Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Aug 18, 2003, 03:00 AM
Denis Leveille
Denis Leveille
Guest

How to reverse servo direction


I used to run RC cars before I got into planes and still have many
components left. As a matter of fact, I have enough components left to build
a car for my 8 years old nephew. However, I only have an old Futaba
controller left and it does not have the capability to reverse servo
direction. As servo direction for one of the channels must be reversed, I
have thought of 2 ways to reverse it:

Cut the white and black servo wires and reverse them (ie solder white to
black and black to white). Servo is a Futaba 148.

Open the transmitter and reverse wires 1 and 3 on the servo pots.

Are these methods appropriate? Is there any better way to reverse direction?
I realise my question is not directly related to RC planes but this NG has
proven so informative in the past that I am taking the liberty to post here
nevertheless.








Aug 18, 2003, 03:00 AM
Paul McIntosh
Paul McIntosh
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


No, neither one is appropriate. The best way is to buy a small reversing
module from someone like RAM. The other way is to open the servo and
reverse the two wires going to the motor and the two outer wires on the pot.

--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
"Denis Leveille" <denis54@videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:FlX%a.29538$sa4.351220@wagner.videotron.net.. .
> I used to run RC cars before I got into planes and still have many
> components left. As a matter of fact, I have enough components left to

build
> a car for my 8 years old nephew. However, I only have an old Futaba
> controller left and it does not have the capability to reverse servo
> direction. As servo direction for one of the channels must be reversed, I
> have thought of 2 ways to reverse it:
>
> Cut the white and black servo wires and reverse them (ie solder white to
> black and black to white). Servo is a Futaba 148.
>
> Open the transmitter and reverse wires 1 and 3 on the servo pots.
>
> Are these methods appropriate? Is there any better way to reverse

direction?
> I realise my question is not directly related to RC planes but this NG has
> proven so informative in the past that I am taking the liberty to post

here
> nevertheless.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



Aug 19, 2003, 03:00 AM
Dr1Driver
Dr1Driver
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


> I
>have thought of 2 ways to reverse it:


Neither will work, and both will likely ruin the servo or the transmitter.

I believe the S148 has the motor hard-mounted to the PC board. This makes it
almost impossible to reverse the servo inside the servo case. I'm not sure
swapping the pot wires inside the TX case will work. Personally, I'd buy a
"servo reverser" lead.

Frankly, you sound like you don't know too much about the electronics of a
servo or TX. If that's the case, definately buy the commercial servo reverser.

The servo leads for Futaba are RED - positive, BLACK - negative, WHITE -
signal.
Reversing ANY leads going into the servo case will NOT reverse the servo. It's
not the voltage (rd & blk) that must be switched, but the input signal (wht).

If the servo was soft wired, as they used to be (Futaba S128 and others), you
could swap the wires to the motor AND feedback pot inside the servo case.

Again, i'd buy the commercial servo reverser, or a whole new R/C set.
Dr.1 Driver
"There's a Hun in the sun!"
Aug 19, 2003, 03:00 AM
CRAngelo
CRAngelo
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


>Are these methods appropriate? Is there any better way to reverse direction?

First, try moving the mechanical connection to the servo to the opposite arm of
the servo. If that can't be done then the servo reverser would be appropriate.
Hope this helps---Ray
Aug 19, 2003, 03:00 AM
Denis Leveille
Denis Leveille
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


I reversed the outer wires on the stick control pot. Everything works
perfectly without any problem. Thanks all for your inputs.



Aug 19, 2003, 03:00 AM
Paul McIntosh
Paul McIntosh
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


Does your trim still work the correct direction?

--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
"Denis Leveille" <denis54@videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:BV60b.31197$sa4.483283@wagner.videotron.net.. .
> I reversed the outer wires on the stick control pot. Everything works
> perfectly without any problem. Thanks all for your inputs.
>
>
>



Aug 19, 2003, 03:01 AM
Fred McClellan
Fred McClellan
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


On 18 Aug 2003 13:07:38 GMT, crangelo@aol.com (CRAngelo) wrote:

>>Are these methods appropriate? Is there any better way to reverse direction?

>
>First, try moving the mechanical connection to the servo to the opposite arm of
>the servo. If that can't be done then the servo reverser would be appropriate.
>Hope this helps---Ray


That's the better solution - mount the servo so the output is reversed
_mechanically_.

Connect to the other side of the output arm/wheel, mount it upside
down or lay it on the opposite side, depending on the original
orientation.
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Aug 19, 2003, 03:01 AM
David AMA40795 / KC5UH
David AMA40795 / KC5UH
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


I think you will find that the new Hitec Neon transmitter reverses the
servos by swapping the stick input to the PCB !!!!!!!!

