Aug 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

B-36 B-52

Gary Jones came to Lockheed Martin (Ft. Worth, TX) with a B-36 and B-52. Both flew great. Very impressive Gary!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2003, 01:02 AM
Thread OP

B-52

B-52
Aug 19, 2003, 01:04 AM
Thread OP

B-52

B-52 Low pass at Lockheed Martin.
Aug 19, 2003, 01:08 AM
Thread OP

B-36

B-36 fly by at Martin.
Aug 19, 2003, 01:26 AM
Is the B-52 a pusher or is there some ducted fans. Just curious as the plane looks great.
Aug 19, 2003, 02:42 AM
Thread OP

Pusher

The B-52 is a pusher with the motor located about mid fuselage and a drive shaft running to the prop. I think the rest of the A/C is built with fan fold. The picture is of poor quality. You can only zoom so much.

Fly Low and Slow, Ken
Aug 19, 2003, 07:41 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
very impressive. dimensions?
Aug 19, 2003, 01:33 PM
Registered Lifeform
ThomasB told me about the B-52, what a hoot! It looks wonderful in the photos and Tom says the wings flex just like the real thing. I may have to try a B-47 the same way- one of my favorite planes.

Paul
Aug 19, 2003, 09:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Gary's B-52 was incredibly cool. All fan fold foam, with a wingspan of 36" It is pushed along very nicely by a single GWS DD motor and the regular 3x2 prop. The motor is mounted close to the wing trailing edge, inside the fuse, with a carbon fiber rod drive shaft to the tailcone.

Interestingly enough, his B-36 has a 52" wingspan and his B-52 has a 36" wingspan.

I wish I had time to build a TU-95 Bear with 4X N-20 DD to chase Gary with...
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Aug 20, 2003, 08:20 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
now that would be cool
Dec 30, 2008, 10:46 AM
No such thing as overpowered
I am soon to get a B-36 and a B-52G plan to build it from
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=997
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1020

does anyone have any info on these plans
Dec 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=997
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1020

Another ancient thread brought back to life.....

If you do some deep searching in this Scale Forum, I think you will find at least one person has posted in here in R/C groups that built from the Traplet B-36 plan you link to. That B-36 construction article was pretty good in the magazine with the plan. I suggest getting that you chase down that down as well. Look for B-36 threads in here in the 2001-2004 time frame.

(OK, I searched for you and rediscovered the fact that the designer of the B-36 plan above is active in the forum here. you might try contacting Boomerang1 directly.)

I do not recall anyone from RC Groups ever building the 8 x KP-44 B-52 by Chris Golds, which is the other plan. I would certainly try a search on R/C Groups anyway and focus on the EDf forums. I predict you will not find much here in the Scale forum on that particular model.. Your best bet for more info about this model would be to locate the back issue of Quiet and Electric Flight International, which had the construction article by the great Chris Golds.

Amazingly, Chris Golds has built a huge number of B-52 models. A large one for .40 glow ducted fan power, one or two for TD .020 homebrew fans, this one for the KP 44mm EDF unit and about 1.5 builds of the big B-52 plan for 8 Minifan 480s. (It crashed on the first flight, so he had to build about another half of a B-52 to get it in the air again.) I think there is one or two more that I have forgotten about as well.

Chris' email is chrisgolds@connectfree.co.uk

As a last resort, you could write him about the B-52.
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 30, 2008 at 04:08 PM.
Dec 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
You made that out of trees?
Quote:
Quote:
I'm the designer of the B-36. It's now 13 years old & still going strong.

What do you need to know? - John.
Dec 31, 2008, 04:50 AM
No such thing as overpowered
thanks Thomas B for all the help you suplyed.

Boomerang1 I just wanted to know how easy it is to build. do you have a build thread?

also; how are the retracts made, are they home made or can you buy them?

does it have flaps?

and finnaly is it nice to fly?

so many questions right now. when I start building there will be even more

thanks
willit
Dec 31, 2008, 05:58 PM
You made that out of trees?
Hi Willit, it's not an especially easy model to build. Wings & tail are conventional built up construction but the fuselage requires some foam skills & it's covered in brown paper PVA. There is also a lot of it! Traplet sells the mouldings. Sorry, no build thread, it was built a long time ago.

The retracts are cheap, simple mechanical units.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL406&P=0

You have to fit new legs over the piano wire legs to carry the extra wheels, I found this easy & simple to do. I modified the nose leg to retract forwards, not backwards, easy, just pull them apart & reverse a few parts.

No, it does not have flaps, I have never thought 'I wish I had fitted flaps' & they ad more complication & weight. I'm not 'anti flap', just not needed in this case.

Nice to fly? That depends on what you expect. Really easy to take off & land (suits a smooth strip because of the little wheels), climb rate is not stunning with the original speed 400/nicad battery setup but is as you would expect of a big bomber, approaches have to be made flat as it glides like a sailplane (yes it will thermal). It's not especially directionally stable & wafts about a bit in wind. It's very easy to fly but will drop a wing if you do dumb things like turn really tight & slow .

Videos are here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/BAC/B-36_video_page_.html

John.

Quick Reply