May 01, 2011, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Read PRM's While in the AIR! Hovering!

Hey! Guys
I know I read in the very long Heli section of the Walkera UFLY thread that someone mentioned that it would be nice to have a tachometer (kinda like a Timing light) that could read rmp's while in the air !! NOW YOU Can! Or atleast you should be able to with low flying Heli's in a Hover!
Would also work great for bench testing a Planes Prop RPM's & it's not too bad of a price either!

Check this out! Here

I was going to just put it in the heli section but thought everyone might like
to see this...(or NOT) but it used reflector tape jut like a timing light and a Photo Sensor to read the RPM's.

What do You guys Think? Sometime HF comes up with a decent Product..not often..I'll admit.. but sometimes. Hope it's Not junk!

If this is in wrong section please move where it would be more appropriate!

Mike E.
Last edited by slick_silver; May 01, 2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Not sure it's in right section!
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2011, 10:44 AM
Jack
"...What do You guys Think? Sometime HF comes up with a decent Product..not often..I'll admit.. but sometimes. Hope it's Not junk!..."

For about twice as much money you can have something that is about four times as useful. It is called a data logger. I use an Eagle Tree eLogger with a brushless RPM sensor and get the attached data either during and after static testing or after a flight.

Jack
May 01, 2011, 11:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I just paint the prop tips yellow, count them as they whiz past, (have to remember to divide by two of course), and get the rpm that way, for free.

It can make your eye go funny if you do it for too long, so take care.

And. It's a darn site safer than those Those Eagle Tree Loggers. You get anywhere near those talons, or that beak when collecting logs, (or is it counting logs ), and......well, lets just say it's worse than backing into a GWS 8 x 4 on full chat when the cats chasing you.

Jim knows all about counting logs (or collecting logs, whichever), and he never mentions 'rpm'. Next time you see Captain Slog just ask him, he'll also tell you about keeping away from birds of prey.

Anyway I digress, count the tips and divide by two. If your one of those......errr, ....you know,........that prefers three of four, then buy a calculator, they're still cheaper that a whole load of bandages, tetanus injections, hospital bills, being sued by the animal, (and birds) rights organizations for scarring their poor little Eagles.

Heck, I forgotten what I was talking about now......
May 02, 2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Or you could use Castle Ice ESC's.
May 02, 2011, 07:33 PM
Jack
Yeah, that is one of the numbers that they appear to be getting right.

There seems to be a problem with an inherent but consistent inaccuracy (in comparison to other watt meters and data loggers) with the amps, volts, and watts.

It is a matter of taste I think but I also like the way the eLogger presents the graphed data and, of course, there are a lot more options in the software for messing with that.

Apples and oranges, it may be a matter of taste. But I'm in no hurry to move up to an ICE and I like the smaller sized Phoenix and the smaller, much cheaper, and very useful Thunderbirds.

Jack
May 03, 2011, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Yeah, that is one of the numbers that they appear to be getting right.

There seems to be a problem with an inherent but consistent inaccuracy (in comparison to other watt meters and data loggers) with the amps, volts, and watts.

It is a matter of taste I think but I also like the way the eLogger presents the graphed data and, of course, there are a lot more options in the software for messing with that.

Apples and oranges, it may be a matter of taste. But I'm in no hurry to move up to an ICE and I like the smaller sized Phoenix and the smaller, much cheaper, and very useful Thunderbirds.

Jack
I like the Ice because it is the most affordable way for me to go 8s.

Quick Reply