Straight from the manual..........

Servo Reversing
After removing the back of the case you will find four plugs
(there are four plugs if you have the optional 4th channel feature).
Simply unplug and rotate the connector 180 degrees, plug it back onto
the board and the servo throw for that servo, is now reversed.

David

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:34:53 +0000 (UTC), "Paul McIntosh"
<paul@mcintoshcentral.com> wrote:

>Does your trim still work the correct direction?
>
>--
>Paul McIntosh
>Desert Sky Model Aviation
>http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com
>"Denis Leveille" <denis54@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>news:BV60b.31197$sa4.483283@wagner.videotron.net. ..
>> I reversed the outer wires on the stick control pot. Everything works
>> perfectly without any problem. Thanks all for your inputs.
>>
>>
>>

>
>


Aug 20, 2003, 03:00 AM
Jim Mullen
Jim Mullen
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


What I do if your radio wont do it. Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
opposite direction. Sometimes this puts the arm further from the surface but
who care its less than an inch movement away.

Normal
________

O
________

Turned around
________

O
________


Aug 20, 2003, 03:00 AM
Dr1Driver
Dr1Driver
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


>Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
>opposite direction.


Duh, Norm...the servo will rotate in the same direction no matter how you turn
it around. Think about it.
Dr.1 Driver
"There's a Hun in the sun!"
Aug 20, 2003, 03:00 AM
Sand57
Sand57
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


Maybe move the pushrod to the other side.

Dr1Driver wrote:

>>Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
>>opposite direction.
>>
>>

>
>Duh, Norm...the servo will rotate in the same direction no matter how you turn
>it around. Think about it.
>Dr.1 Driver
>"There's a Hun in the sun!"
>
>


Apr 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1Driver
>Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
>opposite direction.


Duh, Norm...the servo will rotate in the same direction no matter how you turn
it around. Think about it.
Dr.1 Driver
"There's a Hun in the sun!"
FLIP THE SERVO OVER NOT AROUND AND IT WILL WORK
May 01, 2009, 01:49 AM
RogerN
RogerN
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction



"Gerry E" <Gerry.E.3rhn8n@rcgroups.com> wrote in message
news:Gerry.E.3rhn8n@rcgroups.com...
>
> Dr1Driver Wrote:
>> >Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
>> >opposite direction.

>>
>> Duh, Norm...the servo will rotate in the same direction no matter how
>> you turn
>> it around. Think about it.
>> Dr.1 Driver
>> "There's a Hun in the sun!"

>
> FLIP THE SERVO OVER NOT AROUND AND IT WILL WORK
>
>
> --
> Gerry E
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gerry E's Profile: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=238903
> View this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143057
>


I used to reverse the old servos by reversing the motor leads and the pot
wires. I don't know if this is easily done with the newer servos.

RogerN


May 01, 2009, 09:38 AM
Tim Wescott
Tim Wescott
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


RogerN wrote:
> "Gerry E" <Gerry.E.3rhn8n@rcgroups.com> wrote in message
> news:Gerry.E.3rhn8n@rcgroups.com...
>> Dr1Driver Wrote:
>>>> Turn the servo around. Mount it in the
>>>> opposite direction.
>>> Duh, Norm...the servo will rotate in the same direction no matter how
>>> you turn
>>> it around. Think about it.
>>> Dr.1 Driver
>>> "There's a Hun in the sun!"

>> FLIP THE SERVO OVER NOT AROUND AND IT WILL WORK
>>
>>
>> --
>> Gerry E
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Gerry E's Profile: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=238903
>> View this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143057
>>

>
> I used to reverse the old servos by reversing the motor leads and the pot
> wires. I don't know if this is easily done with the newer servos.
>
> RogerN
>
>

I did it not too terribly long ago with an HS-55, but I've got a little
cobbled-together SMT assembly station in my electronics shop. I doubt
that I could do it without a microscope, although someone a decade or
two younger than I might.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Do you need to implement control loops in software?
"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you.
See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
May 01, 2009, 02:38 PM
rich
rich
Guest

Re: How to reverse servo direction


Reverse the servo's ARM...not the servo itself....


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How do I change the direction of my servos?? Dragonaut49 The Builders Workshop 12 Jan 05, 2017 12:10 PM
Help! How to Change Betaflight/Cleanflight Servo Direction rymass Beginner Multirotor Drones 12 Jul 19, 2016 07:05 AM
Discussion Revers Y servo Westwind76 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 15 Apr 19, 2013 03:46 AM
Discussion How are you're REVERS out of the box Allan Gibbs Electric Heli Talk 6 May 11, 2011 12:44 AM