Apr 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
Gary
Thread OP
Discussion

LED's the size used in micro's?

Where is a source of individual LED's the size used in micro's like the tinybrightlights? The smallest I find are 3mm. And what is the mcd rating of the appropriate range for our planes? Can someone help?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
Good luck finding them I been looking also for those tiny lights.

I did use a red and green 3mm for my mCX. 'so far so good using them.

John
Apr 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
ICU
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
A great source for small surface mount leds is http://www.Mouser.com. This link here will get you started, http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronic...rd=led&FS=True. They have filters there to help you find exactly what your looking for. They have some there as small as 1mm x 0.5mm.

In this video here,
Saucer Pot Mod 2 (0 min 46 sec)
, the blue leds (3 of them) are about 2 x 3mm (I believe) and show up very nicely, plenty bright.

The hardest part of using these is soldering. I used some servo tape. Stuck the parts down then soldered them together. And connected to the battery using 32ga magnet wire. I eventually put a total of 12 (2 x 3mm) leds on that saucer in the video. With the leds, resistors and wire totaled, I think, 2g.

Good luck
Apr 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
i ave not bought from here but this store sells the unused SMD LEDs in different colors: http://www.allspectrum.com/store/ind...bbfa303e73b47d
also you can buy them cheap on ebay, i found some lots of 5 SMD LEDs for $0.99 and free shipping
Apr 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
i get SMD leds on digikey for in the area of .10 cents each, 2.99 or less shipping. orange is cheapest.
as for soldering, get some flux. the stuff from radio shack may work, i never tried it, but the flux from digikey works, either the stuff you have to clean afterwards in the pen, a liquid, or the stuff in a syringe, a paste. i took the no-clean paste in the huge syringe, stole some used hyperdermic diabetis needles from the trash, and cut off the tip with a dremel and use it for the small SMD stuff i do. actually, the 0805 size are a little big for that setup.
just my .02
Apr 28, 2011, 08:57 PM
Gary
Thread OP
Thanks everyone. I will check out these sources.
Apr 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Power Wheels Guru
you can also search "1.8mm LED" on E-bay, as this is a popular size, that is better suited to micros than 3mm's.

This is what I made my machine guns LED from:

Apr 28, 2011, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull
........... stole some used hyperdermic diabetis needles from the trash..............
Good grief, don't ever attempt to shake my hand!!!!!!!!
Apr 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Gary
Thread OP
[QUOTE=UNGN;18099350]you can also search "1.8mm LED" on E-bay, as this is a popular size, that is better suited to micros than 3mm's.

This is what I made my machine guns LED from:

UNGN - I love your guns. what did you use for a driver to get the blink?
Apr 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein
UNGN - I love your guns. what did you use for a driver to get the blink?
I used a $2 4 LED Flashing Mouthpiece, but I'm currently experimenting with a $1 3 LED flasher from Dollar Tree.
Apr 29, 2011, 07:39 AM
UNGN Super job on your guns, Very cool...
I missed your posts on this.

Pete

Quick Reply