May 14 2011 Contest - RC Groups
May 01, 2011, 06:30 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

May 14 2011 Contest

Folks,

Based on feedback, here is the modified May contest:
5 rounds....5-10-10-10-10 in any order. Normalized scoring.
Landing on the 100 point tape. Relaunches OK, all classes.

-------------------
Here are the details on our May 14 contest.
  • 6 flights, 45 min add-em-up
  • 2 minute minimum flights
  • Each flight must be LONGER than the previous one.
  • 1 point per second above 2 minutes, -120 points for any flights less than 2 minutes
  • 100 point landings for all rounds, even if you get zero time points.
  • If a flight is NOT longer than the previous one, you get 0 for the flight time, a -120 point penalty.
  • If you zero out one or more flights, you can still make up your 45 minute total time in later rounds.
  • STRATEGY 50 POINT BONUS: the top 3 longest 6th round flights (including ties, if any) for the day will get a 50 point bonus. If you fly less than 6 rounds, you will not qualify for the bonus.
So, if you are gutsy you can do five really short flights (each one longer than the previous one) and one long flight at the end. For example, 2:00, 2:01, 2:02, 2:03, 2.04, then a final 34:50 flight for the longest possible last flight.

Timers need to be aware of whether the just-completed flight is greater than the previous flight, or not. If it is shorter, log 0 for that flight's time and whatever the landing score was.

WATCH OUT for stopwatch up/down vagaries. Often (always?) when you switch from count down to count up after you hit stop, you lose up to a second. For example, with my watch when I am counting down 10 seconds and hit stop at 0 and then switch to show the count up time, it can show anywhere from 00:09:01 to 00:09:59 depending on how fast you hit stop after the countdown zero beep. That would be heartbreaking for those trying to fly the shortest flights so they can get the longest flight bonus. Simple suggestion: add an extra second to the set time to be safe. Caveat emptor, you timers!

Sound fun? Comments/feedback welcome.

Chris B. (your May CD)
Last edited by SoaringDude; May 02, 2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Changing contest to same as April
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2011, 08:39 PM
Interesting, but a bit too gimicky. May put off some of the newer flyers that don't understand the complexity. And what happens if you go over 45 min? Will someone that zero's a flight still qualify for the longest last flight?

JT
May 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Interesting, but a bit too gimicky. May put off some of the newer flyers that don't understand the complexity. And what happens if you go over 45 min? Will someone that zero's a flight still qualify for the longest last flight?

JT
Thanks for the feedback JT. The whole idea was to provide a contest that would be challenging for the club's best fliers while being somewhat forgiving for everyone else (i.e. all landings still count, you can still get your full time even if you zero out an early flight).

As to how complex it actually is, I'd like to see what other club members say.

Chris
May 01, 2011, 09:52 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
And what happens if you go over 45 min? Will someone that zero's a flight still qualify for the longest last flight?
JT
Using the current rules, if you go over 45 min you're penalized 1 point a sec. Logically that would disqualify you for the bonus points (no?).

Using current rules and taking the worst case, if you zero'ed the first 5 flights you would:
(a) suffer a 5x120=600pt penalty
(b) have to then fly a 45 minute flight to make your time

Is that workable?
May 01, 2011, 11:35 PM
Sad to see we seem to feel it necessary to penalize fliers for participating - in the pursuit of "challenging" events. Hope my entry fee & gas money isn't wasted by attending the contest if it results in a zero/minus score for season pts purposes. Could be time, entry fee & gas money ahead by not attending at all. My preference is always to positively reinforce participation & I subscribe to the KISS principle. Maybe the Competition VP will consider using the KISS principle for our future monthlies?
May 02, 2011, 12:02 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolte
Sad to see we seem to feel it necessary to penalize fliers for participating.
Neil my dear friend (and others who may agree with him), my response may be premature given that only two have commented so far but here it is: I realize any CD in our club can't hope to please everybody. I don't have thin skin and can certainly take the consequences of disappointing some club members for being different.

On the other hand, I also recognize that the best thing for the majority of our membership may in fact be to not be creative at all but rather keep it (mind-numbingly) simple.

If enough members offer their honest opinion that my contest is too different, too penalizing, too whatever, I'll be happy to change the May flights to 5-10-10-10 with 100 pt landings.

On the glass half full side, I'm delighted to see at least a few comments in our forum. More is better!
May 02, 2011, 11:50 AM
I believe the purpose of these contests is to bring the level of FLYING and LANDING up and have the best pilots come to the top in each catigory by flying well not getting caught up in a ginick and unfair rules . These monthly contests are for the yearly standings also and that"s what gets some people out enery month .
This would be fine for a fun fly , non monthly event .
Do the 50 bonus points count into the yearly totals ? Not fair to have one contest let the winner at 100% have that end advantage . KISS , I agree , Neil .
May 02, 2011, 12:45 PM
Good for what ALES you
Hi Chris, and thanks for bringing the donuts last week.

I am new to both SVSS and soaring contests so there are many aspects that can be intimidating to newcomers. I read these instructions multiple times and eventually created a spreadsheet to try to get a handle on how this would work. As a result, I am thinking that at my skill level, I may simply try to focus on flying in order one 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 minute flight and not worry too much about the penalties or the bonus.

On the subject of penalties, I would think that scoring zero for a sub-2-minute flight or not flying longer than a previous flight may be penalty enough and simplify both the rules and the scoring while reducing the risk of hard feelings with a negative score.
May 02, 2011, 02:05 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Contest change, will send email soon

Thanks for the comments so far, really appreciate it.

I can see where this is heading. As I'm smack in the middle of starting another business, I just can't spare much more time on this so the May contest will be a carbon copy of April (see April's newsletter, cut-and-pasted here):

5 rounds....5-10-10-10-10 in any order. Normalized scoring.
Landing on the 100 point tape. Relaunches OK, all classes.
May 12, 2011, 07:51 PM

Windy?

Chris,

Several of us plan to come up from South Bay. I'm a little worried about the wind forecast. Not afarid of the wind itself, but afraid you might be forced to cancel the event per club rules and our drive would be wasted. When it gets closer, please post back here with your prediction.

Thanks,
Bob
May 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Hi Bob,

Yes, I will absolutely post here and let everyone know what the forecast looks like. So far the latest Sacramento forecast looks promising: maybe the worst of the storm will happen Sunday.

Let's cross our fingers.

Chris
May 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
Team Hello Kitty
As of Friday evening the weather forecast for Saturday is cloudy but no rain until Sunday. So the contest is ON. The forecast is for the wind to pick up to 15mph in the afternoon so the sooner we finish our rounds the better.

Pilots meeting 9:30am. See ya there!

Chris B.
May 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thanks to everyone who came out for our wind-test. Challenging but fun for most.