Apr 27, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

580mm (23") Tug KLIMEK construction

I've recently completed a small tug from a plan I found on the web. I enlarged this x3 on my scanner. This gave me the patterns for the frames and keel. Later I found much better detailed plans from Freeship plans. I used these for the finish work.
4mm ply frames and keel, stringers are 4mm sq pine, planking done with 10x2mm pine steamed to shape. Glued together with Gorilla glue.
I ripped the pine from a length of 100x10mm clear pine board (sawdust everywhere!!)
The deck and Bulwarks are done with 8mm birch ply. The plan patterns for the bow and stern Bulwarks was all wrong so I made new ones. The detailed plans gave me the correct profiles to aim for.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2011, 05:41 PM

Looks Great !

I wish I had the skills to do scratch builds ...
In time -
YOURS is looking Great !
Apr 27, 2011, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
More pix and some details. The prop shaft I made from various brass tubing as I couldn't find one short enough, drive connection universals are home made from various brass spacers I have around. Cabin is from 3mm balsa, lights from pine dowel turned up on my drillpress. Bitts from meat skewers and pine dowel, anchor winch from 08mm ply, balsa and dowel. Air vents from pine scrap carved to shape, life raft from pine scrap and thin wire, horn and searchlite from pine scrap. Funnel from balsa and a piece of old car antenna as the exhaust pipe.
Apr 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Very neat job Kiwi, and it shows what can be done with basic materials.

The model reminds me of a drawing I saw years ago for a Polish icebreaking tug named "Atlas II"---.
Apr 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
WELL !
That was great !
Whats next ???
Apr 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
I used a 12v motor out of an old hair dryer for power, (ample), and the radio is an old Futaba 27mhz AM unit. The speed control is one I made in the early 90's. Batteries, 7 cell 1.3A/H Nicad. I had to put a lot of weight in the bottom of the hull to get the scale waterline. Total weight is 1.8Kg.
The origional plastic prop I bought had to much cupping for effective reverse, Much cavitation and no slowing at all!). I made a metal prop to scale from the Freeship plans using a brass hub and blades cut from .015" shim steel, well soldered and painted. I think I'll get some brass shim and redo the prop tho.
A couple of pix of the inside included. I'll get some pix of it sailing soon.
May 07, 2011, 05:34 AM
Thread OP
Weather has been awful here recently, Rain, wind, cold and even a Tornado!!. Finally got some pix of her under way.
May 07, 2011, 12:01 PM
Woodfumbler......
Awsome lots of skill, and imagination...
May 08, 2011, 01:26 AM
nick 30
congrat's on an excellent build kiwi, i tend to use what i find in my BITS box aswell, one of my scratch build has various lego bits to make up nav lights, fog horns and other parts
May 08, 2011, 03:40 AM
Klimek is great tug. Friend of my is producing excellent kit of this tug. Fiberglass hull, superstructure, casted details. FOt Tug Towing competition this tug is not good choice, but looks great on the water and people have a lot of fun with it.
May 08, 2011, 03:45 AM
On the picture is kit of Klimek from my friends production. Scale is 1:25
May 08, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Interesting that the kit shows a Kort nozzle, the Freeship plans don't show that. My Klimek came out at 1/29th scale.
May 08, 2011, 10:30 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Nice looking kit. Is that a Maxxon motor he supplies with it?
May 09, 2011, 03:12 AM
I am sorry, but I do not know, what kind of motor is supplied, option is with out motor. It is cheaper.
May 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
RC Boat Crazy
Awesome build, it turned out great. One of these days I hope to try a plank on frame hull. Im not quite there yet.

Quick Reply