Aug 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest
The Hitec and Futaba threads are tame by comparison! LOL. Everybody(well mostly) are happy over on those threads!
Hmm, well I'm really not out to bash a brand here (definitely uncalled for as Spektrum has many satisfied customers too), but the kind of problems people sometimes report doesn't do good to my trust in their radios and receivers.

I've got no doubt they will continue to improve and I hope they do, because I certainly like their pricing.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX
... but the kind of problems people sometimes report doesn't do good to my trust in their radios and receivers.
I trust both the transmitters and receivers.

I have mostly 15-25 sized models, but a few larger ones as well, right up to an 84" C-130. My latest acquisition is a turbine model. Guess what - it will be all Spektrum.

Our club just had a big regional jet meet - DSM2 was the most popular, followed by DSMX (guys who had not yet converted), with a distant third place of other brands.

If the turbine guys can trust Spektrum, I think I can too

Andy
Aug 31, 2011, 12:15 PM
Popularity doesn't say all that much. It's the most popular brand at my local club too (because it's low-budget, but comes with pretty good features), but also the brand with the most problems at our club.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable here, but I am really not so sure how to interpret that if there's any kind of correlation.

Anyhow, lets continue with the radio itself. What are the biggest differences between the old DX7 and the new one?
Aug 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Anyhow, lets continue with the radio itself. What are the biggest differences between the old DX7 and the new one?
If you want to Read for yourself.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM2710 DX7
vs
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM7800 DX7s

First paragraph says volumes about the differences.
Quote:
Besides advanced DSMX™ technology and an impressive list of programming features for airplanes and helicopters, the DX7s gives you the unparalleled situational awareness of Spektrum telemetry technology. Its balanced weight, smooth, quad-bearing gimbals and rubber grips provide a sense of comfort and precision that is second to none. You also get the intuitive SimpleScroll™ programming interface and the clarity of a large LCD screen. And you'll always be up-to-date with the latest Spektrum AirWare™ software thanks to the Spektrum Data Interface SD card reader.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Hmm, well I'm really not out to bash a brand here (definitely uncalled for as Spektrum has many satisfied customers too), but the kind of problems people sometimes report doesn't do good to my trust in their radios and receivers.
I've got no doubt they will continue to improve and I hope they do, because I certainly like their pricing.
Hmmm... its comments like that that make me think you have never used spektrum? If I'm wrong there I apologize, but if i'm correct, then you have no right to claim you dont trust them....

Really, its amazing how many people claim they dont trust spektrum when they have never used them...
Your buddy crashing his plane and blaming it on the radio isnt a good reason to not trust a brand.....

People can have problems with any brand radio, and some people will have problems with EVERY brand of radio, but when you look at the number of people that have never had a single problem with spektrum (myself included going on 5 years spektrum use) its a pretty clear to see the brand is trustworthy as long as you arent trying to use 5+ servos on a 1.5amp bec with a 3 cell lipo...
Sep 01, 2011, 05:19 AM
Yup, I actually do own a DX6i, but I basically stopped using it. To Spektrum their defense it's really not like it has nothing but problems and it's features are great.

But I quite specifically said the kind of problems people report (ie. happens not just at our local club) do not make me trust my Spektrum radio.

The 'sudden signal loss' kind of problems, the recalls to fix that up and what not.

To be honest I think it's a bit unfair to completely ignore all that as if it never happens and suggest that I'm badmouthing this brand.

I actually had radio related glitches myself (luckily didn't cause a crash, but I changed the radio and receiver anyway and the plane never glitched again; I still fly at the that very same spot).

Quote:
Your buddy crashing his plane and blaming it on the radio isnt a good reason to not trust a brand.....
Very very true, but it is when the receiver has that blinking red light from having had a brown-out though. A pilot calls 'no control' as a heads-up for a pending crash, tries to bang sticks around and the plane just won't respond. I've witnesses that quite a few times at our club.

Obviously I do not count pilot-error crashes. Heck, people crash all the time and with any random brand of radios.

I must state though that despite all that the new DSMX technology should be much more reliable. (But to put things in perspective, we all know even the new transmitters have had recalls).

For me it's very much a trust kind of thing and it has to do with a personal preference, but it's not like problems don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
its a pretty clear to see the brand is trustworthy as long as you arent trying to use 5+ servos on a 1.5amp bec with a 3 cell lipo...
I very much understand what you're saying there and there's no arguing with that.
Sep 01, 2011, 07:32 AM
When a new radio comes out it's like test flying a new plane. You can set the control surfaces by eyeball as neutral as you can get. Take it up and you'll usually need a bit of trim here and there until you get it to fly right. Same when a new radio comes out. Needs tweaking here and there to get it to work right. Sometimes a badly warped wing or motor thrust line needs to be fixed and is a little more involved. But once the bugs are out of it, it flies like a charm, same with a new radio. My first DX8 was the pits with all kinds of "out of trim problems" Ended up with a completely new radio with no problems whatsoever. What I'm saying is, a bum radio can be fixed to have no problems, same as a plane. I trust this radio now as much as my old DX7 of which I never had a problem from day one.

Gord.
Sep 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
When a new radio comes out it's like test flying a new plane. You can set the control surfaces by eyeball as neutral as you can get. Take it up and you'll usually need a bit of trim here and there until you get it to fly right. Same when a new radio comes out. Needs tweaking here and there to get it to work right. Sometimes a badly warped wing or motor thrust line needs to be fixed and is a little more involved. But once the bugs are out of it, it flies like a charm, same with a new radio. My first DX8 was the pits with all kinds of "out of trim problems" Ended up with a completely new radio with no problems whatsoever. What I'm saying is, a bum radio can be fixed to have no problems, same as a plane. I trust this radio now as much as my old DX7 of which I never had a problem from day one.

