Difficulty to Fly Rating System (v2.0) - Page 31 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2016, 02:11 PM

Review: Sport Cub S BNF with SAFEŽ Technology

NOTE: Given the criteria, I'm going to review this plane assuming it is being flown on MODE 1 (Beginner). Also, it's not clear in the title of the plane, but this is the Micro cub.

T - Can't comment, no crashes. Rough Landings are a non-issue though.

E - With SAFE and the Beginner Mode Flying, this plane is a DREAM to fly. My 8 year old daughter was able to fly this plane without too much difficulty (minus takeoffs and landings) on her first try. No buddy cord; I just was ready to take the controller if she needed it. That being said, when you turn it's not really shy about it. It'll turn and turn with authority. This surprised me. Forget about it being 4 channel; I've never flown a 3 channel plane that is this easy.

S - Not much speed here, and the lift this plan generates is insane. The standing joke for landing was "OK, I'll just kill the throttle and wait half an hour for the plane to come down". If you fly high like I coach my kids, getting it near enough to the ground to actually set up a landing approach takes patience.

S - It's not big, but it's big enough to be clearly visible. Color scheme is really good for keeping orientation, even on bright days.

Final Rating: 1 - Really, this plane is hardly more difficult to fly than a remote control car in the air. You can't really over-compensate, and the "Oh Crap" switch is there if you do (and it reacts FAST when you hit it). I was tempted to go lower than a 1. I wouldn't hand it to a young child and tell them to go for it (0 rating) but at the same time I did coach my daughter and helped her out when she panicked a few times (needlessly I should say; she was never in trouble). So she didn't need assistance, but coaching. An older child or adult wouldn't need that.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2016, 01:28 AM
Intermediate boob
Can anyone rate the Hangar 9 Cirrus SR22t? 10S for a modestly large plane, but it has really heavy wing loading, if the specs are to be believed.
May 03, 2016, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demuddy
Can anyone rate the Hangar 9 Cirrus SR22t? 10S for a modestly large plane, but it has really heavy wing loading, if the specs are to be believed.

Agree like to know as well
May 23, 2016, 08:43 AM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
Sure..
I built and first flew the Cirrus last year. Mine is the electric version 10S.
The instructions are thorough, the throws accurate and CG is good. The weight on this model is a non issue because there is considerable lift generated by the fuse. Do not let the narrow wings scare you - they function just like the full size.

Take off
Apply power briskly and you will note that the plane tracks really nicely. At about 70% power she will be ready to fly. I do not use full power for take off ( not needed ). She will rotate very smoothly and with full control ( ie no leaping off the ground ). Half flaps will allow for a very short take off run.

Flight
The controls are nicely balanced if you follow the directions. Elevator is powerful, rudder has good authority. Roll not so much. Those high aspect wings, while providing for a fairly fast airframe, just don't have the aerobatic snappiness. Expect to throw in rudder to do a roll. Split S is nice, inverted needs some down elevator. Now where it really shines is with flap use. You can putter around at 40% throttle 1/2 flaps for 12 minutes on the 10S system. She cruises around beautifully. Add some power and she gets up to speed in a real hurry ( those wings again ) just like the full size.

Landing
She is a sleek bird and likes to glide ( remember those high aspect ratio wings ) so the use of full flaps is strongly recommended on landing. She will slow down very nicely and the rate of descent is very easy to maintain with the use of a little throttle management. The powerful elevator is effective in flaring all the way to touchdown. Simply one of the easiest scale models to land ( and makes you look good too ), but flap use is mandatory unless you have a very loooooong runway...lol

I love mine....note....mine is electric and I now have many, many flights on it and it is holding up very well. There have been numerous vibration related issues with gas versions so beware.

So..I would give this aircraft an 8 rating. It is very stable, forgiving aircraft but some previous experience is needed and the mandatory use of flaps puts it up a point on the experience needed scale.
Dean W.
Last edited by shokaidobb; May 23, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
May 23, 2016, 06:59 PM
mkpatrick

Free Wing F-86 Sabre

T - Not much data here. I have had one hard landing with it and it bounced on those very tough gear but did manage to bend the nose strut. T = 3

E- There is some conjecture here. Stock, I give it about a 8. The reason is, it is too nose heavy in stock config. So it forces you to land fast. If you land too slow you can run out of elevator effectiveness and its a bad landing. But on RC Groups, the forum for this plane, it has been found by a user, to change the CG so its much further aft. They have it very well documented with a procedure. With that CG, it is a 6.

