Thread Tools
Dec 30, 2011, 04:33 PM
I prefer XT's
Phaeton's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
One of those contest movies inspired me to build the Carbon Cub. Amazing what those guys and planes are up to.

Yvo
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2012, 07:00 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
This might be what you're looking for to stretch balloons over. If you read my thread you'll see I've been looking for your post

... my super light closed cell foam wheels + your balloons... the most scale bushwheels to date

... I never did finish them, but now that I found your post my motivation has returned!


https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1714411






Dec 06, 2012, 07:33 AM
I prefer XT's
Phaeton's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
This might be what you're looking for to stretch balloons over. If you read my thread you'll see I've been looking for your post

... my super light closed cell foam wheels + your balloons... the most scale bushwheels to date

... I never did finish them, but now that I found your post my motivation has returned!


https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1714411


<snip>
Super !
Dec 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Great idea. I wonder if instead of using balloons (which degrade and dry-rot within a few months) if you could dip your foam wheels in "Plasti-Dip" or spray them with "Flex Seal".

Similar product that is cheaper than Flex Seal:
http://www.homearmor.com/product/hom...lexible-sealer

I'm not sure if they have solvents that would eat the foam...
Dec 06, 2012, 10:58 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
I have Plasti Dip... I use it for waterproofing parts of my RC cars for winter running and for "painting" shock springs. But the stuff is kind of heavy (if you use the dip and not the spray). My bigger concern is that it's loaded with solvent (stinks to high heaven)... like paint, the solvent is the carrier which evaporates once applied and the remaining coating is a bit thinner. In fact, when the can starts to dry out you thin it with Naphtha, Xylene or Toluene (those are the official thinners, some have used acetone). I'm pretty sure all of those are foam eating

EDIT
...would be easy enough for me to test on a scrap piece of my foam I guess.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:10 PM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
I just Googled it: Apparently, people who do Cosplay make costumes that are foam covered in Plasti-Dip. It's durable and doesn't eat the foam:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...am-Halo-armor/
Dec 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Problem is... what kind of foam?... there are so many different types (chemically). To give an example... I know any type of CA is safe to use in repairing the HZ Super Cub and it doesn't require "foam-safe" CA... that's usually a no-no on most other types of foam planes, it'll melt it.

The spongy closed cell foam used in some brands of RC tire inserts won't be eaten by acetone... but other brands using open cell will be destroyed by it

I don't know if the closed cell foam used in Du-Bro wheels and the kneeling pads I'm using for raw material is solvent resistant. Like I said, I could probably test the Plasti-Dip on some scrap... I could even put raw acetone on it
Dec 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
According to the tutorial, it's the same kind of foam you are using... the stuff they make kneeling pads out of.

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-armor
Dec 07, 2012, 12:46 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
According to the tutorial, it's the same kind of foam you are using... the stuff they make kneeling pads out of.

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-armor
Too bad they don't have a link to the floor mats they used... there are several different types of foam used for these things... one is a more spongy rubbery heavier foam that bends quite easily and isn't rigid (sort of floppy). The foam I have is the same as the Du-Bro foam tires... rigid, doesn't bend very much and is alot lighter in weight. Absolutely no way a balloon, no matter how tight it is, can compress it out of shape which is cool.

On a side note, I picked up some black balloons a little while ago... I'm excited! Will post some pics later. Just don't know how durable they'll be as a foam outer coating... especially landing on pavement. I'm wondering if there's something just a little thicker... like almost the thickness of a whoopie cushion... a bladder for something? Maybe the balloon would make a nice smooth surface for a base to use the spray version of the Plast-Dip on... and it wouldn't even matter if the Plast-Dip or similar product eats foam or not... as long as it doesn't eat latex
Dec 07, 2012, 07:24 AM
I prefer XT's
Phaeton's Avatar
Thread OP
I've tried the Plasti-dip spray a while ago. One down-side: When dry, it isn't flexible anymore, it even becomes brittle. I like my tundra tires to be "floppy", so that doesn't work with PD...

Yvo
Dec 07, 2012, 08:11 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Ok, then maybe I'll just look for some kind of thicker balloons. Have pulled an all nighter and need to crash but I'll post some pics later... these will be the most scale looking tundra tires I've ever seen... they blow away the Trexlers which really don't look that scale... they're too wide and balloony (I OCD about this kind of stuff )

I could just leave my tires as the natural foam... I did find some black foam and when it's sanded it does look just like rubber... but 2 halves glued together wasn't going to give me the width I wanted so I had to splice in a 3rd center piece and I took the lazy way out and just used a blue foam disc (same type) I bought from Michaels that was already the correct width. Spun the whole "sandwich" in my drill press like the first totally blue one I made and held the sanding blocks and paper against it to shape it. Turned out great but obviously has a blue stripe in the "tread" area. I tried to color the stripe with a sharpie but it's too dark. So the black balloon is my way of getting a completely consistent look to the whole tire. But I'm betting the first landing on a paved surface will peel a standard balloon right off


By the way, I've been looking at the windshields you made for your Cub and Carbon Cub and have been planning to do the same thing to my Hobbyzone Super Cub... I hate the non scale look of its windshield and side windows. I've already made the side ones scale but haven't done much playing around with the windshield other than a quick try at strategically cutting some black trim sheet to get the right shape while having it continue up over the center of the wing like you did. It's not easy!... going to be alot of trial and error and will probably never be perfect without actually being able to vacuum form a piece of plastic I also at the same time want to try to correct the slant of the factory windshield... it's all wrong for a cub ... which also might mean having to modify the shape of the top of the wings where they meet the fuse to match the windshield. I have my work cut out for me... I haven't even flown it yet!...