Gord.
Yes,
But the design team should work the bugs out of a new radio, not the customers!
Sep 06, 2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Yup, I actually do own a DX6i, but I basically stopped using it. To Spektrum their defense it's really not like it has nothing but problems and it's features are great.

But I quite specifically said the kind of problems people report (ie. happens not just at our local club) do not make me trust my Spektrum radio.

The 'sudden signal loss' kind of problems, the recalls to fix that up and what not.
Yeah, the new Spektrum designed and manufactured radios have had issues. The Dx6i had it share of poor quality problems including bad pots and easily broken parts/trim tabs etc. The Dx8... same thing. Multiple recalls for unrelated problems.

The DSMx recall I don't see as a mark specifically against the Dx8, and it doesn't bother me as much as other issues. The original Dx6 and Dx7 (not the Dx6i and Dx7s) were both rock solid radios designed and manufactured by JR. The lack of widespread problems/recalls and demonstrated reliability speak volumes to me as a consumer. I just haven't seen that out of the Dx5e, Dx6i, or Dx8.

I like the technology, it just seems like they cut corners in production/testing of hardware and software with the new radios and the number of returns reflect that. I had been looking forward to the release of this Tx for a while but I will probably hold out for next season while they work out the kinks and hopefully are able to demonstrate some reliability.
Sep 12, 2011, 01:07 AM
Foamy Pilot
I hope these radios come out in mid october like they say. I need to upgrade baaad
Sep 26, 2011, 05:48 PM
Byron C

Looking forward to the DX7s availability in November(?)

I bought a new DX6i in the Spring of this year (my first 2.4GHZ radio) in a move to get back into r/c (.30~.50 size 3D aerobatic planes) after a 16 yr. hiatus, having flown r/c extensively from '84 ~ '96 using 53 MHz Ace R/C gear.

No radio control link related problems in some 250 logged flights to date with my DX6i (AR6210, AR6255 RXs) so I'm happy with the RF reliability. Viewing the DX6i interior I was pleasantly surprise to find high quality epoxy-glass PC boards. Very nice electronics construction indeed!

The only issue I've got with the DX6i is the gimbals -- no ball bearings. The 5K gimbal pots. are beginning to show signs of mechanical wear. I.e. Elevator control stick is hanging / dragging on "up elevator". The "slop" in the pot shaft (the only "bearing/bushing" on that side of the gimbal) is the problem, and the gimbal mechanics are rubbing (plastic on plastic).

So I'm looking forward to the availability of the DX7s in November(?) since it's slated to have quad (BB?) bearing gimbals - like the DX8? If the DX6i had been available in a quad ball-bearing gimbal version, I would have gladly paid extra to get it -- hint, hint Spektrum:-> I.e. "DX6s".

Byron (hamradiobug.com)
Sep 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
Byron,

The DX7s is indeed on track. The gimbals are the same as the DX8's.

Andy
Sep 26, 2011, 07:24 PM
Byron C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Byron,

The DX7s is indeed on track. The gimbals are the same as the DX8's.

Andy
Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation on the DX7s having "ball-bearing" gimbals. Specktum's product description (DX7s) uses every word but "ball-bearing" in describing the gimbals for some odd reason. Perhaps that will be amended in time.

-Byron
Sep 26, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'll double check tomorrow. The units I've had were literally the exact same. Even if they're bushings, they're a standard size and swappable, probably from Boca.

Andy
Sep 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
Quote:

To be honest I think it's a bit unfair to completely ignore all that as if it never happens and suggest that I'm badmouthing this brand.

I actually had radio related glitches myself (luckily didn't cause a crash, but I changed the radio and receiver anyway and the plane never glitched again; I still fly at the that very same spot).

Very very true, but it is when the receiver has that blinking red light from having had a brown-out though. A pilot calls 'no control' as a heads-up for a pending crash, tries to bang sticks around and the plane just won't respond. I've witnesses that quite a few times at our club.

Obviously I do not count pilot-error crashes. Heck, people crash all the time and with any random brand of radios.

I must state though that despite all that the new DSMX technology should be much more reliable. (But to put things in perspective, we all know even the new transmitters have had recalls).

For me it's very much a trust kind of thing and it has to do with a personal preference, but it's not like problems don't exist.

I very much understand what you're saying there and there's no arguing with that.
I think maybe it may be important for you to know that the "blinking red led"
has absolutely nothing to do with "brownout".The red led is in place to indicate "holds". Brownout and loss of signal are 2 entirely seperate issues.Ive generally found that many with problems interchange the 2 terms.IMO this sheds alot of light on the true issues involved with many problems.
Personally it is definitely like problems do not exist.The systems have been basically flawless for me when used properly.
"We all know" is not really accurate either.Theres no need to jump my case and start the same old argument all over but Im not aware of any recall.The Service Bulletins have not effected me adversely despite my radio falling into the posted PID range.
Your field may be different but at mine I generally hear lockout,brownout,lost signal and POC radio used along with a few others I cannot repeat here.They are mostly fairly well balanced between all the various brands and lately they seem to be biased towards radios other than Spektrum.All of the systems can be temperamental in their own ways.When setup and used properly they all work very well.Add in a little carelessness incapacity or neglect and the inevitable result is usually a crashed model.

If your so worried about the new technology its always possible to go back to 72mhZ.We all know how flawlessly that was working for us.

Quick Reply