S - Its not super fast for a jet but fast enough to spec out quick enough to be hard to see the orientation. 7

S - So the scale shape to the plane is top shelf. Its a good thick fuselage and has very good presence in the air. Only 1200mm X 1200mm but the shape and scale detail make it very easy to see. One of the best for scale detail and hence easy to see. 2

An Eagle Tree stabilizer makes this plane more of a 3 but without that, its a 5 stock. But with the advertised in the F-86 Freewing RC Groups thread, the TST (Tail Sit Test) its a 4.5.

One other note, it has an 80mm fan with a 12 blade unit. So it has the sound of a real jet.
Last edited by mkpatrick; May 23, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
May 23, 2016, 11:30 PM
Intermediate boob
shokaidobb, thanks for the very thorough and informative flight review. I was considering a certain direction to go in with my next purchase and into the 10-12S range, and your very detailed and relevant flight report helped to make that decision. I will be getting this bird, despite its somewhat steep price tag, and the reason I wanted such a rating and review.
Jun 07, 2016, 10:59 PM
Novice Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwkeeper
NOTE: Given the criteria, I'm going to review this plane assuming it is being flown on MODE 1 (Beginner). Also, it's not clear in the title of the plane, but this is the Micro cub.

T - Can't comment, no crashes. Rough Landings are a non-issue though.

E - With SAFE and the Beginner Mode Flying, this plane is a DREAM to fly. My 8 year old daughter was able to fly this plane without too much difficulty (minus takeoffs and landings) on her first try. No buddy cord; I just was ready to take the controller if she needed it. That being said, when you turn it's not really shy about it. It'll turn and turn with authority. This surprised me. Forget about it being 4 channel; I've never flown a 3 channel plane that is this easy.

S - Not much speed here, and the lift this plan generates is insane. The standing joke for landing was "OK, I'll just kill the throttle and wait half an hour for the plane to come down". If you fly high like I coach my kids, getting it near enough to the ground to actually set up a landing approach takes patience.

S - It's not big, but it's big enough to be clearly visible. Color scheme is really good for keeping orientation, even on bright days.

Final Rating: 1 - Really, this plane is hardly more difficult to fly than a remote control car in the air. You can't really over-compensate, and the "Oh Crap" switch is there if you do (and it reacts FAST when you hit it). I was tempted to go lower than a 1. I wouldn't hand it to a young child and tell them to go for it (0 rating) but at the same time I did coach my daughter and helped her out when she panicked a few times (needlessly I should say; she was never in trouble). So she didn't need assistance, but coaching. An older child or adult wouldn't need that.
Good review. Hope he sees it
Dec 10, 2016, 10:50 PM

Flyzone sensei fs

I don't know if people post here much or not but thought I would give it a go. I am a beginner I have been flying for 7 or 8 months but not often 3 to 4 week lapses due to my job are common so you can imagine learing to fly is not easy when you take long breaks. I also have taught myself to fly (I only have one totaled plane and it might get reworked and back in the air soon). I started with a high wing trainer that was nitro and it got away from me and I dum thumbed it right into a tractor. (nobody hurt just did a grand number on the plane.) 2nd plane was a PZ sport cub s2 good little plane still flys but I have beat the snot out of itand did not feel like I was getting better with it. I bought a sim and used it during the time I couldnt fly and then bought a flyzone Sensei FS with the tactic radio, I would have to give this plane a 2,

1. Toughness seems to take a hard landing well and my nose gear is still intact luckilly I am landing quite well with it.
2. Ease of control awesome the stability really helps and takes some of the nervous factor out and lets me focus on what I am telling the plane to do building muscle memory faster.
3 speed not fast but can carry my gopro if the winds re under 10mph.
4 size this is a nice big trainer good markings and easy to tell orientation on it. I have flown it in gusts to over 20mph and she did bounce around a bit but handled it well.

The real neat thing about it though was when I threw a as3x rx someone gave me in the cub and it was bad, the cub handled fine on the ground but this thing was twitching like crazy even without inputs from me in the air what happened? This newbie landed pretty as you please right on the runway with a very erattic and difficult to control bird. The guys at the club have all said I have come a long way since getting the sensei and taking a step back

1: Toughness - Will it shrug off a nose over or stall, or will it need a greased landing?
2: Ease of control - 2ch, 3ch, 4ch? Parkflier or 3D? Start on easy, predictable rates & 2~3ch.
3: Speed - fast models get away quickly and require you to 'fly ahead' more than slow ones.
4: Size - small models get away quickly, too, and also tend to get thrown around by wind.
Last edited by hazegry; Dec 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM.
Dec 27, 2016, 07:47 PM

Flyzone Beaver

Hi, I'm new can anyone rate the Flyzone Beaver?