C/C Thank you for the pointer to file/image posting tutorial. It is just what I need, a step by step hand holding. Sadly, the first step "hit Go Advanced" yields a blank page so the steps that follow are inaccessible. This seems to happen to me quite a lot. Thank you anyway. Regards, Bob
Jun 14, 2011, 09:25 AM

Bouncie II

Here's "Bouncie II"
Jun 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hi C/C

So, it seems that I don't hit the "Quick Reply", rather I hit the "New Reply". Well, as my wizard/warlock mentor would say - the incantation must be precise or else the spell/curse won't work. Then again, sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't.

Regards, Bob
Jun 14, 2011, 04:15 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
This is the tutorial we typically direct people to when trying posting pictures for model boats.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...30&postcount=5

Jun 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks Umi, wish someone had pointed me to that one. Pity it isn't earmarked (or it might be - somewhere??), that's why I had to ask.

Regards Ian.
Jun 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
If this was a Oldtimer Plane forum... we would be up about 50 pages of plans by now.. Maybe boaters don't like plans?

I have been told by one of the contributers to Model Boats magazine, that very few model boat builders buy the magazine compared to the RC aircraft version..

In the UK we have the British Model Flying Association or BMFA which covers all type of flying...Model boats a few niche organisations and thats about it.
Jun 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
If people would have just left well enough alone when the boat plans were being published in the Vintage forum of the aircraft section I believe more would have been shared. If it isn't broke don't fix it I say.
Jun 22, 2011, 07:21 PM
1/2 a bubble off
I'm not into model planes, I like them, go to the nearby shows. always bring my camera.

But I would never have thought to look in the "Aircraft Section" for boat plans on my own. I'm a very intuitive person, and if I hadn't read about them here, being over there, I would never have known to look.

I'm glad that the Aircraft folks are looking out for us boaters. Thank You.

Quick Reply