... was wondering if you have a flattened windshield template or something left over from your project that you could scan for me to scale and print and try as a starting point? Do you know of such a thing online for a cub?

EDIT Dec 8, 2013
I found an official Piper drawing for the flattened windshield pattern!
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 08, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Dec 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
I prefer XT's
Phaeton's Avatar
Thread OP
For the windshield I took a piece of paper from which I made a rough shape for the transparent plastic. And discarded it. So no example

And yes, a lot of trial and error and reshaping and make it more perfect. But that's also the fun of it. Flying can be done later

One advantage, not-so-perfect details that bother you in the beginning will fade after a week or so.

I didn't fly mine yet either, but as far as durability of the balloons goes, the less tension or inflated, the more durable they will remain. And when the looks are good, changing balloons after a few flights or so is fun. Or use two balloons per tire

Yvo


Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Ok, then maybe I'll just look for some kind of thicker balloons. Have pulled an all nighter and need to crash but I'll post some pics later... these will be the most scale looking tundra tires I've ever seen... they blow away the Trexlers which really don't look that scale... they're too wide and balloony (I OCD about this kind of stuff )

I could just leave my tires as the natural foam... I did find some black foam and when it's sanded it does look just like rubber... but 2 halves glued together wasn't going to give me the width I wanted so I had to splice in a 3rd center piece and I took the lazy way out and just used a blue foam disc (same type) I bought from Michaels that was already the correct width. Spun the whole "sandwich" in my drill press like the first totally blue one I made and held the sanding blocks and paper against it to shape it. Turned out great but obviously has a blue stripe in the "tread" area. I tried to color the stripe with a sharpie but it's too dark. So the black balloon is my way of getting a completely consistent look to the whole tire. But I'm betting the first landing on a paved surface will peel a standard balloon right off


By the way, I've been looking at the windshields you made for your Cub and Carbon Cub and have been planning to do the same thing to my Hobbyzone Super Cub... I hate the non scale look of its windshield and side windows. I've already made the side ones scale but haven't done much playing around with the windshield other than a quick try at strategically cutting some black trim sheet to get the right shape while having it continue up over the center of the wing like you did. It's not easy!... going to be alot of trial and error and will probably never be perfect without actually being able to vacuum form a piece of plastic I also at the same time want to try to correct the slant of the factory windshield... it's all wrong for a cub ... which also might mean having to modify the shape of the top of the wings where they meet the fuse to match the windshield. I have my work cut out for me... I haven't even flown it yet!...

... was wondering if you have a flattened windshield template or something left over from your project that you could scan for me to scale and print and try as a starting point? Do you know of such a thing online for a cub?
Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton
I've tried the Plasti-dip spray a while ago. One down-side: When dry, it isn't flexible anymore, it even becomes brittle. I like my tundra tires to be "floppy", so that doesn't work with PD...

Yvo

That's why I wonder if the "Flex-Seal" will be better... if it doesn't eat the foam.
Dec 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
Always Ready!
warhead_71's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Too bad they don't have a link to the floor mats they used... there are several different types of foam used for these things... one is a more spongy rubbery heavier foam that bends quite easily and isn't rigid (sort of floppy).
They do list the type of foam they use, including links to purchase them.
Dec 07, 2012, 07:02 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
They do list the type of foam they use, including links to purchase them.
I saw what I thought was a link... it was underlined, but clicking it did nothing... weird.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to see... looks like those are the rubbery spongy floppy ones I see in my local stores. Hard to say for sure.

Just got up... will post some pics later.... need to head out to find elastic string (aka shock cord, elastic cord etc.) to simulate a scale suspension system on my Super Cub )


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Large Scale Tundra Tires FlyingW Giant Scale Airplanes 180 Feb 14, 2016 09:29 PM
Found DuBro Tundra 5.5" Tires MinneFlyer Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Jun 28, 2010 07:21 AM
Discussion 1.2m Piper Super Cub - Tundra & Floats kiwilama Scale ARF/RTF 3 Apr 26, 2010 03:55 AM
Discussion Balloon (tundra) design tires for Elect. flight realtimerecon Product Announcements 1 Feb 15, 2009 12:39 PM
Help! Tundra Tires Jonas M. The Builders Workshop 7 Dec 26, 2008 11:20 PM