This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
I find most of my bigger planes to be easier to fly than the small stuff. They are like flying in slow motion compared to the the micro's.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2011, 01:26 AM
Suspended Account
There is a point though where the plane gets small enough that you can crash it pretty hard and it just bounces off the ground without damage. Doesn't make it any easier to fly though
May 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
Burb

Polaris Seaplane Model Aero

I would rate this a 9
May 15, 2011, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by burb
I would rate this a 9
dang that plane looks cool! Super hard to fly I bet haha, maybe in a year I'll be able to fly something like that :P
May 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
I like to fly!
I didn't quite see it on the list, but I could have missed it.
ParkZone Slo-V.
I would rate this aircraft a 4.5. I learned it as a second flyer and found it an easy plane to use. I have a friend who picked one up as a starter aircraft but had a little trouble with it. I ended up talking him through most of his first flights.
It's a slow flyer, but I would say it's a bit underpowered and weight is an issue if you're not used to a plane like that.
ParkZone Slo-V 4.5
May 18, 2011, 01:35 AM
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6506
Has anyone rated this one yet?

I like the look of it, I have flown (Ie not crashed) an irvine 20 tutor solo a whle back (before I moved to Finland) and have many hours of sim time (Phoenix)
Whould it be a good model to get back into things.

The reveiws seem favourable and its available from HK's Geman warehouse
May 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
I'd like to see a rating for the Multiplex FunCub.

Thanks!
May 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
Correction: GWS Tigermoth 400 is listed twice. It's listed at 3.5 and 4.5
May 26, 2011, 06:42 AM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Wow, I see that the Freewing Hellcat is shown to be rated at 6 which means it's a "good 2nd plane that does not require an instructor".

For real? How can this be correct? It is a minimum 4 channel warbird.

I do not think that it has any self-correcting tendencies at all.

Do want to buy one but I suspect the rating for it is sickeningly optimistic

Shouldn't this be rating be changed to a 7 for now?

Any helpful comments?

Regards,

Crash
May 27, 2011, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the list

Thanks, this is exactly what I have been looking for! I see too many claims that a plane would make a perfect trainer, only to find out it would rate more like an 8 makes it have for a n00b like me.

How do people rate a Wilga-2000 from Hobby King? I like the sound of it for my 1st and cant see it in the list.
May 27, 2011, 06:33 AM
Toilet paper profiteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasha
Thanks, this is exactly what I have been looking for! I see too many claims that a plane would make a perfect trainer, only to find out it would rate more like an 8 makes it have for a n00b like me.
Even on this list, there are planes which are rated far too optimistically. 4? More like a 7

Quote:
How do people rate a Wilga-2000 from Hobby King? I like the sound of it for my 1st and cant see it in the list.
I haven't flown it, but it's got one of the lowest wing loading values I've seen, if the HK stats are to believed, which is not always the case.

Wing load: 16.82g sp.dm
Flying Weight: 550g / 600g (with floats)

If the ~17g/dm2 loading is even close to correct (meaning it's got a 32dm2 wing area - improbably large), this plane would be able to fly very slowly, which is a good characteristic for a trainer. There doesn't seem to be all that much dihedral, and the control surfaces are relatively large, but odds are you'll do well with it as a first plane since you're methodical enough to research the issue.
May 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Wilga 2000 is a new offering and I don't see a thread on it yet. Want to start one? I highly recommend a seasoned RC pilot assist you with the maiden and some introductory flying lessons.

Regards,

Crash
May 29, 2011, 09:16 AM
Suspended Account
Wilga would be 4, my guess anyways
May 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117
Wilga would be 4, my guess anyways
The four rating is probably pretty close but it will probably require an experienced flyer to set it up. From what I have seen most of the super cheap planes are thrown together at random and need a very careful going over before being flown.
May 30, 2011, 05:41 PM
Parkzone Corsair 3
Parkzone Ultra Micro Corsair 3.5

Quick Reply